Question Occasional BSODs with latest build (3700x+x470)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2020
Started to have random BSODs recently and here is a WhoCrashed log:
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Fri 06.03.2020 13:33:14 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030620-7421-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (0xFFFFF8034845A9BA)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, 0xFFFFF8034845A9BA, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 06.03.2020 13:33:14 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys (0xFFFFF8034845A9BA)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000096, 0xFFFFF8034845A9BA, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 02.03.2020 2:21:14 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030220-7359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x1B95)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFD1, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80214F131D6, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 02.03.2020 1:22:36 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030220-8312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2380)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFB3FDFF0049FE, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8024EF542F9)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 01.03.2020 13:13:17 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030120-7687-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1510)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x57A51F, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80318E3C2D1)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

On Tue 25.02.2020 12:34:27 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022520-7812-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1510)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFF8184F01FE810, 0xFFFF8184F01FE768, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.

The thing is that it mostly happened while playing Legends of Runeterra beta so I kinda shrugged it off as a faulty game, but some of these happened outside of it even tho I can pretty much 100% recreate it (especially
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe error) or the game just closes without any error, but it's not really about the game.
As far as I can tell it's a driver problem of some sort. My build is Ryzen 3700x + ASUS TUF x470 gaming plus with 2x16gb of 3200/16 memory

I tried most of the ways to solve this issue and I need Dr. House of PC issues now.
I scanned all the system files, ran multiple driver verifier checkers, reinstalled the windows, updated motherboard bios with it's online self updater, I'm using the latest chipset/network/audio drivers available on the official site, DDU'd video drivers many times and tested the system with Memtest64 and windows original memtest with 0 erros.
I have no idea what I should do next, please help me.

Edit: Minidumps https://drive.google.com/open?id=102B7B5EcMRG8T1fQhHDJ1yGjee-_mZYE
Also saw a solution with
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdppm
Change Start to have a value of 4.
What it does exactly and should I do it even?

Full system specs are: Ryzen 3700x, ASUS TUF x470 gaming plus, 32gb 3200/cl16, gtx1070, some thermaltake toughpower gold 750w, Samsung evo 860 ssd

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which BIOS version are you running and what version of Windows 10 are you on? Which slots are occupied with the sticks of ram?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all the minidump files from here to another folder
Upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here. I will ask a friend to convert dumps

whocrashed almost always blames ntoskrnl as it is windows kernel and was likely victim of a driver request.

Its nice of it to blame hal.dll for a change, and the AMD chipset drivers.

Mar 6, 2020
can you go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all the minidump files from here to another folder
Upload the copies from new folder to a file sharing website and show link here. I will ask a friend to convert dumps

whocrashed almost always blames ntoskrnl as it is windows kernel and was likely victim of a driver request.

Its nice of it to blame hal.dll for a change, and the AMD chipset drivers.
I already added minidumps in the edit even before the post. Sorry, should have added them earlier.

Mar 6, 2020
Which BIOS version are you running and what version of Windows 10 are you on? Which slots are occupied with the sticks of ram?
Bios version says its 5406
Memory sticks are placed in A2 and B2 slots
Windows is Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18363.693 (1909/November 2019 Update) according to hwinfo64. The latest that I could get with an updater

Mar 6, 2020
I don't normally suggest registry edits so I don't know what that change does.
Supposedly it changes the "power state of CPU", but I don't know either.
Edit: So apparently it disables the power management driver and puts it to 100% all the time. Not doing it, but just fyi

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, i can see where you can get that answer - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/941dd57b-1bde-453d-a9d9-278942ff38b5?auth=1

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AmdPPM\DWORD\Start (3) change to (4) to disable the amdPPM.sys driver that makes the CPU throttle down.

Start DWORD (3) Manual:. The service does not start until the user starts it manually, such as by using Services or Devices in Control Panel.
Start DWORD (4) Disabled: Specifies that the service should not be started.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-cpu-is-locked-at-1-36-ghz-with-a-3-50-ghz-cpu.3216842/

appears it disables driver... one way to fix it I guess.

