[SOLVED] Occasional crashes and BSOD (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) since November 7

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
My computer has been crashing occasionally since November 7th, sometimes locking up completely, sometimes showing a bluescreen with the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error and freezing there. This is similar to the last problem I had, though not exactly the same, and my computer was mostly fine since then. I had one more crash on May 16th of this year, but that only happened once, so I just brushed it aside. But the problem is much more common now, happening about once per day.

Since this problem started occurring, I have tried the following solutions without success:
-Updating my network driver (through the device manager) and video card (through a manual download).
-Running the DISM and System File Checker tools through the command line, which didn't report any problems.

When this happened yesterday, the Event Log reported a BugCheck with the following text:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xffffffffc0000096, 0xfffff8035eecd65e, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.

I haven't seen anything unusual in the Event Log apart from that (though I'm no expert), apart from the generic unexpected shutdown messages.

Unfortunately, the computer was unable to complete a minidump. At best, it seems to freeze shortly after showing a bluescreen, so it never finishes collecting error data. WhoCrashed reports that the full-size memory dump is corrupted too, and couldn't provide any information.

Some things to note:
-I can't think of anything that updated around the time this started happening; I have been blocking Windows updates (by telling Windows I'm on a metered connection) and I didn't notice anything being forced through. My computer was working fine for a long time and I kept hearing about issues with recent updates, so I figured it was safer to keep it like it was. On the other hand, this means my computer is several months out of date. Maybe I should update if I can't find an alternate solution.

-These crashes seem to happen shortly after powering on my computer or resuming from sleep mode, similar to my last problem but not as quickly. Based on what I've seen, they seem to happen soon after I start using my computer: I could turn it on and let it sit for half an hour without problems, then get a crash 10-15 minutes after I start using it. I haven't seen a crash happen when I had been using my computer for a while already. Is it possible that a program I'm running is causing this problem? The only one I can remember running every time it happened is Firefox, though I have also been able to use Firefox for long periods without problems (I'm using Google Chrome to type this, just to be safe).

-November 7th, the day this started happening, is the end of Daylight Savings Time for me. The computer's clock adjusted itself automatically, as usual. Could this problem be related?

Any help would be appreciated.

---

My computer specs, copied from the summary page of Speccy:
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300 21 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. GA-78LMT-S2 (Socket M2) 31 °C
Graphics
Sceptre H43 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI) 27 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA ) 32 °C
476GB SPCC Solid State Disk ATA Device (SATA (SSD)) 40 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
USB Audio Device

Network device:
Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC

Solution
its possible its the Nvidia drivers

try running ddu in safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers. If you got the current ones from Nvidia, try running windows update instead after the restart and let windows find drivers for card, they will be from Nvidia but older more stable drivers

You might want to update wifi drivers if you can
May 23 2018rtwlanu.sysRealtek WLAN USB NDIS Driver https://www.realtek.com/en/

unless you use Ethernet in which case, those are old as well:
May 24 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family...

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
When searching for information on my motherboard, I found this thread saying that Gigabyte stopped supporting drivers after Windows 8. Is that what you were referring to? If so, that might be related to my problem, though I assume I would have to get a replacement to fix that.

Is it possible to find information on my PSU without opening my computer? It's in a difficult to reach spot, and I'm not able to open that part at the moment. I'm using a prebuilt Cyberpower PC, but so far I haven't had luck finding model information online.

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
Another crash to report, different from the last but possibly related.

This time I did get a minidump file, so I uploaded it at the link below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr632dw229tluae/111021-37656-01.dmp?dl=0

I was in the middle of playing a game when I went to get my headphones from near my computer. I fumbled when I was picking them up, dropping some things and bumping the case, after which the game crashed with an error window I have never seen before (listing a few lines of errors starting with "dx", I think, but I didn't have time to note it down). Then I knocked my PC gaming controller down (which I had plugged in but rarely use), and about the same time it hit the floor, my computer crashed to a bluescreen. This time the error message was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, and it actually finished collecting error information and restarted, which is unusual for me.

I don't know if everything in that sequence of events is related or if this is the same problem as the one I was having, but I thought I should report it all, just in case. I unplugged my controller in case it was part of the problem (maybe a button was pressed when it hit the floor, and that crashed the computer?), and thinking that something in my computer might be loose, I opened it up to make sure everything was firmly secured (as best as I could, some things are very hard to get to).

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/s6bkyupL/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:111021-37656-01.dmp (Nov 10 2021 - 23:19:59)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-S2-rev-11#ov
I'm unable to tell which Revision of the motherboard that you have. I've linked to the Revision 1.1 page but that could be wrong.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible its the Nvidia drivers

try running ddu in safe mode and reinstall Nvidia drivers. If you got the current ones from Nvidia, try running windows update instead after the restart and let windows find drivers for card, they will be from Nvidia but older more stable drivers

You might want to update wifi drivers if you can
May 23 2018rtwlanu.sysRealtek WLAN USB NDIS Driver https://www.realtek.com/en/

unless you use Ethernet in which case, those are old as well:
May 24 2019rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
newest for them can be found here under windows header. Download Win10/Win11 Auto Installation Program (NDIS) from here - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

I have seen these cause BSOD in the past as well
Nov 12 2018dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
Nov 26 2018dtliteusbbus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

Solution

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
Thank you for the advice. I have had problems with my video card before, so I wonder if that's the cause of this problem.

I uninstalled DAEMON Tools, did a clean reinstall of my video card drivers with DDU, and updated my Ethernet drivers - though I don't think I use Ethernet, so I'm not sure why I had a driver for it in the first place. I figured it was better to update it anyway to be safe.

For the WiFi drivers, the latest I could find on the site is version 1030.25.0701.2017 at this page, but I got a newer version (1030.27.425.2018) by updating it through the Device Manager. That's still from 2018, though. Are there any more recent driver updates out there? I haven't been able to find anything.

Otherwise, I haven't had any crashes since the last, so I'm hopeful that something I did solved this problem. I'll keep an eye on my computer and mark this as solved in a few days if I don't encounter further problems.