Ocing hlp plz :D soz for typing tried 2 improve it was in hurry

knifeking

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
ok here goes i have a intel core2 quad q8400 cpu with 4 gb ddr2 800 kingston ram gtx 260 and a msi G31M3(MS-7529) motherboard. Now my problem is i want to oc my cpu from 2.66 to either 2.8 or 3.0 ghz depending on the temp.Everytime i oc my cpu from 2.66 to lets say 2.75 by increasing fsb my ram automatically gets increased with it, there is no options to lock the ram at 800 i dont want to increase it because i dont know how dangerous ocing ram is.So what i do is set ram to 1:1 range wich makes it run at 667 speed wich is alot slower.And the lastly i cant oc my cpu past 2.75 then pc just doesnt start until after 5 mins it defaults back to stock settings heat is not an issue i have a coolermaster haf 932 and a aftermarket cpu cooler plz help im a noob :pfff:

Yes. Increasing the FSB will increase the frequency of the RAM.

Overclocking RAM is not dangerous. But it's also not especially effective. Leave your RAM at a 1:1 ratio. As you increase your FSB, your RAM speed will also increase. If you can get your FSB up to 367 MHz, your RAM clock will be 733 MHz.

Your limiting factor is probably your motherboard and the FSB of the P31. The P31/P41 chips are economy chips that generally have a limited overclock ability.

And last, your keyboard has a [ . ] key. It's used to separate what you wrote into sentences. This improves readability. I had to read this three times to figure out what you were asking. About 30 other people saw your post and decided not to take the trouble.

knifeking

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
sorry,i was in a rush.so what you are saying is its better to just buy a new motherboard so i wont be able to oc past the 2.7 at all on this motherboard?if that is so what motherboard whould you recommend im on a tight budget because i am buying a new rig next month. why does it have the option of increasing the fsb further then?