Occasional FPS drops in GTA5 and a few other games on a pretty beefy PC.

Nov 7, 2018
Hello, I'm having these weird moments in Grand Theft Auto 5, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and sometimes even Fortnite. I put occasional in the title because it happens randomly but in a few specific areas of the games. For example, (GTA5) after exiting the Sandy Shores area my FPS will drop from a V-Synced 60 FPS to an annoying >50 FPS drop and stay like this until I look away from that area or go a away from it. It also happens when I enter the city of Los Santos. The same kinda happens in Euro Truck. When I enter cities, my frames will drop to >50 or 55 from a locked 60 smooth FPS. Fortnite happens to randomly hic-up when I'm playing, some sort of a stutter but it's not really as annoying and experience ruining as the others.

My System is like a month old. But I've had issues with the motherboard. Look down below.
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
MOBO: MSI B350 Krait Gaming
GPU: Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ OC 8GB
2xRAM: HyperX 2400mhz 8GB
SSD for OS: Kingston 120GB
HDD for storage: Western Digital Black 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX650M

"In short, I was facing Ethernet/LAN issues with my motherboard, no it wasn't corrupted drivers, they were missing altogether from my system and could not be installed due to Deep Sleep Issues. My only guess and final decision after rechecking everything is that my motherboard had a faulty LAN connection. Anyhow, I got a Gigabit ethernet adapter and it works just fine."

Nov 7, 2018
I meant that the Ethernet issue was "solved". I know about the RAM limitation and I plan to swap 2x8GB 3000mhz RAM sticks with a friend of mine. I didn't read or at least knew anything about motherboard limitations. My friend also plans to buy the same motherboard as you currently have from what I see. So are you telling me that this could be a possible solution to my issues I'm facing? I wouldn't believe that a not so suitable motherboard would mean that my games were not running at peak performance. I doubt that my MOBO is the issue. I bet it has something to do with drivers. (Yes I reinstalled older drivers, installed new drivers even went as far to update the BIOS.)

Nov 7, 2018
Okay, here's an update. I read somewhere that I should "Set Priority" to GTA5.exe to "High", I did so and the game seems to be running "almost" buttery smooth with the occasional stutter, but that's to be expected. Is this a permanent solution? I'll also be sent a 1080/1080ti in a few months or year, I think this will sort the graphic issues for a long time. Any other tips I could use as far as my question? Please feel free to post any other possible solutions.

Edit: Never mind, when night came in the game, the same issue persisted, looking at LS and looking into Sandy Shore from the highways dropped my FPS... Could this be a Windows 10 Pro update that's messing with gaming lately?

What's your monitor resolution?

What slots do you have the RAM installed to?

When you look at or enter a busy city the CPU usually ramps up and processes all the information. It then feeds the GPU the data(simplified). Look at your CPU usage when you enter or look at the city.

Nov 7, 2018
My display is a 60hz 1920x1080 television. It's not a Computer Monitor and it's also from 2008. I figured this would cause some kind of issue later on but I doubt it could be this that's messing my frames.
The RAM sticks are installed in DIMM2 and DIMM4, 1 and 3 are supposedly not optimized, I don't know why... That's what my MOBO says.
So, CPU usage is normally about >40% MAX peak, this only happens in a few cores, like for example core 2 and 6 will be kinda high compared to the other cores. Here's what I also noticed. When night falls in the game and I'm out on Sandy Shores, FPS dip to like 47 when looking at the general direction of LS and the Military Base. As I also saw, GPU usage is always 100% but CPU plays around the usage areas, going from 10% to 30% and sometimes one core or two peaking at 60% for like a second.

Also, CPU-Z says that my ram is running at 1199.3Mhz.
And I also have Game Boost on, which puts my CPU at 3650Mhz, exiting the Game Mode the auto boost feature will get my CPU at arround 3450Mhz

Nov 7, 2018
Alright, thank you for your help and your time. I'll leave this thread open for a few days, if no one replies I'll pick you as a the solution. I also read somewhere that GTA5 is heavily optimized on Nvidia GPUs, kinda seems logical, since the most OP cards are the Nvidia ones.

TRENDING THREADS