OC Is slower then stock

SheerColony

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
I realized that my game was running a solid 110 FPS but it would drop to 50-55 for a second and F*** me over in Overwatch with the shutter. So I decided to Overclock, when I overclocked I was getting about 80FPS average and it would drop to 50FPS more often. So I reverted back to stock settings and now it's back to normal. Help please

Specs-
Processor: Intel i7 6700k
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: GIGABYTE LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 GA-Z170X-Gaming 3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Xtreme Gaming

Solution
Your overall system seems fairly strong, with the GTX1060 being the weakest link. The fps drops make me wonder how good your case cooling is though. With inadequate cooling, the gpu might be thermal throttling, resulting in temporary drop in fps and performance. Even if the overclocked cpu has acceptable temperatures, this may increase the overall heat produced inside your case. If the inside of your case gets warmer, the gpu will also end up running hotter. This will result in thermal throttling much more often then before your overclocked your cpu.

It might be worthwhile to monitor your temperatures (escpecially your gpu) during game play.

LowlySkeleton

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Your overall system seems fairly strong, with the GTX1060 being the weakest link. The fps drops make me wonder how good your case cooling is though. With inadequate cooling, the gpu might be thermal throttling, resulting in temporary drop in fps and performance. Even if the overclocked cpu has acceptable temperatures, this may increase the overall heat produced inside your case. If the inside of your case gets warmer, the gpu will also end up running hotter. This will result in thermal throttling much more often then before your overclocked your cpu.

It might be worthwhile to monitor your temperatures (escpecially your gpu) during game play.

Solution