[SOLVED] OC through MSI afterburner with OC scanner

reasinglow

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
Hey guys, I have an issue. I used the OC scanner function in MSI afterburner, but now it seems that my GPU is stuck on that core speed of 1950 mhz core speed.
Even when I press reset button, it resets it back to 1950 if I downgrade the core speed.
jTtNxjv.png

I wish to undo this OC on the RTX 2080 super, and these core speeds are definetly not the stocks one.
I tried everything, Uninstall MSI afterburner, completely remove it from the pc by removing it from t he softwares and removing the whole folder.
I did a DDU and removed the drivers of the RTX 2080super and reinstalled them but to no avail.

When I run the game, it pops these core speeds when under load.

Is there a way to get this OC scanner setting ridden of??

PS: I want to undo the OC because the temperatures are a bit too high when I used to have only max 70 degrees.

Solution
its not the base. Turing cards use Boost 4.0. there is not one clock speed. The card will automatically boost based on set boost clock, temps, power limit, application. You will notice different boost speeds in different games/engines. if the ambient temp is 30 degree Celsius its not wonder why you see higher temps. But your cards has no overclock. You will only have an overclock if you set an overclock in afterburner (either manual or by using the OC tool), then apply it, and if you want to keep it, save it and assign it to one of the 5 slots. Then you have to set this profile as default for 3d applications.

The 80C is high, but ok for the high ambient temps. I wouldn't worry until it will be +85C all the time. If the temps bother...

mjbn1977

Distinguished
first of all, 80C is not way to high on those cards. Also, the OC will only stay if you save it to one of the profiles and select that profile or set in as the default profile for 3d applications. In all other cases the card should default back into factory settings.

When I overclock my cards, I usually save the stock settings under profile 1. and then use 2 though 5 for all different kind of over-clocks I experiment with.

Could it be that you won the silicone lottery and your chip boost automatically to 1950? Could be a possibility.

Also, can you please post a screenshot of GPU-Z? Because that would tell us if an overclock is actually applied or not.....

reasinglow

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
first of all, 80C is not way to high on those cards. Also, the OC will only stay if you save it to one of the profiles and select that profile or set in as the default profile for 3d applications. In all other cases the card should default back into factory settings.

When I overclock my cards, I usually save the stock settings under profile 1. and then use 2 though 5 for all different kind of over-clocks I experiment with.

Could it be that you won the silicone lottery and your chip boost automatically to 1950? Could be a possibility.

Also, can you please post a screenshot of GPU-Z? Because that would tell us if an overclock is actually applied or not.....

Sure thing, here is the screenshot of the GPU-Z including the sensors tab.
The thing is, I didt'n save the stock settings, I instantly clicked on the OC scanner thing and it didt'n save it on to any profile, it just told me at the end that the curve has been implemented in MSI afterburner and that's it, from then, I saw the clock speed at 1950-2000 ish,

YKBy0ax.png

grxEukO.png

mjbn1977

Distinguished
its not overclocked. stock settings are applied. See how it shows the same 1845 boost (that's your stock boost) at both the GPU clock and the default clock. So your card has no overclock applied. If you would have an overclock applied it would show a higher boost clock at GPU clock boost. When you actually run a game or benchmark it would most likely show a higher boost clock.

They way the boost works is that the GPU will apply a clock base don thermals, power limit and application. So you should see different GPU clock speeds in different applications. The actual clock will never be exactly the set overclock speed. Most likely more.

I really think you just have a good card. How long back is it that you noticed lower temps? Can it be that the ambient temps are higher now than back when you so lower GPU temps?

reasinglow

Commendable
Sep 16, 2020
Board partner, Inno3d .

I noticed the temps being around 65-70 when it was 1 week ago, Although it's already 3 days here and it's hitting the 30 degrees ambient ( hot weather ).

So the 1950 mhz clock I see ( It's when I play BDO ) , is the base of the graphics card?
I'm just trying to be sure as I have tried the OC scanner, and It actually showed to me, if I can remember correct that a total of 32 mhz increase has been generated.

does this mean that the Inno3d card is already Oc'd?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
its not the base. Turing cards use Boost 4.0. there is not one clock speed. The card will automatically boost based on set boost clock, temps, power limit, application. You will notice different boost speeds in different games/engines. if the ambient temp is 30 degree Celsius its not wonder why you see higher temps. But your cards has no overclock. You will only have an overclock if you set an overclock in afterburner (either manual or by using the OC tool), then apply it, and if you want to keep it, save it and assign it to one of the 5 slots. Then you have to set this profile as default for 3d applications.

The 80C is high, but ok for the high ambient temps. I wouldn't worry until it will be +85C all the time. If the temps bother you, use Afterburner to adjust the fan curve a little.

Solution