[SOLVED] Oc my ram to 2933 or 3200

Feb 23, 2021
So i purchased 3200 mhz ram but im running it at 2933 mhz. My timings are 17-19-19-39 with a vram voltage of 1.350. I keep crashing and am really struggling to find the right settings.

my pc- i9 9900k 4.7
gtx 1070
16gbs 3200mhz (trying to oc to 2933) g skill ripjaws
500 watt PSU
Z390 a pro motherboard

I'm very new to overclocking my ram so sorry if I seem slow.

Solution
Both sticks pass Memtest separately? At the XMP configuration or at the baseline default settings? I usually recommend running at the default configuration FIRST, to see if there is simply something physically wrong with the memory, and then running another four passes at the XMP profile settings to see if the problem is due to configuration, since physical problems will usually show up without having XMP enabled.

How about together, with both sticks, at the default baseline configuration without any XMP settings applied?

You might find some kind of helpful tidbit in here somewhere as well.

You don't need to "overclock" anything. Just go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile. Also, make 100% certain that you have the memory installed in the second and fourth slots over, to the right of the CPU socket, with the fourth one being closest to the edge of the motherboard and the second one being two slots over from that one.

If that doesn't work, then it's probably because you've chosen a memory kit that is not verified by G.Skill as being compatible with that motherboard. Knowing the exact memory kit model would be helpful in determining that by using the G.Skill memory configurator.

Feb 23, 2021
You don't need to "overclock" anything. Just go into the BIOS and enable the XMP profile. Also, make 100% certain that you have the memory installed in the second and fourth slots over, to the right of the CPU socket, with the fourth one being closest to the edge of the motherboard and the second one being two slots over from that one.

If that doesn't work, then it's probably because you've chosen a memory kit that is not verified by G.Skill as being compatible with that motherboard. Knowing the exact memory kit model would be helpful in determining that by using the G.Skill memory configurator.
every time i turn on xmp the screen that says your overclock has failed pops up...

Which DIMM slots do you have the memory in? I asked that once already but you never responded to that question. EXACTLY which slots?

My guess off the top of my head is, if you have them in the correct slots then there are pretty much three possible reasons, maybe four, why this is happening.

One, the memory kit is not compatible with that motherboard, which you can determine by providing us with the FULL model of your memory kit. Which I also asked for previously.
Two, if the memory IS compatible, and you DO have them in the second and fourth slots, then it's possible you have one or more bent pins on the motherboard on the CPU socket.
Three, it's also possible that your CPU cooler is tighter or looser in one area than in the the rest. One corner or side too tight or too loose can cause the CPU to lose contact with some pins, acting like it would if there were bent pins.
Four, a faulty motherboard.

Of course, it's also possible you simply have a bad set of sticks as well, but there is much to be determined before assuming that.

Feb 23, 2021
They are seated in the second and fourth dimm slot of the motherboard. The model number is F4-3200C16D-16GVKB. I just rev moved the cpu cooler off my cpu there seems to be no signs of damage on the cpu or the area in which it sits. I have re-tightened the cooler.

So, the good news is, that memory kit IS validated for that motherboard.

The bad news is, that doesn't help you much in determining why they aren't working at the XMP profile configuration.

Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, or an older one?

Feb 23, 2021
So, the good news is, that memory kit IS validated for that motherboard.

The bad news is, that doesn't help you much in determining why they aren't working at the XMP profile configuration.

Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, or an older one?
. I just downloaded the most decent drivers that were released about 4 days ago

Feb 23, 2021
I didn't mention anything about drivers, I said BIOS version. BIOS updates consist of revised firmware, not drivers. You need to figure out what BIOS version you are running and then we can check the motherboard product page to see if there is a newer BIOS version available.
My bad i meant that i just updated my bios

That's not the model. That's the voltage range it can operate in. I'm guessing you probably have the S12III, which despite being a Seasonic power supply is not a very good unit overall. Especially compared to OTHER Seasonic power supplies from series that are high quality. It's definitely not the worst power supply you could have, but it's not "Seasonic" quality either as it's outsourced to a 3rd party manufacturer that is a bit further down the OEM food chain.

I would contact G.Skill support. I'm betting you have a faulty memory kit and one of the sticks doesn't want to play nice with the other one.

Try this. Power off. Remove the DIMM in the 4th slot, leaving only the DIMM in the 2nd slot over from the CPU. Do a CMOS reset as follows and then with only the one DIMM installed see if you are able to run the one stick of memory at the XMP profile speed.

If it does not work, shut back down and swap the sticks out and try again with the other stick of memory.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Feb 23, 2021
Ok so i reached out to g skill and currently waiting on a response, but i did take my ram out of the 4th dimm slot and reset my cmos and i enabled xmp after that. Then my pc did boot into windows while running xmp

So, XMP works with a single DIMM installed. That's great. That means it's not strictly the configuration of the memory module itself, which we knew, because that memory IS validated for that board as we know already.

Now, try shutting down, and swap that stick out for the other stick, and see if it still will POST normally and boot into Windows without any problems with the other stick installed in the same slot.

Also, did these sticks come together in one kit, or were they individual sticks purchased separately, whether the same part number or not?

Feb 23, 2021
Individually while in the 2nd slot they both boot into windows. Just started memtest86 with one stick then im gonna move to the other one once it finishes

Last edited:
Both sticks pass Memtest separately? At the XMP configuration or at the baseline default settings? I usually recommend running at the default configuration FIRST, to see if there is simply something physically wrong with the memory, and then running another four passes at the XMP profile settings to see if the problem is due to configuration, since physical problems will usually show up without having XMP enabled.

How about together, with both sticks, at the default baseline configuration without any XMP settings applied?

You might find some kind of helpful tidbit in here somewhere as well.

Solution

Andrewbandrew05

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
To me it sounds like, if both sticks check out in memtest, that there is something wrong with your mobo's 4th DIMM slot. Go ahead and try using the ram you bought and see what happens, but you may need to look into RMAing your mobo. Do you or a friend have a computer that you could test your particular set of memory on in order to make absolutely sure that the problem does reside with your motherboard?

Edit: Also, it just occurred to me. If your PSU is bad, could the second stick be drawing enough extra power that it overloads your PSU?