I have sent link to a friend, he likely asleep right now but will answer later.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://spellbindinggreymouselemur.htmlpasta.com/

I only did the 1st dump file. At first I tried all 5 and there were so many errors that it was taking my software minutes when it usually takes a few seconds. I tried editing the errors out but that took 15 minutes and then I found part of the text to be corrupt. So I re-ran the 1st dump file only. Anyway, this 1 dump file should help.

File information:022520-7812-01.dmp (Feb 25 2020 - 04:34:27)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LoR.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 49 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know if amdppm is the cause or just the victim. SInce the crashes that mention it are likely some of the ones GM had problems with, I may never know. Due to way whocrashed reports show, the top 2 errors are actually the same crash (one is result from memory.dmp, another is the minidump of same error). amdppm may have been what crashed but not actual cause.

looking at the one dump that did work, my interpretation is its likely caused by Nvidia drivers. I know you have run ddu many times but did you ever run windows update afterwards and allow windows to use the drivers they have? They are still nvidia drivers, just older ones. I have noticed people on 10 series cards have more errors with the new Nvidia drivers.
Dump mentions Windows Desktop Manager which is the process that handles all GPU transactions. Also mentions Direct Composition which is a process of windows that uses the GPU to do certain actions. I have seen errors similar to this one in recent weeks.

Mar 6, 2020
BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.
Motherboard bios? I don't know what else to do with it as it's own updater says it's the latest one and it matches the version on the website.

looking at the one dump that did work, my interpretation is its likely caused by Nvidia drivers. I know you have run ddu many times but did you ever run windows update afterwards and allow windows to use the drivers they have?
So you're suggesting to use a slightly more outdated version? I'll try it, but I'm not sure if this will help. So I just need to run windows updater right after I DDU the driver?

At first I was digging for motherboard drivers as a lot of errors pointed to amd/asus related services, but if you're thinking that it's more about gpu then I'll try to tinker with it more.

The thing is that I don't remember a bsod on a heavy load, but more about low to medium like watching a full HD gpu accelerated youtube video in chrome or playing that Legends of Runeterra game that get me like 90% of all bsods and pretty much never on a heavier load processes.

Reactions: _Treadstone

Colif

Win 11 Master
In hindsight, it is possible i misread that Nvidia error. I have seen same error 3 times today, 2 had Nvidia drivers installed but 3rd had none at all and was in process of just running DDU. So I will have to think again.

We have noticed that new AMD bios don't always show sys info so I would ignore that warning. Its just an auto line in his script.

Mar 6, 2020
In hindsight, it is possible i misread that Nvidia error. I have seen same error 3 times today, 2 had Nvidia drivers installed but 3rd had none at all and was in process of just running DDU. So I will have to think again.

We have noticed that new AMD bios don't always show sys info so I would ignore that warning. Its just an auto line in his script.
The clue that I have is LoR doing absolutely random stuff. Even tho BSODs can happen outside of it they're fairly rare, but playing this almost guarantees one in an hour. The strange part is that it frequently just closes. No errors, no anything, just a process termination and there is about 25% that this termination will lead to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ntoskrnl.exe error (like that Sun 01.03.2020 13:13:17 crash)

Mar 6, 2020
have you crashed since disabling amdppm?

try running this, since 4 of the dumps were corrupted it will at least show me what windows has reported for the errors. it might help.
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/
I haven't disabled amdppm yet.

That program stucks at endless
Waiting for SystemInfo
Waiting for SystemInfo
Waiting for SystemInfo prompt, unless I'm doing something wrong here.

Edit: Apparently it's normal and google says I can ignore it (Furthermore, on occasion, the CMD screen will read "waiting for system info" for over 15 minutes. This is due to excess msinfo32/ WERCON entries. If this occurs, simply bring up Task Manager or SysInternals Process Explorer and "kill" the Sysnative app. )

Edit 2:
So random intuition flash said that I should change the windows language system to English and BSODcollectionApp check went without a problem. Reuploading.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qPgVw7OltlM6HN4FLMrGzdjNBk38mj9u

Actually it might be why dumps were corrupted too. Some unicode problem perhaps.

