only4speed

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
1) i know OC will reduce the life span of cpu and other components. anybody know how significant is that?
lets say a e4300 OC to 3Ghz(with proper cooling) and running on 24x7, will it last 5+ years? if not, how about at 2.8Ghz?

2) TEC is not widely used in pc cooling because of condensing. is it possible using some type of thin film to "wrap" the MB like one in vacuum and wrap the food?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
1) With proper cooling, as long as the voltage isnt off the chart, an E4300 oc'ed to 3ghz could easilly run for 5 years.

2) That would bend to mobo, you would have a hard time mounting the thing, and condensation would still form on the other side of the film, there couldnt be any bubbles. The most common things to use to prevent condensation damage are thick peices of armaflex and dielectric grease. If you've ever seen a phase change system, or a copper pot that's filled with LN2 or dry ice, the black foam looking stuff is the armaflex. This is a nice insulation guide.

TECs are also not more widely used because they consume a ton of power, are a hastle to properly cool, and they cost alot (TEC + PSU + Cooler for TEC).

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
1) With proper cooling, as long as the voltage isnt off the chart, an E4300 oc'ed to 3ghz could easilly run for 5 years.

2) That would bend to mobo, you would have a hard time mounting the thing, and condensation would still form on the other side of the film, there couldnt be any bubbles. The most common things to use to prevent condensation damage are thick peices of armaflex and dielectric grease. If you've ever seen a phase change system, or a copper pot that's filled with LN2 or dry ice, the black foam looking stuff is the armaflex. This is a nice insulation guide.

TECs are also not more widely used because they consume a ton of power, are a hastle to properly cool, and they cost alot (TEC + PSU + Cooler for TEC).
I'm sure i'd read a year or so ago, that they had a coating....almost like a rubbery substance that they can cover the whole mobo with...to keep condensation from getting in. I would think that it would prevent the mobo from "breathing" if you will....causing the caps, resistors, MOSFETS.....basically all components from getting air circulation, causing those to overheat. :? I still think total submersion in cooking oil...and there was another liquid(made by 3M IIRC),suitable for that as well....is a very cool(pardon the pun) idea. :D

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Oh, ok. The contex just confused me, when you said "HS" I was thinking somekind of liquid coat or other insulation, not a heat sink.