OCUK raises prices of HD5870 and still sell out on stock day

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I noticed this morning that OCUK had received a batch of XFX HD5870 cards of 10+ as indicated by their website, yesterday they were entirely out of stock for all brands. And then i noticed an hour later the price had gone up to over £314 (still cheap), and now i'm home from work they have sold out yet again! I wonder if this price-hike will continue for the foreseeable future, as there is an extremely high-demand-low-stock situation happening at the moment, retailers could raise prices significantly and still sell these with ease. What do you reckon?

jennyh

Splendid
It's the most demand I've seen for a top end gpu in a long time. We just don't know if it is a problem with supply or if it is incredible demand though. It is probably somewhere close to the middle point.

What I find most amazing is that they are selling so fast at a price which goes beyond most ATI sales, at least for many years. To me that says historical Nvidia buyers are buying these 5870's in droves. It's the gamers who have money to burn that are snapping them up - that was nvidia's old market but now it looks a bit shaky.

I suspect this will remain the case for a few more weeks, which makes me wonder if there will be any BlackFriday specials on the HD5870 as it's only about a month away.
I don't doubt it will likely be a little cheaper by then, but I'm not sure if people will fire-sale them unless stocks dramatically improve or demand suddenly drops off (hey people can still hope for the G300 to help out ;) ).

It's unfortunate for AMD that it's the retailers getting the premiums on the cards, and not them, they probably could've used the money.

purplefire

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I'm holding out for the Sapphire vapor-X variant, but where the heck is it? What i really want to know is, if someone wins one of them tomorrow in one of the competitions, the release date can't be far off, so why haven't they published a release date? Why doesn't the Sapphire site even make a mention of it? It doesn't make any tactical sales sense as far as i can tell. Unless of course they're letting the viral nature of the internet advertise for them, with those three supposedly leaked photos of the prototype card.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

It is unfortunate in one way but can be very fortunate in another. If the cards sell so fast and the retailers get good profit, other maybe more nVidia inclined retailers will start to join, and then ATI will profit.