OC'd X800XTPE beats 2 GF6800Us in SLI

Well the battles have started, the InQ has this article about RIDICULOUS OC'ing of the X800XTPE.

How about a Core speed equivalent to the model Number!! :eek:

Also multiply that number by 10 and add a little bit and you have the new top Bungholio marks for 3Dmk05! :cool:

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18801" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18801</A>

Anywhoo, expect a reply from nV. Now it'll be interesting to see if Overclocking an SLI setup is as easy as a single solution, and what limitations it may bring with 2 sets of cores/memory.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
just read that. awesome ! but now we gotta wait for someone to overclock the 6800s in SLI and non-SLI to see how high they go.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b>

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
benchmarketing! :D

f'ing insane anyways, those systems must be nearly priceless in Europe :p But it's nice to see how far they go

(the standard price for a 6800GT in the EU is (550USD/590USD - web/street)

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

Well don't hold your breath on the non-SLI solution, only the SLI has a chance IMO.

These are the same guys who hold <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3111760" target="_new">the record for 3Dmk03</A> as well, and not a GF6800 in sight despite all the time in the world to OC '03.

<A HREF="http://www.futuremark.com/community/halloffame/" target="_new">3Dmk03 Hall of 'Fame'</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
yeah these guys are popular. u must have read recently they pumped their prescott processor to 6GHz

<A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42655&page=1&pp=25" target="_new">http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42655&page=1&pp=25</A>

Well 1 thing is for sure, ATI has a better processor core maybe. Like if they adopt INTELs strategy of more clock speed, they can outperform Nvidia. Beating 2 cards in parallel is not a joke. Now make ATI might be on the right road - let nvidia make SLI and we ll beat it with 1 card.

<i> :tongue: <font color=blue>I don't suffer from insanity.</font color=blue><font color=red> I enjoy every minute of it.</font color=red> :tongue: </i>
<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 10/01/04 03:38 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
1st phase of marketing and world war
<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4787.html" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4787.html</A>

we gotta wait until tomorrow or dayafter for nvidia to comment on the 82xx score

BTW this is their website
<A HREF="http://www.akiba-pc.com/news.php" target="_new">http://www.akiba-pc.com/news.php</A>

<b>He who laughs last thinks slowest!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by priyajeet on 10/01/04 03:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
holy [-peep-] 806MHz! for the core.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=682299587" target="_new">40k in aquamark 3
</A>
P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@420/740||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Panisonic DVD-RW

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Perhaps if they were able to run the entire test would it be more valid, the game tests dont make the entire score up.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

cleeve

Illustrious
Actually Xeon, 3dMark scores are always only based on the game tests. The other tests are just for... well, testing purposes.

For me, the most interesting thing we have seen out of all of this is that we FINALLY get an idea of what SLI can do... about a 25% performance gain (guesstimate based on the stock 6800 scores I've seen).

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
This is so unrealistic its ludicrous, the guy used a Cascade Compressor system, which needless to say no one has, so any benchmarking done with that setup is bullshit because no one can duplicate it without spending a retarded amount of money for the cooling setup which no one is going to do, so NEXT...

EDIT:
btw just so you know grape i am not bashing you for this post, im bashing the guys who super cooled this graphics card in the first place.
I dont know how you EVER took this first post personally, but o well, thats your problem.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by XeenRecoil on 10/05/04 02:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
:tongue:
who says ludacris is unrealistic. I like his songs that are very much real.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
This is so unrealistic its ludicrous, the guy used a Cascade Compressor system, which needless to say no one has, so any benchmarking done with that setup is bullshit because no one can duplicate it without spending a retarded amount of money for the cooling setup which no one is going to do, so NEXT...
Personally, I think the SLI vs. Insane overclock is funny.

Why is it funny? While the multi-stage compressor is expensive and takes a lot of work, it is MORE available than SLI right now. We do not have any PCIe boards with 2x PCIe 16x (less Tumwater) and no SLI bridge chip. I think ATi's response to nVidia's SLI is great! At least people can, if they so wished, setup an insane cooling solution. That is more than can be said about SLI as of today. Tomorrow may be another story, but we are talking today ;)

So the only ludicrous thing I see is nVidia putting out a 3DMark05 score that no one can duplicate--that is what I call "bullshit". Can ATi release benchmarks for R520 or R500 because they will be out "soon" also? At least the overclocking solution is possible. And the insane cost is not an issue wither, because a PCIe motherboard plus 2 6800Ultras (and possibly CPU/RAM) is very expensive also. You are looking at what, $500-$600 for the Ultra PCIe?? You cannot even get the bridge chip, even if you had a Xeon with proper dual PCIe motherboard.

So I see ATi's response a very well placed tounge in cheek response :)

And the ~44% jump in 3DMark05 is sort of disappointing (less dissapointing though than the 25% I quotes...). I remember the Voodoo2 only really helped in fillrate restricted games (but would literally double in these cases), I am curious what the new SLI bottlenecks are.

