[SOLVED] Occasional black screen after waking up

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
So here's the problem that recently appeared out of nowhere.

After waking up from sleep (or in rare cases turning the monitor off and back on), the completely black screen may appear.
I say "may" because the problem appears completely randomly. First, the desktop flashes for a split second, and then screen goes all black.
The monitor power indicator LED glows continuously, which means the monitor is receiving the signal from the graphics card.
However, the screen is completely black - even the backlight is off, just as if the monitor was turned off completely.
I find it quite uncommon for a monitor to receive the signal, have the backlight turned off, and the indicator glowing continuously at the same time.
I can still use the computer, because I managed to restart it by a key combination - in other words, the computer is not frozen.

First, I try power-cycling the monitor. Desktop flashes for a split second, and screen turns black. I tried re-connecting the DVI cable, same thing happens.
The monitor finally stays on after several power-cycles. I've tried re-seating the graphics card and RAM, but it didn't help.
I updated the system and video BIOS, I have yet to see if it helps. Drivers aren't the culprit here, since the problem happens with both old and latest ones.

I'm trying to figure out whether the problem lies in monitor or graphics card. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare monitor or graphics card to test.
The monitor is connected via DVI cable, I will try connecting it with HDMI cable (when I get one) to see if it makes any difference.
I sincerely hope the problem is with the graphics card and not the monitor, since I'm quite accustomed to it.

System:

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Radeon HD 7750 1GB (connected to LG 22EA53 via DVI),
AMD FX-4130
8GB DDR3,
Windows 7 x64.

Solution
Probably final update:
The problem appeared today even at cool boot, which means the drivers and Windows in general are not the problem. Tested with my laptop connected to my monitor via HDMI - the problem appears even then. Conclusion: It's most probably the monitor issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Check and see the version of BIOS you're currently on for your motherboard. Include the age of the PSU, alongside the make and model and it's wattage. You might want to see if using DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstalling with the latest found off of AMD's support site helps. Install the drivers in an elevated command.

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
CPU: AMD FX-4130 quad-core Socket AM3+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 GeIL EVO Leggera 1333 MHz
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB SATA
HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm SATA
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7750 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Enermax NAXN Basic 500W

System BIOS: GA-970A-DS3P ver. F2j (latest beta)
Video BIOS: Sapphire 015.027.000.000 (latest HD7750 OC Edition)
PSU age: 7 years (entire system is this old, except the SSD)

UPDATE: Tested with HDMI cable, the problem is NOT solved. Disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable when the black screen appears causes Radeon Software (that works in background) to crash. The problem appeared when waking up the system from sleep. Note that the problem appeared recently, it worked fine before with the exact same configuration (hardware, driver versions, etc.) I will attempt reinstalling Windows.

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
UPDATE: Tested with hibernation instead of sleep, the problem is still there. Also tried with disabling HPET and ErP in BIOS, no changes. However, I've noticed a pattern - the problem happens when I leave the system suspended for a longer period of time (1+ hours). If I wake the system up shortly after putting it to sleep, it works fine. I suspect either the graphics card or the power supply failure. There is NO PROBLEM whatsoever when I turn on the system normally (cold boot).

THK

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
Probably final update:
The problem appeared today even at cool boot, which means the drivers and Windows in general are not the problem. Tested with my laptop connected to my monitor via HDMI - the problem appears even then. Conclusion: It's most probably the monitor issue.

Solution