[SOLVED] OC Ryzen 7 2700 with stock cooler

Nov 3, 2018
I have heard it´s possible to overclock Ryzen 7 1700 to 3.7 ghz only using the stock cooler. Therefore I'm interested to hear what is possible with the stock cooler you get with Ryzen 7 2700.
Does anyone have any experience with overclocking Ryzen 7 2700 with the stock cooler? Is it possible and what have you been able to reach using the stock cooler?

Solution

The answer really is...it depends. If you load your overclocked CPU heavily on all cores it can certainly make a major difference in how much you can overclock it. But if all you're doing is browsing web sites and reading email you can still overclock pretty far. Even gaming may not tax enough cores heavily enough to seriously limit it's overclockability.

But then, you might ask what's the point of overclocking in such a scenario which is pretty much a question being asked of most all Ryzen 2000...

The answer really is...it depends. If you load your overclocked CPU heavily on all cores it can certainly make a major difference in how much you can overclock it. But if all you're doing is browsing web sites and reading email you can still overclock pretty far. Even gaming may not tax enough cores heavily enough to seriously limit it's overclockability.

But then, you might ask what's the point of overclocking in such a scenario which is pretty much a question being asked of most all Ryzen 2000 processors: they're extremely well optimized. Even with very good (mainstream) cooling the overclocking pay-off is rarely very much and usually doesn't result in noticeable improvements.

Reason being: Precision Boost 2 usually gets core speeds as decent as you can on an all-core overclock and that's on stock cooling. Games rarely use more cores/threads than Precision Boost will so why complicate things with an all-core overclock?

But if you really need the all-core overclock there is nothing that beats more robust cooling...it will usually be quieter too!

Solution
Dec 29, 2018
I overclocked my ryzen 7 2700 to test it with the wraith cooler, then testing it with a Corsair liquid cooler... in two separate cases one that’s only 60ish dollars with lots of fans, and one that is about 100 dollars with tempered glass... currently running stress test on aida 64 with wraith cooler in slightly cheaper case and it’s at 12 minutes holding steady at 56 degrees C running on all cores... this is with wraith cooler.. it is only OC to 3.85 currently but I’ll bump it up to 4.1 when this test is over and check it with the wraith cooler again.. then tomorrow I’ll do the same with liquid and post the difference.
So I ran the test several times with Aida 64 while running ryzen master at the same time.. there is an average of 10 degree difference.. ryzen master being 10 degrees higher. So the ryzen 7 2700 with wraith cooler oc to 3.85 runs at full usage about 72 C in this cheaper case with 4 exhaust fans and a giant side panel fan.
UPDATE: Ran the OC @ 4ghz with H80i v2 Corsair liquid cooler - perfectly stable and during stress tests, and multiple cinebench tests it was around 30C where it would have been between 60-70C with the wraith cooler.
So I was able to run 3.85 Ghz with wraith cooler, be it at higher temps but what seemed stable. Anything over that I would not recommend as I ran into crashes when I attempted 4Ghz on stock cooler.