OC i7-8700k to 4.8GHz. What voltage ?

Nov 10, 2018
Hi guys,

Just bought myself a new gaming configuration with an i7-8700k with the will to OC it. I am cooling it with a Be Quiet Silent loop 360 (AIO).
I pushed the ratio to 48 and set the vcore voltage to 1.3V. Everything goes fine when booting.
Idle temps are about 33C and when under P95, Blend test, it stabilizes after a few mins in the low 60sC and after some time rises to 70-75C, then come back down around 65C (I'm not an expert but I guess that P95 changes the test. right ?)
2 questions arises. Should I try to lower this voltage ? I want to keep this CPU long term so i want a safe OC. Or is this 1.3V totally fine and I do not need to try anything ?

And by the way, coming to this 8700k from a 3770k, I defined that 4.8GHz wouls be totally sufficient for my needs, no need to push it further.

Specs:
MB : Asus ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
GPU : MSI GeForce GTX 1070
CPU : i7-8700k
CPU cooler : Be Quiet Silent loop 360
PSU : Straight Power 750W

Bests,
Antoine

Solution
Just keep lowering the voltage incrementally. Eventually you’ll reach a low enough voltage that causes a crash and you can go back to the slightly higher stable voltage. Your temps are good and 1.3v is fine but no reason not to try for even better temps and lower voltage.

huntlong

Respectable
Aug 17, 2017
Just keep lowering the voltage incrementally. Eventually you’ll reach a low enough voltage that causes a crash and you can go back to the slightly higher stable voltage. Your temps are good and 1.3v is fine but no reason not to try for even better temps and lower voltage.

Solution