OCing the 9600k. Question on voltage.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hey all,

I currently have a system that I just popped a 9600k in for funzies and I am looking to OC it. I was able to get all cores to 5ghz on "auto voltage".

Running prime95/aida64/intel extreme benchmark/realbench temps were at about 71C max. However, when looking at the vcore, it was rising above 1.4v. It was going between 1.375 and 1.42ish during aid64.

Even though temps were fine (I have a pretty aggressive liquid cooler and a huge case), I don't really want the voltage that high.

There are 3 options for voltage on my asrock z390 motherboard: Auto, Fixed, and Offset. If I put a fixed voltage of 1.35, won't the vcore stay there 100% of the time? I don't want to fry my chip super fast, I just want a decent 24/7 overclock.

Would you suggest offset or fixed? Also, if I do do an offset do you have a suggestion for a starting voltage?

Also, for load line calibration there are Levels 1-5 and disabled. Judging by some guides, it seems for overclocking level 1-2 may be good? I have it at 4 currently but I'm wondering if that will cause instability.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
if you have adaptive voltage, that would work the best to keep temps under control. If not, use Auto. the voltage doesn't matter as much as the temperatures. as long as your temps are in check, its ok to go above 1.35 volts. Use only the voltage you need to keep stable at 5ghz.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Unfortunately adaptive is not an option. Alright, I'll just go with auto.