[SOLVED] Occasionally no monitor or USB power on start-up of 1 yr old custom PC build (possible RAM problem) ?

Jun 28, 2021
Hello!

I built my PC in April 2020 and had zero issues until February 2021. I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.804).
Build Details:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzden 3700x
  • CPU Cooler: stock/came with CPU
  • Motherboard: MSI B450i Gaming Plus Ac
  • Memory: Vengeance Pro White 32GB
  • Storage (Extra): Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
  • Storage (OS): Crucial P1 1TB M.2
  • Video Card: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060
  • Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Snow
  • Power Supply: Evga Gold 550W
  • Front Fan RGB: Thermaltake 200mm
  • RGB Exhaust Fans (x2): Noctua A8
After one of the bigger Windows 10 updates (maybe around February 5th?) I've encountered the occasional black screen on startup (not from sleep, but from completely powered off) with no response or lighting up of the keyboard, mouse, or monitor. The CPU debug light on the motherboard is on every time this happens.

The fans and their RGBs in the case all light up and turn on like normal, but nothing else happens. Usually it takes exactly two power cycles (holding down power button to turn off, then hitting again to turn on - do that twice) and then it will boot normally from what I can tell. I haven't noticed any other issues with performance other than one crash with blue screen recently (I think it was related to Adobe software I use for photo/video-editing...?) but I'd like to address this one in case it is a symptom of a larger problem. I also haven't identified much of a pattern of when this occurs.

I posted over on the Win10 forums a few months ago since I thought it was related to the Windows update. Some recommended it was a RAM problem. I re-seated the RAM and didn't have this happen for a few weeks, thought that fixed it. Then it started happening again and has been doing it for the last ~2 weeks, maybe every other day? Debating buying new RAM or even a motherboard or both, but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or any other ideas on what might be wrong.

Appreciate any help or advice in advance! <3

Solution
You mean the SKU number? I'm not sure where to find P/N but this is the one I have:

SKU CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W

Will try the other recommendations as well.

Yes the SKU is a Stock Keeping Unit (Part number)
You have (2x16) 32 GB of 3200MHz OC RAM so the XMP for easy Overclocking may not work. You may find the frequency (on initial boot) at default is lower than the rated frequency (3200MHz) in which case you will need to manually input the Timings and voltage within Bios (DRAM Timing control)

Ensure your Bios and chipset are up to date.
Once your RAM works and stable then you should conduct a stress test for system stability.
Jun 26, 2021
Hey, I noticed that you posted in my thread. My problem is still not resolved, but I stumbled upon a solution that might work for you.

There's a "fast startup" option in Windows power management settings, disabling it might fix your issue. Worth giving it a shot.

Reactions: kroekatoa
Jun 28, 2021
Hey, I noticed that you posted in my thread. My problem is still not resolved, but I stumbled upon a solution that might work for you.

There's a "fast startup" option in Windows power management settings, disabling it might fix your issue. Worth giving it a shot.

Thanks!! I've had that option off since I built the computer. I did reseat my RAM and graphics card again and it hasn't done it since Sunday, so maybe that was the problem again lol.

You need to determine if the RAM your using is OK and functional first of all.
List the P/N of your RAM kit? to know what we are dealing with.

Test with a single stick in the slot meant for single channel mode and try switching modules around. You should also test your RAM using Memtest86 by booting from a USB. Run 4 passes and if there are any errors then you have faulty RAM and the full kit should be RMA.

The CPU debug led staying on is of concern if RAM proves OK.

Jun 28, 2021
You need to determine if the RAM your using is OK and functional first of all.
List the P/N of your RAM kit? to know what we are dealing with.

Test with a single stick in the slot meant for single channel mode and try switching modules around. You should also test your RAM using Memtest86 by booting from a USB. Run 4 passes and if there are any errors then you have faulty RAM and the full kit should be RMA.

The CPU debug led staying on is of concern if RAM proves OK.

You mean the SKU number? I'm not sure where to find P/N but this is the one I have: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-PRO-RGB-White/p/CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W

SKU CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W

You mean the SKU number? I'm not sure where to find P/N but this is the one I have:

SKU CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W

Yes the SKU is a Stock Keeping Unit (Part number)
You have (2x16) 32 GB of 3200MHz OC RAM so the XMP for easy Overclocking may not work. You may find the frequency (on initial boot) at default is lower than the rated frequency (3200MHz) in which case you will need to manually input the Timings and voltage within Bios (DRAM Timing control)

Ensure your Bios and chipset are up to date.
Once your RAM works and stable then you should conduct a stress test for system stability.

Solution