Question OCing Ryzen 3 2200g with stock cooler?

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Hey guys. So my new build just arrived.

I got a b450 bazooka plus with a ryzen 3 2200g

I also have 3 stock fans for my case from Tecware

Ambient temps here would be around 35°C in the morning with humidity of 53%. Sadly, I don't use aircon so yea, very hot.

Question is, can I OC my Ryzen 3 with the stock cooler? Around 3.7-3.9 if I can...
Or do you guys recommend I should buy a used Deepcool 300r instead? It's still in decent condition... Been used for only 5 months and only costs around 9$... Should I get it? Or use the stock to OC instead?

I have a dedicated GPU (RX570) so I'm not planning to OC the Vega graphics.

Oh, on another note, should I also OC the RAM? Is that a good idea?

I'm sorry, very newb here.

Neither of those coolers is sufficient for overclocking in my opinion. If you want to overclock, then wait until you can afford a halfway decent cooler. The MINIMUM cooler you should be looking at if you want to overclock should be something like the Gammaxx 400 or Hyper 212 EVO, with preference to the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 since it's a better cooler with better performance and a better mounting system. Obviously, those are entry level 120mm coolers but they are plenty good for the 2200g which is a relatively low TDP processor.

As far as the memory is concerned, if you are talking about setting the XMP profile in the BIOS to the advertised profile settings, and calling THAT overclocking, then yes, you should do that. If you are talking about ACTUALLY overclocking the memory beyond the specifications coded into the memory module profile, then no, you should not do that, because clearly you lack the experience and knowledge to do that right now AND there is usually little benefit from doing so anyhow. Set the XMP profile and forget about it. More important is to be sure that you install the memory in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, and set the XMP profile. That is sufficient for getting the best performance out of your memory.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Neither of those coolers is sufficient for overclocking in my opinion. If you want to overclock, then wait until you can afford a halfway decent cooler. The MINIMUM cooler you should be looking at if you want to overclock should be something like the Gammaxx 400 or Hyper 212 EVO, with preference to the Deepcool Gammaxx 400 since it's a better cooler with better performance and a better mounting system. Obviously, those are entry level 120mm coolers but they are plenty good for the 2200g which is a relatively low TDP processor.

As far as the memory is concerned, if you are talking about setting the XMP profile in the BIOS to the advertised profile settings, and calling THAT overclocking, then yes, you should do that. If you are talking about ACTUALLY overclocking the memory beyond the specifications coded into the memory module profile, then no, you should not do that, because clearly you lack the experience and knowledge to do that right now AND there is usually little benefit from doing so anyhow. Set the XMP profile and forget about it. More important is to be sure that you install the memory in the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, and set the XMP profile. That is sufficient for getting the best performance out of your memory.
Hmm okay noted. I'm only planning to mildly overclock my CPU and ignore the APU entirely 😅

Regarding the memory, okay I'll do that. The advertised on my Ballistix sport would be 2666, so I'm just going to set it at that I guess. Thank you so much sir!

Of course. No problem. I would still highly recommend, mild or not, that you avoid overclocking on the stock cooler OR that low end aftermarket model. Neither of them are designed to handle the thermal design power of that CPU after you factor in an overclock AND the all core boost requirements.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Of course. No problem. I would still highly recommend, mild or not, that you avoid overclocking on the stock cooler OR that low end aftermarket model. Neither of them are designed to handle the thermal design power of that CPU after you factor in an overclock AND the all core boost requirements.
Hmmm the gammax 400 is around 25$... I'm planning to wait on a sale before I buy it. But yea, thank you so much sir! Good thing, I almost bought the 300r because I thought it was better than the stock and was hoping to can handle OCing the CPU 😅

Hmmm the gammax 400 is around 25$... I'm planning to wait on a sale before I buy it. But yea, thank you so much sir! Good thing, I almost bought the 300r because I thought it was better than the stock and was hoping to can handle OCing the CPU 😅

To be quite honest, OC'ing Ryzen in most cases isnt highly beneficial. Most Ryzen chips only OC stably about 500-700mhz over. Of course there are some people who have pulled more but its all in the silicone lottery.

So if your thinking about spending a bunch of extra cash to OC a Ryzen chip, you most likely would be better off just letting the turbo core do its job. But I could be wrong and you could have a great overclockable chip.

