oc'ng tbirds

G

hi. has anyone ever had any problems (or heard any horror stories) oc'ng a socket7 tbird? I'm lookin to get a 750 or even an 850, but I'd like to squeeze a bit of juice outta it...hopefully using just a high-quality hs/fan on an a7v...:)

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Horror Story: Don't crush your cpu when you mount the heatsink. Copper shims rule, and their only 5 bucks.
I have yet to see a 750+ T-Bird not reach at least 950 with decent cooling.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, to be honest, I've never heard of <b><i>socket 7</i></b> tbirds... That is why I am so suprised wen I saw socket 7 processors can be overclocked to 700+ hehe :tongue:

------------------------------------
Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on

G

Hey,
Socket 7 Tbirds? Do you mean Socket A, or 7. Do they even exist? Whoa iff they do let me know I could have some use for that. Otherwise take casution with the fan, there have been a ton of problems with people crushing their cores when they put the fan on.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

Hehe, there's definitively no Socket 7 Thunderbird. There are some Slot A ones, but originally they were only supposed for OEM use, and mobo/genereal support for them is not very good.

Another horror story, also fan related, make sure the cooler is properly fitted. If the CPU runs without for only a very short amoung of time, it overheats and won't work anymore. AMDs don't have emergency shut downs :|
Also, most fans have some sort of tape on them which you have to remove before first use, or they won't work properly.