[SOLVED] OC Reduced performance (FX-6300) ?

Dec 18, 2020
I overclocked my century old FX-6300 from stock (3.5GHz) to 3.7GHz and then got thermally limited. But after comparing Cinebench R23 MultiCore scores, the stock config gets 200 more points than the OC config. (2000 vs 2210). I just wanna get acceptable frames in Apex and so I decided to overclock. Should I revert my OC? Get a better cooler and OC more? I'm not looking to invest in another RAM stick as this is a very old system unless it gives me a boost of a good 20 FPS on average(I'm running a single stick of 1866MHz 8GB ram. I know. It's bad.). GPU: GTX 960 2GB @3900MHz Mem and 1230 CoreBase and 1500 CoreBoost.

Solution
Rgd1101 is 1 Of the Best here on TH and
Just about All other responder's you are going to get Will be telling you to Not spend any more money on a Dead Platform.

As you found out, you need a good cooler for overclocking no matter the platform.
When you set it to 3.7ghz it was under the turbo/boost clock of 3.8ghz so stands to reason for a performance loss over stock because of the lack of cooling that you couldn't take it any higher.
Yes, you should revert back to stock or only get a cooler that can be carried over onto a Upgrade for money better spent.

Just for some pure numbers and food for thought from your fx6300 to my wife's Ryzen 2600x watercooled on a X470 mobo with 16gb of g.skill flare x 3200cl14 with a Gtx 960 4gb
Running...
Just about All other responder's you are going to get Will be telling you to Not spend any more money on a Dead Platform.

As you found out, you need a good cooler for overclocking no matter the platform.
When you set it to 3.7ghz it was under the turbo/boost clock of 3.8ghz so stands to reason for a performance loss over stock because of the lack of cooling that you couldn't take it any higher.
Yes, you should revert back to stock or only get a cooler that can be carried over onto a Upgrade for money better spent.

Just for some pure numbers and food for thought from your fx6300 to my wife's Ryzen 2600x watercooled on a X470 mobo with 16gb of g.skill flare x 3200cl14 with a Gtx 960 4gb
Running Cbr23
7686 multi core and 1047 single core
running Xfr2= Extended frequency Range.

Running Unigene Heaven 4.0 benchmark on hers Gpu 1493mhz 3742 mem
Medium settings + 4x anti-alis
fps 63.6
score 1601
min fps 13.3
max fps 122.5

High settings + 4x anti-alis
fps 56.9
score 1434
min fps 31.1
Max fps 112.9

Ultra = 4x anti-alis
fps 52.6
score 1325
min fps 29.8
max fps 102.8

She don't need much In Gpu.
She is not a gamer but will get my Gtx 1070 ti when I get a new Gpu which looks like sometime next year????
Rtx 3060 ti

Good luck and Happy Holidays to All !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I overclocked my century old FX-6300 from stock (3.5GHz) to 3.7GHz and then got thermally limited. But after comparing Cinebench R23 MultiCore scores, the stock config gets 200 more points than the OC config. (2000 vs 2210). I just wanna get acceptable frames in Apex and so I decided to overclock. Should I revert my OC? Get a better cooler and OC more? I'm not looking to invest in another RAM stick as this is a very old system unless it gives me a boost of a good 20 FPS on average(I'm running a single stick of 1866MHz 8GB ram. I know. It's bad.). GPU: GTX 960 2GB @3900MHz Mem and 1230 CoreBase and 1500 CoreBoost.

There's really not much that will give you 20 FPS more. If you were already running at 60 FPS, 20 FPS would be a 33% boost, which just isn't a thing for an overclock. It's certainly not worth buying better cooler for this, and we still don't know if you even have a suitable motherboard for this. Cheap AM3+ motherboards aren't good overclockers.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Dec 18, 2020
There's really not much that will give you 20 FPS more. If you were already running at 60 FPS, 20 FPS would be a 33% boost, which just isn't a thing for an overclock. It's certainly not worth buying better cooler for this, and we still don't know if you even have a suitable motherboard for this. Cheap AM3+ motherboards aren't good overclockers.
I usually get about around 25-30 frames on average when looking at the action and 110 frames when I look at the sky. My question here is that this platform is notorious for its overclocking potential up to 4.5GHz. Will that help my frames? Is the CPU the bottleneck here? What should I look to upgrade?

Dec 18, 2020

Running Cbr23
7686 multi core and 1047 single core
running Xfr2= Extended frequency Range.

Running Unigene Heaven 4.0 benchmark on hers Gpu 1493mhz 3742 mem
Medium settings + 4x anti-alis
fps 63.6
score 1601
min fps 13.3
max fps 122.5

High settings + 4x anti-alis
fps 56.9
score 1434
min fps 31.1
Max fps 112.9

Ultra = 4x anti-alis
fps 52.6
score 1325
min fps 29.8
max fps 102.8

She don't need much In Gpu.
She is not a gamer but will get my Gtx 1070 ti when I get a new Gpu which looks like sometime next year????
Rtx 3060 ti

Good luck and Happy Holidays to All !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So what would you suggest as an upgrade? I can get a cheap and sturdy cooler here at about 20 USD to OC to at least 4.2GHz but will that really give me more FPS? I'm also looking forward to playing Cyberpunk which runs 25-35 FPS on other systems with the same spec but I get like 9 FPS. All I want to figure out is what is the bottleneck here that is affecting me and not others.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I usually get about around 25-30 frames on average when looking at the action and 110 frames when I look at the sky. My question here is that this platform is notorious for its overclocking potential up to 4.5GHz. Will that help my frames? Is the CPU the bottleneck here? What should I look to upgrade?

You'll get a handful of frames, but this was an underperforming gaming CPU when it came out. In 2012. The basic problem is the CPU. And for Cyberpunk, the problem is even worse; you're below the minimum specs for playing at 1080p for both the CPU and the GPU. The CPU is simply overmatched in modern gaming and if you want more FPS, you would need to a much more significant upgrade. Slapping on a budget cooler to overclock slightly better will give you enough frames to count with one hand, with fingers left over.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
What motherboard??

Dropping performance when overclocking means that 6300 is throttling at some point.

It may also be throttling at stock speeds in that case.

The difference between those framerates between looking at action and looking at the sky also points more to gpu limitations than cpu.

The 6300 even at stock can do way more than 30fps in apex

That CPU is very overclockable, but you have to do it right. What you can achieve also depends a lot on the motherboard.

When you overclocked the CPU will try to maintain it's TDP rating and will 'downclock' itself periodically in heavy loads to do that. To prevent that you have to disable APM, usually in BIOS. It may be called something strange in the BIOS for your motherboard...on my son's Gigabyte board it's called something like 'performance mode'. My Asus motherboard didn't have the setting and I needed to run a utility at windows start-up to do that.

If the motherboard you're attempting this on is low-end (and low end in AM3/+ motherboard can be VERY low-end) the VRM will overheat making it throttle back the CPU to keep from burning up.

TRENDING THREADS