Question occt errors at factory settings need help with SA iO and RAM voltages

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I7 9700k
MSI mag Tomahawk z390
rtx 2060
hxi 850w psu
3200mzh corsair vengeance ram (running at 2133)

So when trying to undervolt my cpu to lower my temps a bit I discovered that my system is actually unstable at factory settings as occt would find errors, but the errors didn't indicate what was actually failing. At this point I ran Intel cpu diag on loop overnight and sure enough the test eventually failed during the IMC test. Needless to say I was a bit suprised the cpu was being flagged as faulty as I have not really done anything to the cpu that would cause it to fail and I know cpus don't typically fail unless you really abuse them. I haven't even OC'd the cpu besides running with enhanced turbo turned on for a couple hours at one point. My operating temps have never spiked over the mid 80s even when in enhanced turbo, so no damage should have occurred due to heat. I tested the system with known good RAM and still the issue persists. I've updated the bios and still no luck on correcting the problem. Once I finished doing all that and even resetting bios by pulling the cmos battery I decided to test the system with the RAM slightly underclocked and turbo boost disabled and the system passes all tests, so then I decided to do a little research and bumped the voltage up slightly from factory on the SA, IO and RAM and sure enough the system passes the tests. I then tried replacing the cpu thinking somehow perhaps it was actually faulty, but now the new cpu is doing the same thing. Clearly at this point the issue seems to be with the systemboard factory settings being off at least ever so slightly. My question now is what are safe voltages for SA and IO that won't risk degrading or damaging the cpu? I do intend to ask MSI about RMA options but if they won't offer advance RMA I'll probably just start saving up for a new and better mobo that isn't an MSI mobo. This is assuming I can manually input safe voltages that will make the system occt and intel diag stable and not risk degrading, damaging or voiding my cpu warranty which is what I'm hoping someone can tell me here.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Ok, so I've done some addition research on this, and I can't seem to find an agreed upon safe voltage for VCCSA and VCCIO out there. Some are saying as high as 1.3 is fine while others state it is best to not go over 1.15, so any help I could get on this matter would be great.(by safe voltage I mean no risk of damage or degradation during the 3 year warranty) I was also wondering if it makes sense to fix the memory/imc errors before lowering my vcore, or if it is ok to work on all these items at the same time.

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
Ok, so update, 99% sure at this point that I resolved this problem. It appears that my MSI Z390 MAG tomahawk wasn't providing quite enough voltage to my RAM at stock settings as upping the RAM voltage by .05v allows Intel cpu daigs to pass and I've run OCCT several times for 5 or so hours and all appears good. I just figured I should post this update in case anyone else runs into this issue as MSI support wasn't much help claiming my issue was caused by unsupported memory, and that if I wanted to I could send the mobo back to them for them to test which would take at least 4 weeks. Thanks but no thanks. I'll likely get a better mobo in the next year or so, and not be quite as cheap this time around.