occasional machine_check_exception bluescreens and freezes after installing i7 9700k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2018
Ever since i installed an i7 9700k on my asus prime z370-p board i've been getting seemingly random pc freezes/lockups that sometimes jump to a "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" bluescreen and sometimes just keep my entire pc frozen at whatever was on the screen at that moment. Whenever the blue screen pops up i have no choice but to manually restart the pc because it stays at "0% complete".

The pc will work fine sometimes for hours of gaming and then crash when browsing the internet for example. I've ran the intel cpu diagnostic tool which didnt show any faults. The cpu also doesn't reach temperatures of over ~75C during stress tests(OCCT) or demanding tasks according to CPUID Hwmonitor.

Worst part is that when the freezes happen i cant seem to be able to find any clues in the Event Viewer.

Has anyone encountered similar issues with the i7 9700k and has ideas that would solve this problem?

Nov 20, 2018

Unfortunately no, despite the settings being set to create a MEMORY.DMP file i couldn't find either.

Nov 20, 2018

I have installed the latest asus prime z370 p bios which is version 1410 as of now.
and i have also done a clean install right after the issue started occuring on my previous install of windows but the crashes still happen.

What are your COMPLETE system specs(makes, models, capacities,etc.) including your PSU?
While freezes tend to be memory related, crashes and restarts tend to be power related.

Nov 20, 2018

ASUS Prime z370 p Mobo
Intel Core i7 9700k CPU
Corsair Hydro H100i v2 CPU cooler
ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 A8G
Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8 GB DDR4 2400 RAM
Corsair RM 650x 80+ Gold PSU

cant check the exact models of my storage right now but i have one 500gb SSD one 1tb HDD and one 500gb HDD

I uninstalled Razer Synapse 3 about 4 days a go and havent had a single crash since that, i reinstalled it yesterday and everything worked crash free for now. I also reinstalled simmilar control software like Corsairs ICUE and ASUS GPU TweakII to be safe.

If you too are using Razer Synapse 3 please inform me wether you have a similar pattern occuring.

Nov 20, 2018
I have recently noticed the freeze pattern occurring whenever the epic games launcher is installed/was ran in the session of windows. I would go weeks without freezes and then get a freeze within 30 minutes of installing the epic games launcher. This can be attributed to confirmation bias since i don't have any crash logs. But i've done several installations of the laucher and they all seemed to result in freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.