OC'd pentium d805 hot as hell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What''s wrong?

• cpu

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • mb

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • psu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other(please specify)

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I just read one of the OP's posts that alarms me. :lol:

You said you sanded the heatsink smooth, but, it should already be smoother than hand sanding could accomplish. Perhaps you fukced your HS? :lol:

If not, the try running the damn thing at stock and tell us the temps.

wbirkin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
yeah, if you lapped your cpu, the heat spreader might not be leveled. that causes poor contact to the heatsink thus giving you bad temps.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
yeah, if you lapped your cpu, the heat spreader might not be leveled. that causes poor contact to the heatsink thus giving you bad temps.

WOW nice temps on your PD man... good job.

I wonder how a 4ghz PD performs compared to my 2.7ghz K8...

Mondoman

Splendid
...Because the 805 D is a steaming pile of 90nm Netburst sh!t in comparison to the chips Intel now makes.
This seems like a strange statement to make, given that the only other CPUs that Intel now makes that sell for $60 or less are single-core Pentiums and Celerons. :wink:

BE seems to have the OP's problem covered.

wbirkin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
WOW nice temps on your PD man... good job.

I wonder how a 4ghz PD performs compared to my 2.7ghz K8...

according to sandra benches

Processor Arithmetic
Dhrystone ALU : 17003 MIPS
Whetstone iSSE3 : 14031 MFLOPS

Processor Multimedia
Integer x8 iSSE2 : 43347 it/s
Float x4 iSSE2 : 49618 it/s

Multi-Core Efficiency
Inter-Core Bandwidth : 1560 MB/s
Inter-Core Latency : 161 ns

and for MrCommunistGen
i bought my pd 805 last week of december 2006, i chose this as im waiting for quads to go down price wise. im very proud of my decision and not wallowing in what ifs. and oh yeah, we basically have the same processor.

for Heyyou27, imHo i think you are afraid to be criticized for having such weak system. or are you at a internet cafe overcompensating by talking shit.

lok_zaza

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
i would like to thank for some of you, especially BaldEagle for the bunch of backtracking like troubleshooting.
Yes, i am aware netburst sucks, but the discussion was no need to degenerate into this direction. The problem was unbeleivably minor, and quite unexpected. I did find that most reviewers said that the Thermalright paste is quite generic, but i didn't expect it to be so low quality. Even with fresh new paste applied, it didn't work for me.
So, i grabbed the first silver paste i could find and voila! i now have 70 degrees C in full load @ 3,8 ghz which i find acceptable, that including the ultrahot geforce 8800gts. Not to mention that while idling the cpu has 28 degrees...

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
...Because the 805 D is a steaming pile of 90nm Netburst sh!t in comparison to the chips Intel now makes.
This seems like a strange statement to make, given that the only other CPUs that Intel now makes that sell for $60 or less are single-core Pentiums and Celerons. :wink:

I just bought an 805 on NewEgg for 59.99 with free shipping. Why? Because I have an Engineering sample 3.2 prescott in my sons computer and with the MB my choices are 90nm Smithfield processors.

I don't plan to OC it much if any because slow is slow no matter how fast you clock it. Anyway, it will be Dual Core and keep us warm in the winter.

Now go ahead and flame me for buying the processor and call me a noob and such. I do not fear a pack of nerds turning on me. :lol:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

I just bought an 805 on NewEgg for 59.99 with free shipping. Why? Because I have an Engineering sample 3.2 prescott in my sons computer and with the MB my choices are 90nm Smithfield processors.

I don't plan to OC it much if any because slow is slow no matter how fast you clock it. Anyway, it will be Dual Core and keep us warm in the winter.

Now go ahead and flame me for buying the processor and call me a noob and such. I do not fear a pack of nerds turning on me. :lol:If you already have the board and don't want to spend any more, it's an okay deal. However at $59.99 the Pentium D 805 is only $10 cheaper than the Athlon X2 3600+ which would walk all over that chip at stock or overclocked while using a lot less power.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
shhhh 8O If you tell them that and they stop buying new pc's based on the 805 we cant call them idiots anymore.

10 bux more and it clocks as high as 3.1ghz. MMMMMMMMMorrrrrrrrrrrrronnnnnnnnnnnns :p Some folks just have to think of the blue men when they game :roll:

Where did they OP say he wasn't upgrading an existing system? Where did the OP say he bought a new system? Where did the OP say that this processor was even bought and not given to him?

Why the hell are people giving the OP shit because he asked a question about a processor? Do people have to explain how and why they got the processor they have and hope for acceptance by the forum choosen ones?

Think people, you are geeks and supposed to be smart.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Now go ahead and flame me for buying the processor and call me a noob and such. I do not fear a pack of nerds turning on me. :lol:

That's fine for an upgrade. I wouldn't overclock it though. I had an ASUS board with a Via chipset die on my son's PC, so I bought a used Emachines 2.7 Celeron (Northwood) for the same price as a new motherboard. It works for a 6 year old. He won't notice the loss of the Radeon 9600 in Reader Rabbit because the PCI Radeon 9200 does fine.

I'll probably see if I can put the 2.4 Northwood P4 into the Emachines (I'll e-mail their dreck support first to see if it's a supported CPU), and then I can get a socket 939 3800+ CPU and board and reuse the DDR 333 and the Radeon 9600 Pro. I do admit, that when I built a new PC, I went for a barebones and AMD over a Fry's bundle and a Smithfield.

Now, Fry's has ECS mobos with Via chipsets supporting AGP and DDR bundled with a C2D, which would be an option to reuse the old RAM and graphics, but I'd be tempted to have that replace my second PC, the trusty old 2.8 Northwood with an i865PERL.

