arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i OC`d my amd 64 3200+ from 2000 mhz up to 2400 mhz and my score on 3d marks 2005 went from 3396 to 3400
what the heck is that?

are you going to bark all day little doggie?
or are you going to bite?

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
3Dmarks 05 isnt cpu limited.

Some people are like slinkies....
Not really good for anything but you cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
but the benchmarks didn`t seem to indicate any benefit
i`m not too sure the oc was successful. i used 3dmarks 05
how should i benchmark this cpu?
and i also got to about 44-46 c is this an ok temp to be at?

endyen

Splendid
Try 01, or Sandra. Even the cpu score in 03 will tell you something. Since your temps went up, I am pretty sure you didn't try to go to a higher multiplier. Good, cause that wont work. You set your FSB to 240 right? Is your memory running in sync? If so, your system will outperform a 3800 by a couple of %.
3D mark 05 is strictly a graphics benchmark. It wont show any change until you drop down to about an xp.

Did you look at the CPU marks?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
you mean under 3d marks?
then yes and they actually went down by like 30-40 points!

Refresh everyone on your system specs.

Sounds like your OC may not be completely stable. What are all of the settings you changed for the OC? What are your memory timings?

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Maybe it isn't actually OC'd.

Bios might show that it is but in reality it is not being OC for some reason.

<font color=red><b>DCB</b></font color=red><font color=white><b>_</b></font color=white><font color=blue><b>AU</b></font color=blue>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i used the asus ai utility to oc and yes it increased the fsb to 240 but i didn`t see any cpu increase
i guess my memory timings if 2225 are too aggressive for this speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, the AI utility, OK. Well, your RAM is probably running asynchronously at 4/5 CPU bus clock, which would be DDR384. Who knows what else "overclocking for dummies" backed off on.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well i updated the MB bios
and i will reinstall the ai nos utility and try to oc again
i have a feeling it did not install correctly the first time
i do not have much faith in asus programs the others that came with the board seem to be of low quality for instance the bios update utility couldn`t find the correct server to download even after dozens of attempts.
i think i will have to manually increase the fsb myself
but first i will re-read the faq