Question OC Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palladinoandrea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
I have a build with:
R5 5600x
Msi tomwark max 2 b450
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 ram
Psu Paris from 650w
Deepcool aio captain 240 rgb heatsink

I would like to know if it is possible / how to increase the piston speed by adjusting both the voltage and the phase

Last edited:
I have a build with:
R5 5600x
Msi tomwark max 2 b450
Psu Paris from 650w

I would like to know if it is possible / how to increase the piston speed by adjusting both the voltage and the phase
could you tell the corsair ver. in the ram sticker label? it is something like this:
VengeanceLPX_09.jpg

I have a build with:
R5 5600x
Msi tomwark max 2 b450
Psu Paris from 650w

Piston speed ?? Is it 2 or 4 stroke engine, maybe diesel ??
Just joking, couldn't help it, an old engine tuner here.
Success of memory OC (over XMP) differs widely from case to case so you have to experiment a lot.
Voltage wise, DDR4 is good up to 1.5-1.6v but some normal voltages are 1.2v for under 3000MHz and 1.35 for faster.
5000 series Ryzen IMC is good to 4000MHz but your MB and it's BIOS may not be as capable. First thing would be to set voltage to at least 1.35v and raise frequency by one step and stress test. Go from there,

palladinoandrea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
Piston speed ?? Is it 2 or 4 stroke engine, maybe diesel ??
Just joking, couldn't help it, an old engine tuner here.
Success of memory OC (over XMP) differs widely from case to case so you have to experiment a lot.
Voltage wise, DDR4 is good up to 1.5-1.6v but some normal voltages are 1.2v for under 3000MHz and 1.35 for faster.
5000 series Ryzen IMC is good to 4000MHz but your MB and it's BIOS may not be as capable. First thing would be to set voltage to at least 1.35v and raise frequency by one step and stress test. Go from there,

so I don't use the "memory test" function?

so I don't use the "memory test" function?
That's just compatibility test in case BIOS can't find JEDEC settings. . OCing over XMP is manual job in BIOS and you have to check for stability in real life. You can use one like this https://hcidesign.com/memtest/ along with benchmarks. There's many more settings beside just MHz and Voltage.
To see what all settings are in on page https://www.techpowerup.com/download/amd-ryzen-zen-timings/
And to see details about your RAM http://softnology.biz/files.html

palladinoandrea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
That's just compatibility test in case BIOS can't find JEDEC settings. . OCing over XMP is manual job in BIOS and you have to check for stability in real life. You can use one like this https://hcidesign.com/memtest/ along with benchmarks. There's many more settings beside just MHz and Voltage.
To see what all settings are in on page https://www.techpowerup.com/download/amd-ryzen-zen-timings/
And to see details about your RAM http://softnology.biz/files.html

then with the program:
typhoon

ryzen timing @2933mhz set memory try

memtest

3.20 means Micron 4Gbit rev A (source here), this means your ram might be on 2Rx8 (or dual rank) configuration in each sticks. try to google around and see their settings, and try it on yours.

For ram stability settings, use TM5 with Absolut config (open app, click load settings, choose absolut.cfg, it will auto close the app, disable ALL startup apps, reboot, then run TM5 as admin) and wait till it finishes 3 cycles. if there is no error found, then your ram is stable, atleast if you didn't feel any bsods while gpu is under load.

The usual test i always do is TM5 with that absolut config with also running Furmark to simulate the hottest case temp, then to obtain the absolute stability on ram during the worst case scenario. That way you wont have to worry if you're under full load in any components.

Memtest is not a great app to detect errors on OC as per what i've read on oc forums and subreddits, hence why it is avoided.

You could try to read here about ram overclocking more. 5600X wont pass more than 3866 usually, 3933/66 if good bin, 4000 if really good bin. since the I/O die is the same as ryzen 3000 series cpu, the limit is still around within it.

Goodluck, have fun (will be waiting for results XD)

Last edited:

palladinoandrea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
3.20 means Micron 4Gbit rev A (source here), this means your ram might be on 2Rx8 (or dual rank) configuration in each sticks. try to google around and see their settings, and try it on yours.