I do dislike Via chipsets though, compared to ATI, Nvidia or Intel. At any rate, I never felt that overclocking a hot processor was worth it. My X2 3800+ runs cool and I've thought of overclocking it, but it has stock cooling and it's not like much out there really needs an overclocked dual core.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Point taken. :eek:
The 805 was all the rage before AMD dropped the 3600 x2 so low.
Mostly because it was the only highly affordable dual core in a single core dominated world; at the time, the main way to benefit from it was multitasking and singlethreaded performance left much to be desired. Now that I am thinking about it; the 805 is actually the only dual core to be seriously challenged by a single core in multithreaded apps :lol:
449-481-188.png

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
point being what? New cpu's are just that,, NEW! Meaning advanced architexture, new design concept, ext. The P-D was top in it's time, just like the P-2 back in 97. Now it's the NEWLY advanced quad cores. The fact bieng that in comparison older cpu's are less productive than NEW cpu's is irrelevant. He has a heat problem, not a cpu problem.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
point being what? New cpu's are just that,, NEW! Meaning advanced architexture, new design concept, ext. The P-D was top in it's time, just like the P-2 back in 97. Now it's the NEWLY advanced quad cores. The fact bieng that in comparison older cpu's are less productive than NEW cpu's is irrelevant. He has a heat problem, not a cpu problem.
1-PentiumDs have never been the top of their time; the X2s wiped the floor with them from the beginning.
2-The FX-57 is is a contemporary, if not older CPU than the 805.
and, 3- The P2 was a total failure, often matched by K-6s and even K-5s and celerons while being priced 2x-3x higher.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I think the 805 was the top CPU in Price/Performance and Overclocking when it was released. Even if it wasn't I get his point. I have never seen somebody jumped for asking a question like this OP was, the forum must be going to hell or something.

I think that AMDs slow release of new tech. has a few people on edge, either that or we have been envaded by Ass-hats. :cry:

lok_zaza

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
In conclusion, what's the flaw in a decently designed system, with lots of aircooling and slick airflow, more-than-decent-cpucooler and well maintaned?
My full load temp has never gone below 69 degrees C, and this is illogical, given the following situation and respecting common sense practice.

And there is no shame in accepting that you do not know the answer; trolling and debating on reckless blabber is highly unecessary on this forum. Perhaps I wouldn't have been asking for help in this oh-so-estoeric matter if this wasn't one of the world's largest hardware forums; there are a significant number of people who do have this temps, but do not bother at all. I invested a fair amount of money to ensure this isn't the case, therefore the classy 'n00b!' approach lacks substance.

For those really wanting to question my decision, amd x2 3600+\3400+ hadn't appeared in my country on the time being, and the upcoming e6300 would've been way outside my pocket range, as i really needed a new pc. Furthermore, judging that most of the high cpu usage would be used in media, as far as i'm concerned, Intel seemed a better choice as it does have the performance edge there. I chose the compromise between efficiency and price, and i do not fully regret it. However, I did expect that mid-high end products would work well outside the box. For similar configurations, one ought to expect a mere max of 58 degrees in full load @3,6 ghz (in lab conditions=no case) for instance. Despite this, all my efforts have failed to lower the temperature of this rig, and the sensors are reading correct, providing that you didn't waste your time reading the 'invaluable' advice previously encountered.

If you feel you do have to add something significantly different to this thread please do, as any other help would be embraced, otherwise I suggest you would do some research before posting.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
i would like to thank for some of you, especially BaldEagle for the bunch of backtracking like troubleshooting.
Yes, i am aware netburst sucks, but the discussion was no need to degenerate into this direction. The problem was unbeleivably minor, and quite unexpected. I did find that most reviewers said that the Thermalright paste is quite generic, but i didn't expect it to be so low quality. Even with fresh new paste applied, it didn't work for me.
So, i grabbed the first silver paste i could find and voila! i now have 70 degrees C in full load @ 3,8 ghz which i find acceptable, that including the ultrahot geforce 8800gts. Not to mention that while idling the cpu has 28 degrees...

Glad to help.
Vern, has a point the longevity even at 70C might be a problem however, by the time you smoke your CPU you'll probably be ready to pitch it anyway. As you may have heard already the 805D is an outdated processor so have at it and run it until it won't keep up (I would expect 2 years) or until it croaks.

Ssoulrunner

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I have cpu and vga water cooling with a 10" automotive 12 volt fan on one side and a louvered case. may seem a little extensive, however my temps never exceed 51celcius on full load playing FEAR, and thats OC'ed to 3.6 24/7.on idle it hovers between 37c and 42c. I think if my temp monitors read anything above 65c I would have paicked and shut her down. After reading about some temps being 85c with cpu and vga water cooling, I just sat back and giggled to myself and said, "YEEAAH!" bieng heat concious pays off. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
i bought my pd 805 last week of december 2006, i chose this as im waiting for quads to go down price wise. im very proud of my decision and not wallowing in what ifs. and oh yeah, we basically have the same processor.
That is a VERY valid reason. I guess that I just assumed that since you were overclocking the hell out of the processor that you were intending to keep it. I know that I don't have any advice that hasn't already been stated in a better way than I could so I'll just wish you good luck.

-mcg

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
85*C 8O im suprised it was running. the sodder that holds the heatspreader to the cpu melts around 90*C and can be removed at that temp! thats only 5*C away from physically melting sodder!

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Thats right! Some say it melts around 85-90C.

So what happend maybe is that it overheated once (due to wrongly seated hs or fan failure or whatever), the solder melted, poured away and when it solidified again it didnt make contact between the core and the heatspreader.

You could try removing the heatspreader alltogether (e.g. with hot air gun) and installing the heatsink the old-fashioned way, on naked core (like in atholnXP and pIII)
Some links:
http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=3878
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles.php?type=3&id=46&page=1&desc=removing_your_heatspreader