[SOLVED] OC i5 6600K Results

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Hello! I overclocked my i5 6600k last time (I have this CPU 3 years and through all these 3 years i didin't oc it) My motherboard is MSI Z170A Gaming M3. I got stable 4.5Ghz with 1.190v (always 1.184-1.192) temperatures after 1h of testing in aida64 are 62*C max average 58-60 with Dark Rock Pro 4. Is it good result? Should I go more for some 4.7/4.8 is it real? It was my first OC in entire life.

It's not a bad overclock.
I would test with more than AIDA64 though. Load up RealBench and run a 30 min stress test with half your RAM selected and see what your temps get to. RealBench also stresses your GPU and PSU. If you just want to stress your CPU, run Prime95 torture test (with AVX off) for 30 mins.

Reactions: Ateretu

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
I tried Prime95 but after few seconds i got this:

[Fri Feb 21 15:46:36 2020]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999961336, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4964097877, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Final result was B49014DB, expected: 87610A79.
Self-test 288K passed!

Looks like 3 of 4 cores has Hardware failure 1 was still stress testing
Temperatures was 69*C but only for moment because after that I got this errors

I don't see a point to increase voltage for me, PC didin't crashed, my every games are running okay with good temperatures or I'm wrong and I should do something with this

EDIT: I made Cinebench test few minutes ago. It passed without any problem 60*C max

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
I tried Prime95 but after few seconds i got this:

[Fri Feb 21 15:46:36 2020]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4999961336, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4964097877, expected less than 0.4
FATAL ERROR: Final result was B49014DB, expected: 87610A79.
Self-test 288K passed!

Looks like 3 of 4 cores has Hardware failure 1 was still stress testing
Temperatures was 69*C but only for moment because after that I got this errors

I don't see a point to increase voltage for me, PC didin't crashed, my every games are running okay with good temperatures or I'm wrong and I should do something with this

EDIT: I made Cinebench test few minutes ago. It passed without any problem 60*C max

Your overclock is not stable, you will risk data corruption. Given that you are getting errors, not BSOD and restarts. This would mean you are close to being stable.

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Sorry, you were right it isn't stable, aida was too weak. I turned on stress test on 1.9 and windows crashed. There is problem with worker 2 only second worker is giving me 1 error after few seconds i changed from 1.19 to 1.24 and problem still exists... Should I test cpu with prime and avx option enabled or disabled? Like
alceryes said

zx128k

Reputable
Sorry, you were right it isn't stable, aida was too weak. I turned on stress test on 1.9 and windows crashed. There is problem with worker 2 only second worker is giving me 1 error after few seconds i changed from 1.19 to 1.24 and problem still exists... Should I test cpu with prime and avx option enabled or disabled? Like
alceryes said

I have always used pime95 with avx or aida64 cpu FPU. Other people don't because of the heat. I have very good cooling for my cpu. Aida64 is recommended because it tests all the instructions. Aida64 cpu FPU run just on its own is brutal too.

Ateretu

Reputable
Feb 19, 2020
Okay I give up thanks for disaster warning! I restored bios to defaults... I'm not gonna touch this cpu without any deild or smth isn't worth. Should I test cpu after this everything in stress test programs or bios reset should be enough?

Okay I give up thanks for disaster warning! I restored bios to defaults... I'm not gonna touch this cpu without any deild or smth isn't worth. Should I test cpu after this everything in stress test programs or bios reset should be enough?

Sure. It's always good to get a baseline.
Prime95 with AVX puts your CPU through stresses that it most likely will never see through normal usage. It's still a valid stress/heat test though. I've switched to using RealBench for a more realistic stress test. I also like RealBench because it stresses your CPU, RAM, GPU, and PSU all in one shot.