OCing OLD computer [Need to know what's his parts name]

powerfuel

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Hi,
He has 2 years and needs some power. I want to know if he's overclockable and for that I need (to know how to OC first, of course) to know what's is his build. I don't have any experience in OC'ing and I want to try first on an old computer - I'm sorry if I act as an idiot, take it has inexperience, not personnal :D .
Whatever, if you have any program or ? command to get these information, you're welcome =)

tsiberious

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
If I understood that block of words correctly, you want to know how to tell which parts you have in your system?
First off I would say open the case and take a peek inside, but there are other options. Download CPU-Z:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
It will give you which motherboard, cpu and ram you are running.

If this is an old system you bought from a major company (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc...) you will probably not be able to tweak bios settings to overclock and will have to go with a software overclock (not the best way to do it).

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
how about just open up the computer and read the motherboard to find the brand and model number? lol.. it'll at least have the brand on the motherboard..

then cpuz it.. find the northbridge chipset and it'll make ur life a lot easier..