May 25, 2007
i have the following config:
pentium d805 @3500mhz\175mhz fsb\ 1,4v
asus p5wd2 on 955x
geforce 8800gts
kingston mars 715mhz@cl3@2,2v
2 hdds, 1dvdrw
solytech 500w psu with 2x12v rails having 18A each, fittted with 2x8cm coolers
thermalright xp-120 cooler with performance antec fan(>2000rpm)
additional 8 cm and 9 cm case fans

my idle cpu temp @ 2000mhz (underclocked with Clockgen) is 54 degrees C reached in 15 mins after i start my pc. the case is neatly organised however, and there is no plausible explanation for this overheat. In full load overclocked my cpu is stable(3dmark 2006 &prime95) but it reaches an alarming 83 degrees C.

what could be the causes of this? i have a friend with a similar config, excepting 7600 gt and stock cooling, but @ 3,1 ghz still has this 80 degrees overheat in full load.
I purchased the pc late august 2007. Initially, it performed well. I reapplied thermal paste and cleaning operations, tried more fans with no success.

what could be the cause of this?
Initially i had a 7600gs instead of the current 8800gts(and the problem persisted), thus i do not really suspect the psu.
Any help would be appreciated as i found little arround this topic.

update1: after doing a couple of things the new full load temp is 71degrees C, still off the limits.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Didn't mention what kind of heat sink your using.

I would generally suspect the HSF for 775 socket is not installed correctly using the 4 pins. If they are not locked down, and if you don't see the 4 pins on the back side of the MB, the HSF will not have good contact with the top of the CPU.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
1) the heatsink is not installed correctly
2) CPU sensor is messing up

because even with the stock HSF , it should not be idling at 54°, check yuor instalation again.

also i notice the voltage is a little bit high, i have the same cpu with a gygabite p965 ds4 and the voltage is ONLY 1.35v even if i overclock it to 3.6ghz, now may be i'm luck with my cpu reaching this high clock without touching the voltage but i bet that your cpu can do at least 3.00 ghz with just 1.35v.

a change in the voltage will decrease considerably the temperature, let me know if you done something about that.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Its a crap version, even by Pentium D standards. They are hot at stock speeds, and any overclock will pump out even more heat.

that is definitly not true, mine temperature with a zalman 9500 in a somehwat hot room, doesn't exceed 58°C in FULL LOAD using prime for exemple, in normal load situations it's around 51° , and that is overclcocked at 3.6ghz.

idle temp right now is between 37 -41° up and down.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Its a crap version, even by Pentium D standards. They are hot at stock speeds, and any overclock will pump out even more heat.

that is definitly not true, mine temperature with a zalman 9500 in a somehwat hot room, doesn't exceed 58°C in FULL LOAD using prime for exemple, in normal load situations it's around 51° , and that is overclcocked at 3.6ghz.

idle temp right now is between 37 -41° up and down.

And to me, that seems pretty hot, considering my x2 3800 at stock was high 20's low 30's at idle, stock, with the zalman. Idle at 2.7 was 33, and at load it was 43-45 max.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
the OP said that in load he reach 85° which is definitly crazy. you answered him that d805 are hot anyway (implying that his temps are common with those cpu's) and making it as fact.

i also said that my room is somewhat hot, that is 30C.

i remember in winter it was idling at 26-27 , load 32. but it was damn cold.

anyway, the point is, his temps are way way hot than what it should be and it doesn't have anything to do with D805 series. as i suggested , try to lower the voltage cpu to 1.35V , mine works perefctly with this value (3.6hz)

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
the OP said that in load he reach 85° which is definitly crazy. you answered him that d805 are hot anyway (implying that his temps are common with those cpu's) and making it as fact.

anyway, the point is, his temps are way way hot than what it should be and it doesn't have anything to do with D805 series. as i suggested , try to lower the voltage cpu to 1.35V , mine works perefctly with this value (3.6hz)

Fair enough. He probably doesn't have enough fans and like you said, didn't seat the heatsink properly.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Check out if the cooler is mounted properly. Also be sure that there is thermal grease properly applied to the CPU. If everything is OK, than it might be the mainboard reading false temperatures. 83'C is too hot even for Pentium D.

