Occasional freezing at login

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016
Hi guy, I appreciate any input from you.

So I built my first PC almost a month ago, and it works very well, mostly.

I have the overclocks stable, after hours of testing to make sure there isn't any instability. Crucial SSD firmware has been updated. All drivers up to date. So everything should be fine. But it's not.

I've tried bring the stock clocks back, but occasionally it still freezes on login.

1/5 times I login, the system freezes. I've tried waiting many minutes, but nothing happens. No BSOD, no shutdown, it just freezes at the login screen. According to my SSD lights, it's not active AT ALL.

I've tried sfc/scannow in admin command prompt, and no files are corrupted. I cannot think what the problem must be. I am forced to hold the power button to power it off, then back on. Reset switch doesn't work when frozen.

Here are my PC specs:

i5 6600k
MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB
MSI TOMAHAWK AC
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD
(2 x 8) 16GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS V SERIES
Hyper 212 EVO
EVGA superNOVA 80+ Gold certified 550W Fully modular.

Thanks.

Solution

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016
I doubt it's a drive issue; if you can boot to the login screen then your SSD is probably fine. It is, however, more likely to be a Windows issue. Which version of Windows are you using? If it's Win 10, you might need to uninstall one of the updates. If that doesn't fix it, then you might need a clean re-installation of the OS.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

It's windows 10 pro.

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016

Ah k good. Please do the following:

1) Uninstall the most recent Windows Update
2) Press Windows Key + R; then type in msconfig. Make sure that "Normal Startup" is selected.
3) If the above options do not work, then please:
A) Reset Windows
B) Reinstall Windows

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

In msconfig, selective startup is chosen, but everything is selected(Load system services, Load startup items, Use original boot configuration.). Do I still need to check normal startup?

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016

Yes. Although it may seem like everything is checked, selective startup is inherently a different process from normal startup.

Solution