[SOLVED] OC'd Ryzen 1200 vs. stock i3-9100F

Aug 13, 2020
Hello all,

I would like to kindly ask you for help with the choice of CPU for my build. I'm building a budget PC and I have already ordered the Ryzen 1200 (the newer 12nm revision), as I thought of it as a good-enough budget CPU. The other specs of the machine are:
mobo: ASROCK B450M PRO4-F
storage: Kingston A2000 NVMe
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz
GPU: 2nd hand RX580 8GB

The primary purpose of the machine will not be gaming (there's maybe 1 upcoming game I'm considering playing, other than that I will probably not game at all...), the most HW stressing use case will be photo editing in Darktable - I'm planning to use it with OpenCL, so most of the heavy lifting will be done by the GPU. There will be few more use cases which will be quite RAM hungry and I don't want to wear the NVMe quickly due to frequent swapping, hence the RAM size choice.
I would like to keep the PC for 5-10 years with possibly small updates along the road.

Now, to the topic of CPU choice:
Where I live, the Ryzen can be had for 60 Eur. After ordering I found out that I could have the i3-9100F for 77 eur, so not that much more. With default clocks it's obvious to me that the i3 will give me better performance, but I would like to know the bigger picture (the whole ecosystem, the impact on mobo choice and prices etc...) and think about the i3 when compared to the Ryzen OC'd to, say, 3.7GHz. Could someone correct/extend my expectations as listed below?

Ryzen: cheaper, larger caches, possibly benefiting more from faster RAM (?), better upgrade options with the same mobo (since AMD announced it will use AM4 socket on the Zen3 architectures as well), shorter lifespan due to OC?
Intel: higher base clocks (but locked), better IPC (so better performance if they would tick on the same clock frequencies?), worse upgrade choices (as the 1151 Coffee Lake is already obsolete/not supported?)

Am I missing something important? Is it worth it to return the Ryzen and and go for the i3? Will there be any noticeable difference, considering I would be successful with the Ryzen overclocking?

Thank you in advance for your replies
Jindra

Solution
For Ryzen, the faster you can get the ram's to run on the board, the faster it makes the entire platform(as it goes with the Infinity Fabric for the processor). The i3 will be limited with a frequency set to it's IMC, which is DDR-2400MHz. If you do want to overclock the rams, with the i3, you're going to need to invest in a Z series motherbaord which drives your cost up. Also, your mileage can and will vary since the IMC might not like going to higher clocks for the ram.

IMHO, you're good as is.

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
For Ryzen, the faster you can get the ram's to run on the board, the faster it makes the entire platform(as it goes with the Infinity Fabric for the processor). The i3 will be limited with a frequency set to it's IMC, which is DDR-2400MHz. If you do want to overclock the rams, with the i3, you're going to need to invest in a Z series motherbaord which drives your cost up. Also, your mileage can and will vary since the IMC might not like going to higher clocks for the ram.

IMHO, you're good as is.

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU.

Solution
Aug 13, 2020
Thank you for the reply, I'm glad to read that it's good as is.
The PSU I have ordered is Gigabyte P650B. I was considering also supplies from more known PSU manufacturers in the same price range (EVGA 600 BR, Seasonic S12III-650) but I have seen quite a lot of bad reviews on those, mostly claiming that these are just cheap junks with good names on them. The Gigabyte on the other hand is the most frequently sold PSU on one of the largest e-shops in my country and has no negative (meaning DOA or "burned my rig") reviews there, so I thought I'll give it a try.