Question OC stability issues on R5 2400g

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
So I tried Oc'ing my 2400g. At 3.9, i tried Cinebench. Cinebench would start but eventually fail. What's a bit weird is that it wouldn't fail at roughly the exact spot at benchmark. It would sometimes fail early (when the ambient temp is a bit warm) or later (when the ambient temp is less warm). The thing is during the benchmark, the temps won't even reach 90C and it would fail. I use CPU HWINFO and Ryzen Master. Voltage is left at auto

As you probably know, Ryzen 5 2400g has a thermal threshold of around 95C.
You have OCed to 3.9GHz equal to boost , Did you use Ryzen Master to OC?
You may require up to 1.475V MAX (for safe operation) on the Core to keep it stable however I would commence at 1.375V initially. If the system refuses to boot then increase core voltage in .02V steps till it boots.
It further complicates things as the GPU is incorporated into the CPU.

Any OC should be done within Bios (Third party OCers can corrupt your Bios)

Core voltage left on Auto can and very often provides overvoltage conditions to the CPU and results in overheating.
The wraith cooler provided with your CPU will cope at stock and a slight Overclock however you need to keep core voltage to a minimum whilst remaining stable. Also using offsets,SOC voltage, LLC to help maintain stability.

You should read up on some Overclocking guides if you lack in experience.
Here is a good article from guru3d: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review,34.html

vmarc41

Prominent
Mar 8, 2018
As you probably know, Ryzen 5 2400g has a thermal threshold of around 95C.
You have OCed to 3.9GHz equal to boost , Did you use Ryzen Master to OC?
You may require up to 1.475V MAX (for safe operation) on the Core to keep it stable however I would commence at 1.375V initially. If the system refuses to boot then increase core voltage in .02V steps till it boots.
It further complicates things as the GPU is incorporated into the CPU.

Any OC should be done within Bios (Third party OCers can corrupt your Bios)

Core voltage left on Auto can and very often provides overvoltage conditions to the CPU and results in overheating.
The wraith cooler provided with your CPU will cope at stock and a slight Overclock however you need to keep core voltage to a minimum whilst remaining stable. Also using offsets,SOC voltage, LLC to help maintain stability.

You should read up on some Overclocking guides if you lack in experience.
Here is a good article from guru3d: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review,34.html

Overclocking both the CPU and GPU in an APU makes it complicated solely because of the Thermals? I tried OC'ing in bios and Ryzen Master. My GPU can OC a bit, but by only 100mhz more. I think i just lost the silicon lottery.