orcutt989

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hello everyone, first I will precede this thread with my core set-up.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
CPU: Socket AM3 AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz
RAM: Kingston DDR3 1333 4GB (2X2GB)
PSU: 500W Antec EarthWatts'
CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Case: Antec 900

Now I saw today that the motherboard came shipped with the first version of the bios, so I have updated it to the latest (F3L).

When I first got these parts I managed to push the FSB to 250Mhz while lowering the memory multiplier. Now I am not able to touch the FSB. If I didn't have the dual bios I fear I would already be screwed. What could I be doing wrong? I've re-read all the OCing guides I can but none of them are in-depth enough or new enough to help my curiousity. Does anyone else have this CPU and what do you have it OC'ed to? I thought with that rifle cooler I'd be able to push it a little further.

Another thing, when it was overclocked, I stress tested it with OCCT. The heat sink would barely even get warm before the computer would just restart on me at 250Mhz FSB. (Just after a few minutes even though I was able to play Medieval Total War II for hours at a time with no problems?)

Anyone know what the hell is going on?

orcutt989

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Actually I manged to OC it to about 3.38Ghz right now. I don't know what else I can do to crank it up. The CPU is idling at about 23C which makes me think that I can push it more. Ive got the FSB at about 261 I think and any higher and windows won't boot. Does that sound like it makes sense?

well, its hard to say with me, i have ddr2-800, so i don't have a lot of headroom, but, i have it running with 250 Base Clock right now (actually running stability test as i type) so im only at 3.25GHz, ill try to get to 261 base clock

btw, im still at stock voltage, what about u

mine is idling around 32, im using an old stock cooler from my 6000+, rated for a 125w processor

orcutt989

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
See the problem is though if I run a stability test, windows blue screens after about a minute of 100% load, but I am able to do everything else with no trouble (games, photo editing, etc.)

well, i was able to get 250x13 stable (3.25 GHz), over that, blue screen/restart

but like i said, im using ddr2-800, so i was running it at ddr2-870

but you could try raising you north bridge voltage if you havent

orcutt989

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
So you aren't able to get it higher than 250? Hmm. When I tried touching my voltages, if I can remember, the computer won't boot. I dont know, I'll try it.

well, i imagine you are pushing that ram pretty far, u might want to loosen the timings so that you can get more speed

and pretty much with anything, if you can't go any higher, try raising the voltage, just don't go too high

orcutt989

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I am an overclocking virgin so I don't know what that means. Does that mean make the timings slower (greater) than what the memory is rated for?

Naveronasis

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
LOL i have the EXACT same motherboard and EXACT same Processor... your post saved me a post... so i guess since i cant plug in a better multi than 13 ill try 250 buss like the rest of you ^^;

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
That proc isn't meant for OCing. If you want to OC an AMD, get BE. Here's how I interpret it: since BE's are just a bit more than the regulars, mobo manufacturers don't bother making mobo's that can run high fsb's like the intel ones, that have extremes costing up to 1k. You should have gotten a BE if you wanted to OC... but I understand, you don't need that much cache since the memo controller is onboard, so you don't want to fork out that much more for a 955, since the 940 isn't 'officially am3'. Same situation I'm in.

I had a 710 two months ago with an M4A78 PRO, sold it because I realized I should have gotten a BE. The fsb would only go up if I upped the NB voltage. Mobo manufacturers should really tell us what their mobo's fsb are able to run at. I know some like XFX does this, I've seen one of their LGA775's rated for 1900mhz quad pumped.