However if you must OC it, I would suggest getting a at least a 30$ cooler as Ryzen runs a bit hot and if OC'ing your going to need something better than "a budget option".

Also what is your PSU? Is it even able to handle a OC?

If you dont OC, I would still suggest getting a better cooler for better long term performance as well. Something like I have the Cooler Master Hyper T2 has a dual copper loop and only costs about 17$. This is only if your not overclocking. Even though I have overclocked a A8 5600k to 4.1mhz stable using the same cooler, its really not ideal.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
To be quite honest, OC'ing Ryzen in most cases isnt highly beneficial. Most Ryzen chips only OC stably about 500-700mhz over. Of course there are some people who have pulled more but its all in the silicone lottery.

So if your thinking about spending a bunch of extra cash to OC a Ryzen chip, you most likely would be better off just letting the turbo core do its job. But I could be wrong and you could have a great overclockable chip.

However if you must OC it, I would suggest getting a at least a 30$ cooler as Ryzen runs a bit hot and if OC'ing your going to need something better than "a budget option".

Also what is your PSU? Is it even able to handle a OC?

If you dont OC, I would still suggest getting a better cooler for better long term performance as well. Something like I have the Cooler Master Hyper T2 has a dual copper loop and only costs about 17$. This is only if your not overclocking. Even though I have overclocked a A8 5600k to 4.1mhz stable using the same cooler, its really not ideal.

Hope this helps :)

With the 2200g 2400g series, it's a balancing act. You're dealing with a Zen (Not Zen+) CPU matched with Vega graphics. There's a power envelope and as soon as the demands go up on both sides of the APU (CPU & iGPU) both sides will tend to downclock. So if you crank the GPU speed/voltage then your CPU side will suffer as you hit your power envelope quickly.

As others have likely stated in multiple threads, the 2200G and 2400G benefit more from fast memory. Anything up to 2900 yields large dividends in terms of graphics performance.

A Hyper 212 isn't a bad deal at all. It's a favorite among budget builders looking for mild overclocks. If you look you can often find them for $20->$25. Mine successfully cooled my Intel i7-3770K for YEARS and was every bit as effective as a 120mm AIO Liquid cooler. At the stock 1.25 volts, I kept it below 70C & 4.4GHz on all cores. And that isn't half bad.

He has a discreet graphics card, so the idea that the Vega graphics are any sort of factor is probably not realistic. Even so, it's true that the OC headroom, on paper, isn't terrific when compared to the single core boost frequency, HOWEVER, the ALL core boost frequency is generally significantly lower than the single core, so even an OC that isn't, but allows all cores to be boosted to that speed, will help. An actual overclock, of any amount, beyond the single core speed, whether that is 100mhz or 500mhz, that applies to all cores, is at least something for nothing, or if not nothing, at least the minimal investment of a decent CPU cooler which honestly most people should look at doing anyhow if for no other reason than their sanity as relates to not having to hear a 92mm fan buzzing all day at six billion RPM.

Yes, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
He has a discreet graphics card, so the idea that the Vega graphics are any sort of factor is probably not realistic. Even so, it's true that the OC headroom, on paper, isn't terrific when compared to the single core boost frequency, HOWEVER, the ALL core boost frequency is generally significantly lower than the single core, so even an OC that isn't, but allows all cores to be boosted to that speed, will help. An actual overclock, of any amount, beyond the single core speed, whether that is 100mhz or 500mhz, that applies to all cores, is at least something for nothing, or if not nothing, at least the minimal investment of a decent CPU cooler which honestly most people should look at doing anyhow if for no other reason than their sanity as relates to not having to hear a 92mm fan buzzing all day at six billion RPM.

Yes, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

I mean yea any OC is better than no OC. My thing though is he already seems like hes on a tight budget, so I feel for what he would get out of the OC isnt much justified spending a bunch of extra cash just to pull a couple extra frames (5 max) at best.

You are right though either way he should be looking for a better cooler.

Pulling "extra" frames is rarely the benefit we want to see, because usually MORE FPS isn't the problem, although it certainly CAN be. Of more importance, often, is not having DROPS in FPS because of lower all core boost performance OR thermal issues. If an increase in all core frequency and boost performance can help to reduce any minimum FPS issues, then it's well worth it. Not every gain will necessary TAKE you to another level, but making the level of performance you currently have a bit more consistent can be a major gain of it's own.

Reactions: Karadjgne