OCing Penitum 4 with ASUS P4S800

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Hi I have a Penitum 4 socket 478 at 200x15=3000mhz, and I have it at 217x15=3255mhz as I type this. My memory runs stock at 400mhz, and I'm using a 6:5 divider. My question is, how can I limit my pci and agp frequencies? BIOS does not show me the pci frequency, and it just beeps at me when I press ctrl+f1 or alt+f1. Does anyone else have this mobo and know what frequencies I should lock, or are there no frequencies to lock? I can't even find spread spectrum option in this BIOS. I only have one Radeon 9250 in my agp x8 slot, all pci slots are empty, so would it make a difference if I locked pci frequency? Does a high pci frequency damage my mobo if there is nothing in the pci slots?

P4 3.0ghz 15x200 family F, model 3, stepping 4, revision D0, fsb 800mhz, aiming for 220x16 :D
No name memory 400mhz (200mhz in cpu-z) 2.5-4-4-8 DDR 2.5V
ASUS P4S800 (no more support from ASUS)
AwardBios 1009 06/08/2004

I also get gigantic vdroops during OCCT, and all my psu rails drop too. Then again, my BIOS tells me that my vcore is like 0.2V over the setting I have in BIOS. I'm also idling at like 50*C right now from BIOS readings, is this temperature alright? I didn't try full load yet, stopped when OCCT told me I was at 60*C. (Anyone have spare 478 hsf? :na: )

Please don't post about how lame it is to OC a P4, I just need some OCing experience before I go out to buy an e74. Thanks for any help :)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It's been an aweful long time since these old boards. But as my parents run on a P4c800 I've had my fingers in one recently. Far's I remember the p4s800 is inferior in overclocking for some reason. I don't remember why though. But my parents northwood would do 3,2ghz on air (scythe andy) on that board. Are you sure your board can even lock the agp and pci multipliers?

As for temps on a prescott - 60C is no biggie at all. A relative of mine has her 3,2ghz prescott reaching up to 85C under load, and since the system was new, only the psu has been replaced. She's using a scythe ninja cpu cooler though. What'r you using?

ps. it's easier to oc a 'modern' core 2 system. You can meddle with a lot more stuff, but generally you don't have to in order to be successful.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Ahh I'm using the stock cooler :pt1cable: I can't find anymore good socket 478 hsf's at a good price that won't cost $20 to ship.

The confusing part is the that the BIOS gives me a different reading than I get in OCCT... yes I've kinda noticed the p4s800 stinks at OC for my cpu, since my cpu is already 800mhz, maxing the mobo's frequency. And no, my mobo cannot lock ANY frequencies, I don't even see spread spectrum option... I've heard of people saying that hitting ctrl and f1 pops up an advanced menu or something... or was it alt f1? Or something else?

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
edit: this was a double post sry, I'll try to make it sound as genuine as possible to cover up my school's crappy proxy that screwed up the connection :)

Yea Core 2's are easier to OC because of the mobo's that support OCing and high fsb's... but socket 775 is probably going to get replaced in a few months or a year, so I've changed my mind to skipping it altogether. Which is why I have to make my current set up last a year until Sandy Bridge comes out :)

And I didn't choose this mobo, my dad had a system builder choose this stuff in 2004 when I was in Grade 5, and didn't know anything about computers... so I didn't build it myself.

And about that Northwood @ 3.2g... what was the fsb/multi? I'm just concerned because my fsb is stock @ 200mhz (quad pump to 800mhz), which is the maximium rated for my mobo, and the SB and the HS on the NB is already so hot that they burn my skin. Same goes for the HS on my Radeon 9250 :na: so I'm just worried if I go any further, I may fry my mobo... I'm aiming for 240mhz fsb, to make 240x15=3.6ghz :)