[SOLVED] OCCT Stopped for overheating

Jun 30, 2019
Hello,

I have had an issue of sudden black screens under load (see here : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/graphics-card-crash-while-playing.3495168/) and after some troubleshooting I have finally replaced by PSU with a new better one (seasonic focus gold 650).

Now I want to test if it has resolved my problem so I use OCCT (That was a way I had found to trigger the issue with the former PSU).
Now, the black scren don't seem to happen but for some reason the tests"linkpack" stops before completion (normal OCCT and Graphics seem to work fine).

So the test stops when CPU temp reaches 85 C or so and under progression I have "overheating". Under status I have "no error".

Is it normal?

Edit: Just did a PSU test of only 5 mn and it completed but tells me "3 errors".

Last edited:
Solution
Skylent,

Depending upon how you ran OCCT, whether it was the latest or an earlier version, or whether it was with default or custom settings for either Linpack or CPU: OCCT, you may have applied an "overload" to your processor at about 115%. Test variables can contribute to, or potentially cause BSOD crashes, so it's important to understand the nature of the workload you're using for testing.

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Prime95 v29.8 Small FFT's (AVX disabled) is ideally suited for testing thermal performance, because it conforms to...
Jun 30, 2019
I don't think I usually have overheating issue. Usually the temp is fine
It's just that with this test, the temperature reaches 85 C after only 40 s. Wondering if it was normal.

My cooler is
be quiet! pure rock

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Skylent,

Depending upon how you ran OCCT, whether it was the latest or an earlier version, or whether it was with default or custom settings for either Linpack or CPU: OCCT, you may have applied an "overload" to your processor at about 115%. Test variables can contribute to, or potentially cause BSOD crashes, so it's important to understand the nature of the workload you're using for testing.

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Prime95 v29.8 Small FFT's (AVX disabled) is ideally suited for testing thermal performance, because it conforms to Intel's Datasheets as a steady 100% workload with steady Core temperatures. No other utility can so closely replicate Intel's thermal test workload.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload. Prime95 v29.8 Small FFT’s (AVX disabled) provides a steady 100% workload. If Core temperatures don't exceed 85°C, your CPU should run the most demanding real-world workloads without overheating.

As per Intel’s Datasheets, TDP and Thermal Specifications are validated “without AVX.

Download and run Prime95 v29.8. Run only Small FFT's" with all AVX test selections disabled.

• Prime95 v29.8 - https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Your Core temperatures should be significantly less than OCCT.

CT :sol:

Solution