Question OC or downclock to fit a RAM that crashes otherwise?

Aug 28, 2019
Hi. I bought 1600MHz RAM that should fit my Toshiba Satellite L555-130 (according to Amazon RAM compatibility tool). Laptop crashes with that RAM, not with the old 1066MHz. Can't return RAM, it's far too late.

Can I downclock the new 1600MHz RAM to make it work? Or overclock the CPU? Any easy to use software for that on Linux or Windows? (Laptop has both, Windows is quite slow though.)

I know strictly nothing about OC so please don't tell me off for asking silly questions!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What RAM did you buy exactly?
Presumably you aren't mixing it with the old RAM and you are replacing the 1066 entirely?

I doubt it's the speed that's the issue, if the RAM is compatible, then it's more likely the RAM is faulty. The RAM would usually automatically downclock itself if it can't run at the rated speed, or won't boot at all. But your laptop can indeed take 1600 RAM.

Run memtest to check the new RAM modules, if you see even 1 error, return the RAM.

Well if it's name brand RAM then it probably has a warranty. The POST is not a memory test--it only checks to see how many fingers and toes there are, so to speak

Your laptop does not allow setting RAM speeds or timings or voltages in the BIOS so the only hardware way to do this is to use 1 stick of 1066 and 1 stick of 1600. While mixing sticks is generally not recommended, it usually works when you are just trying to force the RAM to run slower. As it's Intel, different capacity sticks will run in flex channel mode.

Doing it in software after Windows boots is not recommended even if you could find something that works. That's because it will slowly corrupt your Windows files before it applies. I mean you know it's unstable.

The other way to do this is with a SPD programmer, which will permanently alter the settings in the SPD table on the RAM sticks themselves. You could loosen the timings at 1600, or even delete the entire 1600 column to run at 1333. What you probably can't do is specify a different voltage because the laptop will probably not recognize any non-JEDEC values.

Aug 28, 2019
Wow that's a speedy response, thanks a lot!

What RAM did you buy exactly?
Presumably you aren't mixing it with the old RAM and you are replacing the 1066 entirely?

New RAM:
2 x Samsung 4GB DDR3 Memory SO-DIMM 204pin PC3L-12800S 1600MHz M471B5273CH0-YK0
(Doesn't work: laptop shuts down some time - about 1 minute - after booting, before loading Linux/Windows.)

Old RAM:
2 x Hynix 2GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066MHz Non-ECC Unbuffered CL7 204pin HMT125S6BFR8C-G7
(Works.)

I entirely replaced the RAM, haven't tried mixing both RAMs yet (as the other response suggests I should do).

Run memtest to check the new RAM modules, if you see even 1 error, return the RAM.

I already did! (There's a memtest tool upon bootup.) Same thing there, somewhere during the test the computer shuts down.

I can't return the RAM because I bought it months ago and procrastinated on actually putting it in the laptop!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I already did! (There's a memtest tool upon bootup.) Same thing there, somewhere during the test the computer shuts down.

I can't return the RAM because I bought it months ago and procrastinated on actually putting it in the laptop!
It shuts down during memtest? That's telling me there is a problem.

If there is a problem, you can absolutely return it, Samsung RAM has a lifetime warranty. Just RMA it through Samsung :)

I agree. You may not be able to return it to the seller, but you can sure as heck RMA it with the manufacturer under warranty. I get faulty sticks of RAM all the time. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

There's also a very real possibility that the RAM you bought is locked out by the vendor. I'm only finding Toshiba sticks when I search ram compatibility lists for your model.

Your laptop will run the RAM at whatever speed it feels comfortable with. I guarantee if you download CPUz here and look at the memory tab, it will report the 1600MHz RAM is actually running 533MHz (1066MHz effective).

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019

Thanks and sorry for replying so late.

I haven't mixed new and old RAMs yet but might do so as the other forum post suggests.

I might also return the new RAMs, and posted a request on Amazon.

Aug 28, 2019
Your laptop does not allow setting RAM speeds or timings or voltages in the BIOS so the only hardware way to do this is to use 1 stick of 1066 and 1 stick of 1600. While mixing sticks is generally not recommended, it usually works when you are just trying to force the RAM to run slower. As it's Intel, different capacity sticks will run in flex channel mode.

The other way to do this is with a SPD programmer, ...

Sorry for replying late.

Thanks for telling what should and shouldn't work. I will try mixing RAMs as you suggested. (As to the SPD programmer, that's too technical for me.)