[SOLVED] Occasional Severe System Freezing

Jun 26, 2019
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: 28GB DDR4
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B450F Gaming
GPU: GTX 1060 Founders
STORAGE: 500GB Adata SSD

This is a relatively new build where I got a new cpu and mobo, the rest is from a previous build. Upon getting everything set up, everything runs very well. Except on occasion, I'll get severe freezing for around 30 seconds of my entire system, and then it will end, occasionally crashing open programs. When this happens, very often my disk is being used to 100% and if it happens while a game is running my graphics card will often be running at maximum as well. I've made sure my graphics card is seating in the mobo well and is being used as x16 PCIE. In terms of updates I've checked: Bios updates, motherboard driver updates, nvidia game driver updates, and windows updates. I am connected to Ethernet at all times and have made sure there is no overheating issues either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I think your RAM is the problem here.
Mixing it like that just doesn't work, especially with different types and speeds.
RAM has to be identical sticks from the same manufacturer.
These Ryzen chips are a lot more fussy with RAM As well.

Andy

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: 28GB DDR4
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B450F Gaming
GPU: GTX 1060 Founders
STORAGE: 500GB Adata SSD

This is a relatively new build where I got a new cpu and mobo, the rest is from a previous build. Upon getting everything set up, everything runs very well. Except on occasion, I'll get severe freezing for around 30 seconds of my entire system, and then it will end, occasionally crashing open programs. When this happens, very often my disk is being used to 100% and if it happens while a game is running my graphics card will often be running at maximum as well. I've made sure my graphics card is seating in the mobo well and is being used as x16 PCIE. In terms of updates I've checked: Bios updates, motherboard driver updates, nvidia game driver updates, and windows updates. I am connected to Ethernet at all times and have made sure there is no overheating issues either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Speaking of new build.. the problem started upon building the unit?
Can I know what exactly are the exact spec of each:
  1. RAM (is this new too? unusual spec right here, I assume they are different RAMs seated together) 8+8+8+4?
  2. PSU

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019
Speaking of new build.. the problem started upon building the unit?
Can I know what exactly are the exact spec of each:
  1. RAM (is this new too? unusual spec right here, I assume they are different RAMs seated together) 8+8+8+4?
  2. PSU

1. 2 sticks of RAM are new. You are correct, its 8+8+8+4. Had 12, but wanted to upgrade and figured why not just go all the way with some sticks. 2 sticks are Crucial 8 and 4 GB DDR4-2400 Memory, 2 are Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz.
  2. PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.
  3. Storage is ADATA Premier 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

And yes, this problem began upon starting up this new build, never had an issue with previous mobo, ram, or cpu.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Mixing it like that just doesn't work, especially with different types and speeds.

Andy

Solution
Jun 26, 2019

Andy
Hi guys. Took out the older RAM sticks, now just running 16 GB of the Corsair Vengence. Just experienced another freeze, except this time, there was a series of beeps coming through my headphones as it was frozen and my mouse was moving, except it was very laggy and slow. Not sure if this is helpful, but seems like I'm still having some sort of issue. Thanks for the help

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
  1. 2 sticks of RAM are new. You are correct, its 8+8+8+4. Had 12, but wanted to upgrade and figured why not just go all the way with some sticks. 2 sticks are Crucial 8 and 4 GB DDR4-2400 Memory, 2 are Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz.
  2. PSU is EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.
  3. Storage is ADATA Premier 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
And yes, this problem began upon starting up this new build, never had an issue with previous mobo, ram, or cpu.

HAve you tried placing one RAM at a time? You should do that first.. It's the basic protocol every troubleshooter should do.