[SOLVED] OC Question on 1st Gen Ryzen

Hi all,

I'm helping my friend overclock her PC, which uses a Ryzen 5 1600, 2x8GB of 3200Mhz RAM, and a GTX 1060 6GB. It's been running at stock speeds the whole time (even the RAM was running at 2133MHz) and she asked me to overclock it for her.

I can't seem to get a stable overclock between the CPU and the RAM.
If I set the CPU to 3.5GHz or anything above that, I cannot set the RAM higher than 2666MHz without getting BSOD's and freezes.
On the other hand, if I keep the CPU at 3.4GHz or lower, I can get a stable OC with 3200MHz on the RAM.

I know for gaming I would rather have a higher CPU clock with simply 2666MHz for the RAM (I managed to get it at 3.7GHz & 2666Mhz without crashes or BSOD's). However, since this rig is for Photo/Video Editing (and a 1st Gen Ryzen CPU), I'm not too sure.

My question: As this is an editing rig, would you rather have a higher clocked CPU @ 3.7Ghz & 2666MHz for RAM? or higher clocked RAM @ CPU 3.4GHz & 3200MHz RAM?

Note: Whilst working, she is regularly sitting at over 10GB of RAM as she likes having several things open on her double monitors.

Edit: Board is B350-F Strix

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzens favor high frequency ram, especially the 1st gen lineup. If the pc truly cannot oc whatsoever the best option would be setting the cpu at stock clocks and get higher frequency on DIMMs.

Im assuming there isnt an option in the bios to set an A-XMP profile?
Did you mess with timings or did you just set raw frequencies on the ram?
Have you updated the bios? It might just be that your current version doesnt support 3200.
Ryzens favor high frequency ram, especially the 1st gen lineup. If the pc truly cannot oc whatsoever the best option would be setting the cpu at stock clocks and get higher frequency on DIMMs.

Im assuming there isnt an option in the bios to set an A-XMP profile?
Did you mess with timings or did you just set raw frequencies on the ram?
Have you updated the bios? It might just be that your current version doesnt support 3200.

Reactions: julienruc
Solution
I've updated the BIOS to one of the lastest versions (excluding some of the latest AGESA updates since I have no need for them).

There wasn't an option for XMP, but I enable DOCP, which automatically set the RAM to 3200MHz and set the timings according to the RAM's advertised timings. Voltage is also at 1.35v.

I guess I will leave it at 3.4GHz with 3200MHz then.

I've updated the BIOS to one of the lastest versions (excluding some of the latest AGESA updates since I have no need for them).

There wasn't an option for XMP, but I enable DOCP, which automatically set the RAM to 3200MHz and set the timings according to the RAM's advertised timings. Voltage is also at 1.35v.

I guess I will leave it at 3.4GHz with 3200MHz then.
DOCP is Asus's name for XMP.

Reactions: julienruc