[SOLVED] OC stable inside windows but not getting into it.

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
Specs:
I5-7600k
Asus strix z270g
16gb hyperX @2400mhz
Windows 10pro

So basically with the XTU tool I've managed to hit 5.1Ghz on 2 cores and 5.2 on the other 2 with the cahe at 4.4 with only a small voltage bump, I've areas tested this for multiple hours and it's stable. But of course since it's with XTU it gets reset everytime i reboot and when i try to put the exact same settings into the bios it doesn't even make it to the desktop. Why is that and how do i fix it?

Solution
Possible a setting is getting changed in the UEFI relating to boot sequence when OC settings were adjusted there? Should be Windows Boot Manager as primary in the UEFI onces W10 is installed. It does seem odd that you could pass any of these stresstests for even a short run, yet the OS fails to load.
The boot order didnt get affected however I tried omitting the voltage increase and leaving that all to the default. (Auto) So i only changed the short and long power limits, (both 4095w)
the short power time limit (16 sec) and the core ratios of course. This booted and is stable at its 5.1Ghz

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
that is because overclocking shouldn't ever be done using software on the desktop.
the only CPU that can do that effectively is Ryzen using the Ryzen Master software made by AMD themselves for their own CPU.

You also can't just magically get beyond 5GHz on a 7th gen i5 without good cooling and some increases in voltage.
And due to the nature of the silicon lottery, it's possible you may not be able to get to 5GHz even.

Do your overclocking the proper way through the BIOS and run stress tests to make sure it's stable.

Here's a good guide to get you started.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1621347-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-statistics.html

Be sure to click on the blue hyper text to expand each section of the guide.

You can also refer to this Sky Lake overclocking guide as well since overclocking on Kaby Lake isn't much different.

https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/74...e-intel-skylake-overclocking-guide/index.html

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
I overclocked using Intel's Xtreme tuning utility and used task manager and cpu-z to verify that it was actually working. I have a h100i pro so i think im covered for cooling and as i said it is stable while running stress tests at that speed

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
What have you verified stability with for the overclock? What settings in BIOS are adjusted?
Ran the stress test inbuilt with XTU for half a hour then gamed on it for 3 hours in Assassin's creed which always pins my CPU at 100% usage.
As for settings I changed the core ratios, offset voltage, turbo max power limit and duration and cahe ratio.

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
It's adaptive that was the default so i just left it, I'll run realbench now
It got through 20 minutes of consecutive runs on realbench with no issues on these settings:
2d845xg.jpg

Default is what is currently set on the motherboard, proposed is what i want and is stable

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You need to run the stress test for several hours with the full 16Gb of ram. Running a short test like bench with just 8Gb of ram isn't stressing the mc much so things like VCCIO won't affect the cpu in the same ways.

Running AC even with the cpu @100% isn't stressing the pc, just the cpu. You are still shortchanging the ram usage, pcie buss etc. So it's going to give a false sense of security about stability.

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
You need to run the stress test for several hours with the full 16Gb of ram. Running a short test like bench with just 8Gb of ram isn't stressing the mc much so things like VCCIO won't affect the cpu in the same ways.

Running AC even with the cpu @100% isn't stressing the pc, just the cpu. You are still shortchanging the ram usage, pcie buss etc. So it's going to give a false sense of security about stability.
It wont let me run it with 16gb allocated it says "not enough available ram" then crashes when i try to run it. (the program not the computer) I've run the Benchmark option on loop for hours and that loads the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage so theresthat too as for stability. Anyway why is it that it can even run at or close to full usage for literally 5 hours but cant boot into windows?

Possible a setting is getting changed in the UEFI relating to boot sequence when OC settings were adjusted there? Should be Windows Boot Manager as primary in the UEFI onces W10 is installed. It does seem odd that you could pass any of these stresstests for even a short run, yet the OS fails to load.

Cole.perera

Prominent
Jul 18, 2018
The boot order didnt get affected however I tried omitting the voltage increase and leaving that all to the default. (Auto) So i only changed the short and long power limits, (both 4095w)
the short power time limit (16 sec) and the core ratios of course. This booted and is stable at its 5.1Ghz

Solution

TRENDING THREADS