Edit 3:
So here is the freshest BSOD dump
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17pi8LCglnbyrOYxO8oAfyyeCALMtqxT8

WhoCrashed log
On Sat 07.03.2020 13:01:25 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030720-8187-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFF8403CEADF880, 0xFFFF8403CEADF7D8, 0x0)
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.

On Sat 07.03.2020 13:01:25 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x81A9)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFF8403CEADF880, 0xFFFF8403CEADF7D8, 0x0)

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is possible @gardenman see if the other 4 work in english? its not completely translated, but its close. (top link in 2nd post includes all previous 5 crash dumps)

specs
CPU - Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard - ASUS TUF x470 gaming plus
GPU - GTX 1070
16gd RAM
Razer Deathadder Elite

I spent last 10 minutes convinced the listing in system info/Software environment/Windows error reporting wasn't showing same amount of BSOD as you had dumps, but I was overlooking one.

i don't see anything in here that tells me anything.

I guess GM will get that new ones as well

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020
@Colif I can't describe how thankful I am for you both trying to help with me here.
Currently I'm running the system without amdppm driver. I'm still not sure what exactly it does though. CPU seems to work exactly the same as before with variable frequencies according to the load.

Edit:
So it BSODed without amdppm now.
On Sat 07.03.2020 14:08:19 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030720-7484-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xC3, 0xFFFFF8033558915B)

On Sat 07.03.2020 14:08:19 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x81A9)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x0, 0xFF, 0xC3, 0xFFFFF8033558915B)
At least there is a new ntkrnlmp.exe file there

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020
I was extensively using the verifier with every possible combinations (and quite a few windows system restores) and I got a problem with RzDev_005c.sys which is a razer synapse driver so I uninstalled Synapse 3.0 and installed Synapse 2.0 and got another problen now with some other razer file - rzendpt.sys. The problem here is that the mouse is barely usable without the software as it defaults to some random default acceleration settings. Used Autoruns to disable all razer services for now.

I still don't know if it's actually razer stuff behaving this poorly or it's a victim of another process, but I guess it's something.

On Sat 07.03.2020 16:09:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030720-6109-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: rzendpt.sys (0xFFFFF80ED24826E5)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x2000, 0xFFFFF80ED24826E5, 0x0, 0x6E657A72)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rzendpt.sys
product: Razer RzEndPt
company: Razer Inc
description: Razer RzEndPt
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: rzendpt.sys (Razer RzEndPt, Razer Inc).
Google query: rzendpt.sys Razer Inc DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, I have seen razer drivers crash in the past and be the cause of BSOD. Synapse is a very big reason I don't use Razer anymore, I used to have a Black Widow & Razer mouse, now I use Logitech G910 & Steelseries mouse. Much less troublesome.

As for other drivers... well, there is a new chipset driver for motherboard on website dated 20th Jan 20 so if any motherboard driver is going to help USB it is likely it. https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/TUF-X470-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

USB functions are built into windows otherwise.

Mar 6, 2020
@Colif So I'm on a fresh windows install (again). Apparently it's faster to reset stuff like that.
Should I bother with chipset updates for now or leave it at windows defaults and see how it goes?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would go to Asus website and grab newest drivers there (maybe not audio as win 10 can get realtek drivers). The chipset drivers should at least be around same age as BIOS and since you have the latest. it might help.

gardenman

Splendid
see if the other 4 work in english
The files in the sysnative archive are the same ones that I've already look at. The sysnative archive just collects them if they already exist.

Note sure this will help since this crash was before you reinstalled Windows? Anyway, results: https://dilettantepygmyhippopotamus.htmlpasta.com/

File information:030720-8187-01.dmp (Mar 7 2020 - 05:01:25)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: LoR.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Mar 6, 2020
For now there are no BSODs yet, but I'm afraid to tinker with the new system. I'll post in a day or two how it goes. As always thank you all for trying to help me with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.