Question OC i5 6600k what kind of stress tests should I do?

Jul 23, 2020
I oc at 4.0ghz with a stock voltage of 1.165v

What kind of stability tests do I need to do?

I've done Aida64 stability tests for over 3 hours now without any visual feedbacks, I'm gonna continue though.

I'm planning to do a 30 min Realbench stress test next and wanted to know if there are more tests I need to do, Temperatures at max are at 46 degrees for now.

Specs:
Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAX 400S Intel
Motherboard: Z170-HD3P-CF
Ram: G Skill Ripjaws v 8gb 2400mhz x2
SSD/HDD: (I Don't know the specifics, but I have a 1 TB HDD and a samsung evo 250 GB SSD)
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 700w

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I tend to do a Realbench test for 4 hours since it stresses the ram, the GPU and the CPU as well. For every increment in clocks(CPU or Ram) I'd run a 4 hour test on it. The thing most people should say is choose a benchmarking tool of your choice. You just need to keep an arsenal of tools to verify that the overclock is stable across a range of tests not just one.

OH, ditch that PSU ASAP! It's only a firecracker! Furthermore, you should've gone with a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit as opposed to a DDR4-2400MHz ram kit. I suppose you could overclock the rams manually but then again I think you'd need more voltage than 1.35v on the rams(and some patience since it will take some trial and errors).

FYI, that processor can go to 4.5 and beyond with 1.25v volts. How are your temps looking?

Jul 23, 2020
I tend to do a Realbench test for 4 hours since it stresses the ram, the GPU and the CPU as well. For every increment in clocks(CPU or Ram) I'd run a 4 hour test on it. The thing most people should say is choose a benchmarking tool of your choice. You just need to keep an arsenal of tools to verify that the overclock is stable across a range of tests not just one.

tested Aida64 for over 2 hour
Still nothing.
Realbench 30 mins stress test and everything seems stable and also did some cinemabench R20 tests.
everything is still A okay.

Also played RDR2 for about 4 more hours earlier, never had a crash, BSOD or spike in temperatures and all stayed below 60C.
OH, ditch that PSU ASAP! It's only a firecracker! Furthermore, you should've gone with a DDR4-3200MHz ram kit as opposed to a DDR4-2400MHz ram kit. I suppose you could overclock the rams manually but then again I think you'd need more voltage than 1.35v on the rams(and some patience since it will take some trial and errors).

Oh, is it that bad? It's been with me for 2 years and never had a problem with it, though I have to turn off the RGB thingy since it's really not my style.

Also i live in an area where theres usually brownouts when theres a huge tropical depression, and experienced a couple of brownouts and it didn't fry my system.

Also, I either have the 750w or the 700w, i'd need to find the box to make sure.

FYI, that processor can go to 4.5 and beyond with 1.25v volts. How are your temps looking?
Yeah, I overclocked to 4.2 Ghz ( earlier it was 4.0 Ghz) with a voltage of 1.165V. Haven't upped the clock ratio again since i'm still doing some stress test on 4.2 Ghz

I'm currently getting a minimum of 27 C and a maximum of 52C (except for core 1 which seems to be in min/max of 29C and 56C)

On full load it averages between 41 to 48C, while on idle it is on 27 to 30C range

Last edited: