Question Occasional hard-lock/frozen and unresponsive, but no BSODs or error messages ?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Specs in Sig;
My current PC is my first 'top of the line' system I've built/owned. Haven't owned a gaming PC in 12 years so I don't fully know what I'm doing outside of reading guides when it comes to optimizing.

That said, my system has hardlocked/frozen 3 times over the past 4 or so months. No WHEA errors after gaming sessions. I've had longer (few hours) and short (2 hour) sessions where it happened. I've also played for 12 hours straight at a time with No issues. Everything just freezes, non-responsive but doesn't blue screen or anything.

Happened twice on TC: Wildlands and once on Hogwarts Legacy.

There are 5 things that come to mind but I want input before I waste any time on something that won't make any difference.

1) Undervolt: Had a -0.100 offset. I've backed that off to -0.075 for the time being.

2) Overclock: Changed the Multiplier for all P-cores to x55. Not sure if that was too aggressive (w/ or wo/ said Undervolt). Have since backed that off to x54 on all P-cores.

3) RAM: XMP is fully stable at 4000Mhz, BIOS had it as Gear Auto, I forced Gear1.

4) GPU: Flashed a higher wattage vBIOS. This is the one I think least likely to be locking things up. It's no more than a modest OC in Afterburner but without needing to OC. Same Manufacturer, just different sub model.

5) BIOS: Bios for some reason had some ungodly power limit for the CPU set on Auto (over 1000w), i changed that but don't remember to what. I changed this per advice I read online to bring temps down. It's definitely not below Boost wattage but also don't know what ATM. Suggestions?

Last bit of note. Hottest CPU has gotten is 77c and hottest GPU has gotten is 74c, so it's not a cooling issue. (Also I didn't fit in my sig, it's a 1000w Gold MSI PSU, so it's not a lack of power). - - MPG-A1000G-PCIE5

Latest BIOS, drivers, Windows Stable..

Last edited: