OC effects on HDs

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I have a Soyo in which I can OC the FSB and PCI clocks. Not too worried about the CPU and mobo, but I wonder what effects it can have on the HD. I assume a higher freq means higher voltage and more heat and less stability for the HD?

Anyone have any data on what the safe range for OC on HDs is?

thx

The only effect on your drive will be if your PSU is unable to supply adequate power to it (or any other parts) after the extra draw from overclocking.

Perhaps the extra heat in the case might be a side effect too. Add a case fan or two to prevent this.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Actually it's more than that. The IDE controller is connected to the PCI so therefore when you overclock the FSB, the PCI bus and IDE controller are affected. As the PCI bus is overclocked, errors start to occur. The IDE controller however asks for the data to be resent if it is corrupted. This makes the hard drive slow down on moderate overclocks. On major FSB overclocks corrupted data may actually be written on disk.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Take a look <A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/opt/oc/index.htm" target="_new">here</A> or do a search on OC. Learn as much as you can before you take the plunge, unless you can live with a toasted M/B, CPU, and possibly dead DRAM. Don't worry about your HDD's, they will whirl down after the smoke clears.

Seriously, read up on OC before you attempt it. There are plenty of smart OC'er here, so take their advice, but most of all study the topic, because you won't be fast enough to kill the power if something goes wrong.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

TRENDING THREADS