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

I have a friend with a Pentium D 805 at 3.7ghz cooled with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. His CPU idles at 40ish and loads around 55.

I would try to redo the HSF with some fresh new paste.

When the CPU is at 80 feel the base of the HSF. Sensors and programs are ofter wrong.... 80 degrees should be pretty warm, thats what my old X800GT loads at

You have a hot type of processor, and a high powered vga card, exascerbated by overclocking. I am not surprised. Above 75(?) degrees, the cpu should throtttle itself to protect itself, negating the value of overclocking. What can you do?
See if the internal case temperatures are ok; I suspect they are high. Measure them with a multimeter probe if you can, along with the ambient room temperature. See what happens if you run with the side panel off, and a house fan directed at the internals of the case. If temperatures come down to normal, then you need to work on case ventilation. If they do not, then it is likely that your cooler is not seated properly, or is defective.

lok_zaza

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
unfortunately some of you missed the point.
i invested quite a lot in case\cpu cooling and i am not using stock cooling. furthermore, i think i do know how to properly mount a heatsink (even fined the surface with thin sandpaper), that being the reason why i doublechecked the thermal conductivity and reapplying paste and cleaning of the dust.
Therefore i have a dust-free ventilated system that overheats (fortunately not to the point of instability, but i cannot oc it @ 3,8 ghz anymore as i could initially).
Even so, bad heatsink mounting does not explain why my friend has the same problem with stock cooler @ 3,1 ghz (which you have to be inherently stupid to missmount), while originally he could easily overclock his pc @ 3,2 ghz with full load temperature of 71 degrees, which is acceptable for stock cooling and for this kind of processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/page25.html

as a side note, the mb sensor is not wrong as i measured case temperature near cpu and i got a fair measure of 56 degrees. go figure.
at 3,6 ghz thermal monitor throttles, but not at 3,5.
cpu is unstable if i decrease voltage

wbirkin

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
overclocking pentium d's are generally hot imo. i tried to use mine with a aerocool heatsink, overclocked at 3.6 1.575v, idles at around 50s, by the time it reaches above 70c i panic.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
When I read the subject I immediately thought to myself "DUH!"
Exactly what I was thinking.

@OP: Do as other people have suggested and try lowering your core voltage. Also as other people have suggested try feeling the heat sink or at least try putting your hand near it to see if it feels like its crazy hot so that you can rule out a bad temperature sensor. It doesn't accomplish anything if you ask for help and then don't do what people suggest.

-mcg

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
We really needed a thread for sombody that thought their Heatburst chip was too hot when they overclocked it. DUH, thats why it was called Heatburst instead of Netburst.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
I purchased the pc late august 2007.
Of COURSE!! You're in an alternate timeline from the future where Intel is still making lousy products! :roll: If I assume you meant 2006 I don't understand why you went with such an antiquated (and as you have discovered) hot-running CPU. Instead you could have spent a bit more on a more modern (but still overclockable) CPU that would run much cooler. meh

-mcg

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Of COURSE!! You're in an alternate timeline from the future where Intel is still making lousy products! :roll: If I assume you meant 2006 I don't understand why you went with such an antiquated (and as you have discovered) hot-running CPU. Instead you could have spent a bit more on a more modern (but still overclockable) CPU that would run much cooler. meh

-mcgWhy are all you knobs just giving the guy grief over which CPU he bought? Just answer the question, if you don't know the answer....move on. Jeezus!! It may be a Smithfield, but it still shouldn't be hitting 85C with an XP-120 on it. :x :x

lok_zaza

Distinguished
May 25, 2007
lowering voltage has no effect (decreasing two degrees in idele, but still too hot). while operating, i can barely insert my hand in the case, not even touch the heatsink.
besides,it is properly attached (just dismounted it, placed thermal paste and put it back for the second time this day) as there is only one way to place this monster http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7945/mounted10is.jpg, and it implies a lot of brute force if you ask me. (thermalright xp 120, if you haven't read above, also with the socketT adapter which can't be clearly seen in the picture)

so, my base question still remain unanswered: what could cause an increase in cpu heating over a 6months period?.
to cover up: thermal sensors are not defective (my dm doesn't have a thermal probe, but i can assure you you can't put your hand in the case while under full load)
the heatsink is securely fastened, contact surface neatly polished with fine sandpaper (1200) and properly greased with thermal paste
casually cleaning the dust from the pc case
the system has an above-aveage air-flow

and please, i would like too see more original responses as the obvious "netburst sucks\poor cooling" is not an option.

