[SOLVED] OC resulted in being unable to boot PC

Dec 14, 2021
Hello. I recently attempted to increase my overclock from 4.0 GHz to 4.1 GHz on my Ryzen 2600x at 1.4v after installing a new cooling system. After the restart and during the stress test the PC turns off and now does not turn back on again.

There is no evidence that the PSU is working bar two clicks at start and then nothing.

I have attempted to:

-Clear CMOS for 10 minutes.
-Hold power button whilst PSU unplugged
-Unplug GPU
-Unplug one stick of RAM
-Leave the computer unplugged for 2 hours

Not sure what left there is to do, other than call it a day and presume something is dead.

Here is my parts list:

-Corsair TX550M
-Ryzen 2600x
-Vengence LPX (2x8gb) 3000MHz, 1.35V
-MSI RX580
-MSI B450M m.2

Thanks in advance.

Solution
start checking things off the list, power up the motherboard, if that goes well then add the cpu and repeat, if it checks out, add the ram and repeat, so on and so forth. the last thing you want to do is call one part dead only to find out it was something much cheaper that gave out instead :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you remember what the motherboard's Load Line Calibration level was set to?
My guess is, IF you had it high, that 1.4v could've overshot into 1.5x territory and roasted the cpu - not that I know what the max safe Vcore is for that cpu.

Dec 14, 2021
Do you remember what the motherboard's Load Line Calibration level was set to?
My guess is, IF you had it high, that 1.4v could've overshot into 1.5x territory and roasted the cpu - not that I know what the max safe Vcore is for that cpu.
Went with LLC level 2 which I read is less aggressive than level 1 for MSI motherboards.

AMD recommends a max of 1.38GHz whilst other users have said they have managed 1.45GHz. I think you may be right in the CPU being fried. Very frustrating. Just installed a new cooling system.

I’ve also read that some have managed to boot after leaving it for many hours. Would this be possible?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So Msi goes in the opposite direction from Asus, in that counting down to 1, the voltage peaks are more aggressive.
I'm sure 1.45v is doable on some chips, as long as LLC isn't set too high.

I’ve also read that some have managed to boot after leaving it for many hours. Would this be possible?
That's up to luck. I think you have nothing to lose at that point. You've already cleared CMOS, so it shouldn't be trying to boot with those settings anymore.

Dec 14, 2021
So Msi goes in the opposite direction from Asus, in that counting down to 1, the voltage peaks are more aggressive.
I'm sure 1.45v is doable on some chips, as long as LLC isn't set too high.

That's up to luck. I think you have nothing to lose at that point. You've already cleared CMOS, so it shouldn't be trying to boot with those settings anymore.

If that doesn’t work I’ll take it to a repair shop to have it diagnosed. Thanks.

Dec 14, 2021
start checking things off the list, power up the motherboard, if that goes well then add the cpu and repeat, if it checks out, add the ram and repeat, so on and so forth. the last thing you want to do is call one part dead only to find out it was something much cheaper that gave out instead :)

Solution