Oculus Go HMD: What We Know (So Far), Including SoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
the Go will support only 3DoF
They should sell a QR-code style poster you can use to upgrade it to 6-DoF. As long as the poster is in view of its camera and large enough, it'd be easy to determine the HMD's pose. They know all of its camera's implicit parameters - it wouldn't even be that hard.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
So 7 of the 7 lead stories on Toms (plus several below) are about Oculus. Is Toms now a marketing arm of that firm? I missed the news if so.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No, they're simply reporting on Oculus Connect - the annual event Oculus holds for developers & their partners, and a good opportunity to make announcements. It's not unlike events held by many other big industry players (Intel's Developer Forum, Nvidia's GTC, Microsoft Build, AMD GDC, Google IO, etc.).

Might want to down-shift that cynicism, just a bit.

I happen to like the news from Oculus Connect. Sounds like Oculus will continue to stay competitive if anything.

I still say the next VR device I get will have a higher resolution and a larger FOV.
(And it would be nice to have a wireless connection to the PC... Thank you Intel!)

Standalone VR is all good but I want better graphics and I don't think an SoC is anywhere near a GTX 970. (Original GPU Requirement)

Intel has a new device I might buy though...
"supports dual 4Kp60 displays"
It will support 4K VR but it seems @ only 60Hz. (Not enough if you ask me.)
(Or current Gen VR at full 90Hz)
http://www.displaylink.com/vr

Planning on buying it as an add on if it gets released as an actual product. I think the Vive 2 or Rift 2 products should have this standard/built-in. On the other hand it won't happen if Intel demands an excessive premium price which would drive up the cost of the PC connected 2nd Gen products.

Brian28

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
@ARBIE - Oculus did just have a big annual conference, so of course there were several big stories to come out of it, just like the day of a Google I/O or Apple event. Would you expect Tom to not cover those?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Be sure to use it in a room with a concrete or tile floor - somewhere easy to clean up the vomit. Their solution adds > 10 ms. IMO, that's unacceptable, especially if you don't have any form of ATW in the HMD. The leading wireless silicon solutions add < 2 ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.