Pardon so if it is my fault, but i have just tested the stock cooler at standard parameters(impling stock fsb and voltages), and in idle i have a temperature of 59 degrees and on full load(prime95 with affinities) i get a crash.
I am thinking i might as well throw this piece of junk to the trashcan. Why hasn't this overclock lasted for even half an year, and not only in my case, puzzles me.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Check your heatsink and ventilation, then ALWAYS confirm your temp readings by touching the heatsink fins with your hand (load your CPU with 2 sessions of Prime and when the temp. tops out, turn it off and touch the heatsink); 80°C is something pretty unbearable to the touch.

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
i was thinking about the voltage , but then you said it only decreased 2 degrees. i still don't understand what do you mean by "i can't get my hand in the case" why??? it sounds weird.

i thought may be the HSF is deffective but then you tried the orginial heat sink and it's worse.

i don't think the problem is PSU otherwise it would make many poroblems not only ofr the CPu, the motherboard and the cpu itself might be the problem.

but really why would a cpu jump so high in temp by itself?

may be the motherboard makes it to heat a lot ??

man i'm out of clue, if i were you it'll drive me crazy. and i certainly hope it's not because of overclocking as mine is at 3.5ghz right now and i don't it to become like yours. please let us know in that matter.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
so, my base question still remain unanswered: what could cause an increase in cpu heating over a 6months period?.

Your over heating is a result of either:
Insufficient Heat Removal or Excessive Heat Generation

Insufficient Heat Removal
Case ventilation
Heatsink seating
Heatpipe failure
Fan failure

Excessive Heat Generation
Clock speed changed?
Memory added?
GPU replaced?
Additional Drives?
Internal Lights?
Capacitor degradation?

Since you said you can't hold your hand inside the case and the pain limit for contact with hot surfaces is around 140F (60C) it would appear the internal ambient temperature is the problem as a 25C rise for an overclocked CPU under load isn't that big of a deal so our CPU heat generation and extraction appears to be ok we can drop the following.
Heatsink seating
Heatpipe failure
Fan failure
Clock speed changed
Capacitor degradation

As a check put a meat thermomoeter into your case and get a couple temp readings at various places to get an idea of what the internal temp actually is at load If you are actually down around 100F then you can't drop the possible CPU issues.

What is left is easy stuff additional parts or case ventilation as likely cause.

I assume you'd know what you added so lets focus on the I didn't do anything except take it apart put it back together and put it back on the desk. Ok so did you put it back exactly in the same place and which direction was that fan before?

Test your case ventilation I expect you have lots of air but it isn't going to the right places. Start by looking at the seams of the case you should have a slight negative pressure with all the fans operating this can best be found with a thin plasic film like Saran Wrap. Check each fan to assure it has proper airflow direction top, and back out front, bottom, and/or side in.

Many of the GPU's rob cool air from the bottom of the case before it can reach the cpu area and expel the air resulting in additional negative pressure which reduces the fan efficiency of all the exhaust case fans.

Measure the room ambient, exhaust air pressure of each fan, and the inlet temperature of each inlet fan this will identify if you are recirculating exhaust air back into the machine.

Edit: Sorry can't resist, Netburst really did suck :p

abasoufiane

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
can overclocking cus the cpu to fail AND generate this excessive heat? me i don't think so...

as for not being able to put your hand in the case or you can berely put it , do you have a case or an oven?? i don't think that the cpu will release this excessive heat (what could ?? ) , as the above poster suggest, check your airflow, that ambient case room sound awfuly hot... i really wanna know the answer of what causing this problem.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

-mcgWhy are all you knobs just giving the guy grief over which CPU he bought? Just answer the question, if you don't know the answer....move on. Jeezus!! It may be a Smithfield, but it still shouldn't be hitting 85C with an XP-120 on it. :x :xBecause the 805 D is a steaming pile of 90nm Netburst sh!t in comparison to the chips Intel now makes.