OCing a Ram stick that doesn't have a Heatsink

redomicmc

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017
So, I just made a new Computer for 400$~. I cheaped out on the Ram and bought a 2400MHz Crucial Ram stuck that doesn't have a Heatsink. How far can I take the Overclocking and would I have any issues OCing in the first place?

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 2400g
Gigabyte A320M-HD2
Crucial 2400MHz 1x 8GB stick

Solution
Believe it or not, most memory on the market does NOT need a heatsink, it's all for show and aesthetics.

If you stay at the stock voltage, I bet you could get into the 2666-2933mhz range (if you also loosen your timings).

However, your on the ultra cheap A320 chipset, which doesn't allow CPU overclocking and I don't think it allows you to do much with the memory.

FYI, having two sticks over one stick of RAM will make a BIG difference in your gaming performance.....
Believe it or not, most memory on the market does NOT need a heatsink, it's all for show and aesthetics.

If you stay at the stock voltage, I bet you could get into the 2666-2933mhz range (if you also loosen your timings).

However, your on the ultra cheap A320 chipset, which doesn't allow CPU overclocking and I don't think it allows you to do much with the memory.

FYI, having two sticks over one stick of RAM will make a BIG difference in your gaming performance.....

Solution

redomicmc

Reputable
Aug 20, 2017

Hmm, can I clock to 2666MHz on the A320M? How about increasing the Voltage a bit and trying for something higher than 2933MHz or Just going for 2933MHz on stock?

2x4GB ram sticks cost like 100$, I got my single 8GB ram stick for 60$. On a very tight budget, Will have to make do with what I got now

I am very new to the whole OC thing. this is my first ever actual PC, Only had Laptops before this