For ram stability settings, use TM5 with Absolut config (open app, click load settings, choose absolut.cfg, it will auto close the app, disable ALL startup apps, reboot, then run TM5 as admin) and wait till it finishes 3 cycles. if there is no error found, then your ram is stable, atleast if you didn't feel any bsods while gpu is under load.

Il solito test che faccio sempre è TM5 con quella configurazione assoluta con anche l'esecuzione di Furmark per simulare la temperatura del caso più calda, quindi per ottenere la stabilità assoluta sulla ram durante lo scenario peggiore. In questo modo non dovrai preoccuparti se sei a pieno carico in qualsiasi componente.

Memtest non è un'ottima app per rilevare errori su OC secondo quello che ho letto su forum e subreddit di oc, quindi perché viene evitato.

Potresti provare a leggere di più qui sull'overclocking della ram . 5600X non passerà più di 3866 di solito, 3933/66 se bin buono, 4000 se bin davvero buono. poiché il die di I/O è lo stesso della CPU della serie ryzen 3000, il limite è ancora al suo interno.

Buona fortuna, buon divertimento (aspetterò i risultati XD)
[/CITAZIONE]

The usual test i always do is TM5 with that absolut config with also running Furmark to simulate the hottest case temp, then to obtain the absolute stability on ram during the worst case scenario. That way you wont have to worry if you're under full load in any components.

Memtest is not a great app to detect errors on OC as per what i've read on oc forums and subreddits, hence why it is avoided.

You could try to read here about ram overclocking more. 5600X wont pass more than 3866 usually, 3933/66 if good bin, 4000 if really good bin. since the I/O die is the same as ryzen 3000 series cpu, the limit is still around within it.

Goodluck, have fun (will be waiting for results XD)
I will try with that software (I was not aware of it)
While for oc there is no computer because my fear is to tamper with some important parameter or to find that non-optimized stability.
I also did an oc for the cpu and I have the same fear

Ram is binned.
Ram capable of reliably running at speeds faster than 2400 will be sold as faster ram for a higher price. You may get lucky, but do not count on it.
Yes, ryzen performance is tightly tied to fast ram.
Overclocking might gain you a notch.
It could not hurt to try.

But is the hassle worth it?
Why not just buy a replacement kit of compatible 3600 speed ram.
It might cost you $60.

palladinoandrea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
Ram is binned.
Ram capable of reliably running at speeds faster than 2400 will be sold as faster ram for a higher price. You may get lucky, but do not count on it.
Yes, ryzen performance is tightly tied to fast ram.
Overclocking might gain you a notch.
It could not hurt to try.

But is the hassle worth it?
Why not just buy a replacement kit of compatible 3600 speed ram.
It might cost you $60.
And the Corsair are good? I'm talking about the same series I have but with the 3200 version.
If I buy the 3200, can I increase a 4000?

And the Corsair are good? I'm talking about the same series I have but with the 3200 version.
Corsair ram is very good.
If you want 4000 speed, buy 4000 speed.
Of course 4000 speed will cost you a bit more.
If you buy 3200 speed you will get 3000 speed.
If you have a good overclocking motherboard, you might be able to go higher, buy not by much and do not count on it.

There is another factor in performance called timings.
Higher speeds are accompanied by higher timings.
When you try to oc, that is one of the tradeoffs you will likely make.
3600 speed ram that is not expensive will have cas 18 timings.
3500 speed ram with cas 16 timings performs better but will be more expensive.

The last factor is looks. You will spend more for flashy ram or rgb bling.
But the exact same ram can be bought plain for less.
For example Corsair LPX 3600 cas18-22-22-42 sells for $55.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236677
The very similar(yes, a tad better) spec 3600 speed cas 18-19-19-39 Dominator platinum rgb sells for $115.
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236677

Shop wisely.

being good or not is always depends on the ram ic and luck of lottery. If you could, avoid any corsairs that have ver. 4.32 because it's samsung C die and it's the worst, ic, for overclocking.

