OC'ing Q9450 PK5-E

tomski1981

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
first off, i'm sorry if this has been asked before, and if it has, please point me to the right topic. however, i searched for: 'q9450 pk5 e' and no matches were found.

I have a Q9450 on Asus Pk5-E with KINGSTON HYPERX (NVIDIA SLI-READY) DDR2-1066.

first off, MemSet says the RAM Mhz are at 400, but someone said that's because the voltage is low and i need to OC it. so, how do i go about it?

i would like to OC the processor and get the RAM up to 1066 (which is the highest the Mobo can handle). however, i'm new at this.. i tried following some advice from various sites, however, i'm not finding my way around the BIOS and don't see the options to OC anywhere (ie, increasing FSB or voltages). i heard this site is good and people know what they're talking about.

Anyone have some advice?

thank you

TOm

Dopekitten

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Also, you arn't going to be able to get your ram running at 1066mhz, as that would require 533 FSB, which the Q9450 can't do, at least with 8x multi.

tomski1981

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
oops. i went into bios and changed the frequency, now CPU-Z and Memset are saying my DRAM Freq. is 533ish... will this make my system unstable?

tomski1981

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
i tried overclocking it, but i realized that i can't because i have high idle temps. i need to go out and buy a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX. i got the FSB running at 360 with vCore set at auto, and RAM freq at auto... just to get a taste for what OCing is about... and i realized that my core temps are just under 70 with full load(that's just getting the CPU to 2.88Ghz, instead of 2.66 stock... ).. it sucked, i know. but i learned a little about vDrop.. and am happy with the expierience. i set things back to default for now, (except the RAM freq, which i set at 1066) and things seem to be doing well.

in the meantime, while i wait for the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, is there a difference between voltage increase to the chipset and voltage increase to the CPU? or is it the same? if not, what are some common names for the option to change voltage to the chipset (is the chipset the motherboard??).

thank you again.. you might not even realize how much you've helped me already...

tom

Change the Vcore of the CPU,it may help u get a better OC and better temps because setting the Vcore to "Auto" isn't good and will make problems for u such as heat problems,unstability problems......
Also set the RAM frequency to the lowes option to get 1:1 ratio.(if u want to OC)

I dont recommend changing the voltage of the chipset,do the things as i mentioned above and see what happens.

Glad i could help u :)

tomski1981

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
i will, but first i'll get a decent cooling system.. when i did try doing manual vCore temps, i couldn't get it stable at first, and i got nervous that i was setting different BIOS vCore settings, but got different readings with programs... i didn't understand vDrop. anyhow, now i understand things a little better, but i'll try again only after i get some better cooling.. i'll let you know how things go as soon as i can :)

tom