Anyhow, I am not holding out for SLI in this generation. I would rather upgrade to a new board with WFG 1.0/2.0 features (DX10, whatever it is) than increase my DX9 speeds. Just my opinion and personal taste :) Doesn't really matter because most people have purchased AGP boards and it will be a bit of time before PCIe is in full swing.

Ps- I currently am running a 6800GT.

Pss- Corrected the 25% quote, changed to 44%.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Acert93 on 10/02/04 01:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
well, exactly: "our best card kicks TWO of your best cards off the scale, at once!" what other point to you expect them to make? :D

(retorical question)

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/850 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

randalldaigle

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2004
Agreed!! That's just a crazy, crazy OC. Pitting 2 cards against one makes them look pretty sad anyway. It's like watching 2 bullies trying to take some guy's lunch money and they get the crap kicked out of them by him in return. That was the best responce ATI could've given.

Athlon 64-fx 53, socket 939
K8N Neo 2 Platinum
Sapphire X800XT 256 meg
1 Gig OCZ PC 3200 Dual DDR Platinum Rev 2
73354 in aquamark
Trying to figure out what it all does.

cleeve

Illustrious
Good points Acer, and an entertaining perspective.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
aye

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
mopey;
just what do you think would happen if they put that same cooling system on a 6800Ultra, the same exact thing, so come off the fanATIc crap, oh and btw i own two (yes thats right) two R9800 pros so im not ATI bashing heh

Tbog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
don't know what u think about prices in Europe but i live in Romania (not exactly the best prices out there) but i got my Leadtek 6800gt for 430$ ... not very cheap but it's not 600 $ either ... plus ... Prices in France,Germany and other such countrys are lower...

RichPLS

Champion
Is it the Ultra version, this one costs more.

========================
Try everything...
Do not be afraid of failure, for this is how we learn and grow...
Live life to the fullest...
Do not regret what you have not yet done!!!

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
It's already been done...the best somebody could get was 7130. This was with an insane A64 and the 6800U @ 603/1338...check it out on ORB yourself. BTW, this same card has the record in '03 (if you don't care about drivers, if you do, X800XTpe wins again).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

You premise is flawed, your arguments are tired, and your conclusion is pedestrian.

First NO ONE has SLI either, yet people chirp about it night an day, I'm posting this once, because it realtes to what many people here were talking about when the SLI figures were released earlier in the week. Surprisingly din't hear a peep out of you then about how practical it was.

Second there are MANY similar setups out there for THIS type of activity, benchmarking. This is not gaming this is raw monster electron pushing. These rigs don't look like the type of thing you setup and leave running Shareaza while you go off to work, they're dedicated machines. It's simply there for the "let's see what we can do with this or fry it trying" aspect of it all. And as it definitely involves graphics cards it's worthy of discussion.

Third, What kind of retarded money is involved in 2 GF6800Us on a Server MOBO with 2 expensive PROCs?

However that one card consistently is at the top of the heap shows it's strength in that one area, and the fact that the OCs are so insane show the potential for much headroom overclocking. No one expects to get these results with regular water cooling, but it does indicate that a good H2O system with a peltier may give you more headroom than people expected somewhere reasonably south of 800mhz, but well bove stock speeds.

Now as to your saying it's unrealistic, it reminds me of the character from princess bridge who keep saying 'inconceivable' without really understanding what it means.

That you don't understand what the rest fo us are talking about doesn't make it unrealistic, bullshit or retarded, it simply means that you should move on to something else and leave the mature discussion to the rest of us. So STFU!

No Soup For You!

Suivant, Next!

just what do you think would happen if they put that same cooling system on a 6800Ultra,
That's actually called 15th place in the hall of fame.

Did you think only ATI users know how to Overclock? Obviously you forget the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=403766#403766" target="_new">thread about 100k in Aquamark</A>, or perhaps you weren't here then.

That you accuse people here of being FanATIcs, especially in your limited scope/experience of this forum, and the world at large it seem, really says alot more about your insecurities.

Just curious, did an overclocked alcohol+CO cooled graphics card kill your father or something? At least that would explain your anger and confusion in a way that would be understandable to the rest of us here.

oh and btw i own two (yes thats right) two R9800 pros so im not ATI bashing heh
I don't care if you own 3 bananas running in parallel. You are bashing people using the term fanATIc. So, either you're an nVidiot who realized the FXs sucked and you had no other alternative but have no money for new cards or your an XGI fan but had to return your DUO cause it sucked, but miss that dual VPU feeling; OR (more likely) your just a simpleton who's prone to unexpected rash emotional outbursts.

Either way you look like a fvckin' idiot.

priyajeet

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Hey, i was wondering, if you put two of those OCed X800s into a Aleinware ALX video array mobo (currently implementing 2, but might extend to 4 cards) what will that get ? 3dmark 06 ? :lol:

XtremeMaC

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2004
i'm not commenting in this setup that i won't be able to afford
but i just liked the term nVidiot (not flaming ati nor nvidia)

I sincerely respect knowledge! esp TheGreatGrapeApe's (I see his name everwhere :D)
what'd we do without u :p
well can someone checkout my post @ <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=415124#415124" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=415124#415124</A>
i'm very excited about getting a $200+ card so i need to be carefull thanks :)