Question OC advice on a MSI armour rx 580 8gb OC edition 2048 SP.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Hi im running the MSI armour rx 580 8gb OC 2048sp alongside an Intel i5 4690.

I'm wondering how far I can go on an overclock with the GPU, safely... bearing in mind I'm a noob learning as I go.

Could anyone give me the basics on overclocking. It has a program with it - MSI afterburner. This overclocking facility allows me to tweak the memory clock, core clock etc.

Any pointers/things to be careful with would be great.

Thanks in advance

You need to OC in small increments first, and check for the system/GPU stability..

Try to not increase the frequency higher than 5% on both the core and memory clocks. Example: suppose if your card runs at 1500 MHz, then you shouldn't increase the frequency any higher than 25-50 MHz. If the system is showing artifacts, polygons, and/or it freezes, then you need to dial down the speed in small increments, like e.g. 25 MHz.

Start with 25MHz. You need to observe at which frequency the GPU gives you a stable result. OC can be risky, if done incorrectly, so be very careful when overclocking.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
You need to OC in small increments first, and check for the system/GPU stability..

Try to not increase the frequency higher than 5% on both the core and memory clocks. Example: suppose if your card runs at 1500 MHz, then you shouldn't increase the frequency any higher than 25-50 MHz. If the system is showing artifacts, polygons, and/or it freezes, then you need to dial down the speed in small increments, like e.g. 25 MHz.

Start with 25MHz. You need to observe at which frequency the GPU gives you a stable result. OC can be risky, if done incorrectly, so be very careful when overclocking.

That's excellent advice. So what do I look for with regard to monitoring stability. I have HWinfo.

Il start my increasing by 5% as you suggested. Is this the memory of core clock.. or both? It also allows me to adjust power limit (although not confident about touching that).

Il start my increasing by 5% as you suggested. Is this the memory of core clock.. or both?

BOTH.. For the system stability, you need to look for artifacts, polygons, or a system FREEZE/hang after applying the overclocking settings. If you don't observe any of these, then you are safe.

Voltage and heat are the things you want to watch out for. Only increase voltage if your temperature values are safe at FULL load. All components have different voltage tolerances.Voltage increases always should be tiny.

The basics of overclocking:
  • Increase Mhz
  • Test (Prime95 or Heaven, or any other benchmark for ~5-10 mins)
  • Repeat until it fails.
  • Lower Mhz OR increase voltage
  • Repeat.
Once you have your maximum stable core overclock figured out, you can do the same for the Memory. Now, memory OC's generally don't provide that much FPS gains, so it's up to you if you even want to tweak this setting as well. You use the exact same process as your CORE overclock, and take it as high as you can.

Move the Core slider up 25-50 Mhz. Run Heaven for 5-10 mins, watch your temps, etc. It's the same as CPU overclocking. Once you get a driver crash, system freeze, or see visual anomalies, then dial it back to 10-20 Mhz, and then try again.

Last edited:

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Forgot to ask this before. What's the make/model number of your current PSU ?

Thank you that's as clear as it could be for me. Understand perfectly. I'm downloading heaven now to monitor mate. Il do exactly as said, not gonna touch memory clock. But increase by the percentage you suggest.

The PSU I have came with an acer predator G3-605 ... (ms 7869 motherboard setup) it's a 500w 80+ bronze rated PSU.

So would monitoring PSU temperatures be needed also?

Really appreciate this advice!

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Are you facing poor performance, with the current stock factory clock speed settings/values, so now you want to OC ?
Not on every game, most games play at 40 fps on ultra/very high settings, however, theres one game that's caved my brain in!

Its called X4- foundations. This game is demanding, even after OC GPU (after this threads advice) it's frame rate is terrible.

Managed to OC and gain a few hundred Mhz on the GPU but the game still runs poorly. So i just wanted an OC profile for games like this. But even after doing so the games unplayable. It's crazy

X4- foundations.

For the performance of this particular game, try asking over at the game's official Forums as well. They might have some solution, or workaround, IMO. STEAM reviews are a bit negative/mixed though. The poor performance might be attributed to the Game's ENGINE itself, poor optimization.

The DEVs recently created a new engine based on VULKAN (old engine was more than 12 years old), because the X Universe has always been a real CPU hog, so utilizing the CPU to its best in terms of the graphics API will free up more resources for the actual simulation of the universe. Doesn't seem to bode well though.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
For the performance of this particular game, try asking over at the game's official Forums as well. They might have some solution, or workaround, IMO. STEAM reviews are a bit negative/mixed though. The poor performance might be attributed to the Game's ENGINE itself, poor optimization.

The DEVs recently created a new engine based on VULKAN (old engine was more than 12 years old), because the X Universe has always been a real CPU hog, so utilizing the CPU to its best in terms of the graphics API will free up more resources for the actual simulation of the universe. Doesn't seem to bode well though.

I deleted the game. Got so majorly done with trying to sort it I decided I'd rather never find out what it's like.

Darn tho I wanted to explore the universe 😑 thanks for the advice metal messiah!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

lux1109

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 30, 2019
Not on every game, most games play at 40 fps on ultra/very high settings, however, theres one game that's caved my brain in!

Its called X4- foundations. This game is demanding, even after OC GPU (after this threads advice) it's frame rate is terrible.

Managed to OC and gain a few hundred Mhz on the GPU but the game still runs poorly. So i just wanted an OC profile for games like this. But even after doing so the games unplayable. It's crazy

Okay. I don't play that game, so I can't comment on this. Like MM mentioned above, try asking at the official game forums as well ?