OC fx 8120 help

Bryan87

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I'm trying to get 4ghz OC but I'm only getting 3.8ghz stable. My cpu turbo is listed at 4ghz. I've turned off coolnquiet,C1E,Turbo, OC Genie already. I tried upping voltage a bit but it makes it unstable. Heat is under 40degrees celsius at 3.8gh running prime95. I've tried higher voltage and it varies if I get an error or instant restart of pc. Any thoughts?

FX-8120
Hyper 212 evo
600w corsaircx
R9 280
760GM-P34
1 intake in front, 1 exaust

Solution
Hello Bryan,

Your first problem is the FX-8120 cpu you have i`m sorry to say.
The Fx cpu you have uses the older type of architecture based on steamroller silicone.

The old steamrollers, were never any good at overclocking and run slightly more hotter than an FX based cpu designed
with the newer Vishera core.

Add to the fact you are running a motherboard also with an AMD 760G chipset on board.

Also known to be very bad at any overclocking attempts, is the reason why even though you have upped the cpu core voltage of the FX-8120 cpu why it will not overclock to 4Ghz when trying to manually overclock the chip.

If you swapped the Current cpu for a 8320 using the Vishera silicone architecture you may have better luck trying to...
Hello Bryan,

Your first problem is the FX-8120 cpu you have i`m sorry to say.
The Fx cpu you have uses the older type of architecture based on steamroller silicone.

The old steamrollers, were never any good at overclocking and run slightly more hotter than an FX based cpu designed
with the newer Vishera core.

Add to the fact you are running a motherboard also with an AMD 760G chipset on board.

Also known to be very bad at any overclocking attempts, is the reason why even though you have upped the cpu core voltage of the FX-8120 cpu why it will not overclock to 4Ghz when trying to manually overclock the chip.

If you swapped the Current cpu for a 8320 using the Vishera silicone architecture you may have better luck trying to overclock the cpu.

I had a FX-4130 cpu and had all of the same problems untill I bought a FX-4300 using the Vishera core.

Basically unless you replace your current motherboard for one that uses a 970 or 990 motherboard chip set and a Vishera based cpu core your hardly going to achieve any sort of overclocking on your system.

It`s more of a case as leaving it as is, until you upgrade the cpu and motherboard for newer models of cpu and motherboard.
On the plus side, a Vishera core based cpu is faster by about 24% when it comes to day to day running of programs or games Bryan.

Solution

Bryan87

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Yeah thats what I figured too. I was hoping to squeeze 4ghz out wasn't expecting the 4.5ghz that most get on this cpu. Oh well 3.8 will do for now. I just hate 20 fps on Planetside2 when there is 300+ people on my screen. At least I can play on ultra and only suffer badly in the largest of fights

Well my cpu doesn't ever get hot. Running prime95 it never went above 40 at a low OC of 3.8. So my guess was my $50 mobo. Its like 3 years old so I'll ride it out till I feel like buying bigger case for room, and better mobo

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

Think you got your architectures mixed up a bit there.
The FX-8120 CPU is based on the Bulldozer architecture
The FX-8320 CPU is based on the Piledriver architecture
There are no Steamroller AM3+ CPUs
Vishera is just a code name for Piledriver.

Bryan87

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
If I just use amd overdrive in catalyst control center. to occasionally overclock. Do the same rules apply where in bios I want to disable turbo C1E, cool n quiet?

TRENDING THREADS