If you do want to OC and tryna keep it cheap, try to find corsair with 4.31 ones theyre mostly samsung B die that's popular among OCers, or try to find ram from Klevv, PNY, and V-Color, they usually use Hynix DJR on their latest kits. Hynix DJR is good at oc with decent priced (my kit could do from 3600 to 4133), or Crucial Ballistix and hope you do get the one that have Micron 8Gbit Rev E OR 16Gbit Rev B, they're both monsters at OC cause you could still abuse the heat inside the case without getting errors at oc, idk why but both microns are known not to be temp sensitive (even till 50c lol).

You want to do 4000mhz? if you want to do it 1:1 (UCLK:FCLK) then change 5600x to 5600g, you wont have any problem to do it. on 5600X is kinda impossible to do 1:1 at 4000mhz unless you get a very good bin.

palladinoandrea

Prominent
Aug 17, 2022
being good or not is always depends on the ram ic and luck of lottery. If you could, avoid any corsairs that have ver. 4.32 because it's samsung C die and it's the worst, ic, for overclocking.

Se vuoi fare OC e provare a mantenerlo a buon mercato, prova a trovare corsaro con 4.31 quelli sono principalmente Samsung B die che è popolare tra gli OCers, o prova a trovare ram da Klevv, PNY e V-Color, di solito usano Hynix DJR su i loro ultimi kit. Hynix DJR è bravo in oc con un prezzo decente (il mio kit potrebbe andare da 3600 a 4133), o Crucial Ballistix e spero che tu abbia quello che ha Micron 8Gbit Rev E O 16Gbit Rev B, sono entrambi mostri in OC perché te potrebbe ancora abusare del calore all'interno del case senza ottenere errori su oc, idk perché, ma è noto che entrambi i micron non sono sensibili alla temperatura (anche fino a 50c lol).

Vuoi fare 4000 mhz? se vuoi farlo 1:1 (UCLK:FCLK), cambia 5600x in 5600g, non avrai problemi a farlo. su 5600X è quasi impossibile fare 1:1 a 4000 mhz a meno che non si ottenga un cestino molto buono.
[/CITAZIONE]

If you do want to OC and tryna keep it cheap, try to find corsair with 4.31 ones theyre mostly samsung B die that's popular among OCers, or try to find ram from Klevv, PNY, and V-Color, they usually use Hynix DJR on their latest kits. Hynix DJR is good at oc with decent priced (my kit could do from 3600 to 4133), or Crucial Ballistix and hope you do get the one that have Micron 8Gbit Rev E OR 16Gbit Rev B, they're both monsters at OC cause you could still abuse the heat inside the case without getting errors at oc, idk why but both microns are known not to be temp sensitive (even till 50c lol).

You want to do 4000mhz? if you want to do it 1:1 (UCLK:FCLK) then change 5600x to 5600g, you wont have any problem to do it. on 5600X is kinda impossible to do 1:1 at 4000mhz unless you get a very good bin.
I did not understand the fact of the cpu. Does the 5600 support higher frequencies?

I did not understand the fact of the cpu. Does the 5600 support higher frequencies?
What i meant is, 5600 and 5600X are using the same I/O Die as from Ryzen 3000 series cpu, fabbed at 12nm from GloFo, hence the limitation of the frequency is under 4000mhz, might be maxxed out at 3866/3933 at 1:1 ratio (UCLK and FCLK Synced). Remember as for now current Ryzen CPUS use Chiplet architecture, meaning that the Core dies have its own dies, and the i/o dies are on a separate die, and if you see the xray or the delidded ryzen cpus it got 2 or 3 silicon in it.

As for Ryzen 5 5500 and 5600G, they're APU based architechture (with 5500 having the igpu lasered off), packed in a monolithic die with having the benefit of IO die fabbed as one unity at 7nm TSMC and having shorter FCLK path, hence why it could do above 4000mhz at 1:1 ratio without any struggle at all, the fact that i could do 4133 on a 5600G without any hassle is the proof that if you want to run 4000mhz or anything above 3600 at 1:1 guranteed without the struggle, go with 5500 or 5600G.

It's not a matter of "support higher freq", but it's more to "how far could it run".

Status
Not open for further replies.