Oculus Remains Silent After Community, Dev Backlash Over Luckey Funding Anti-Hillary Memes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say I'm surprised, whether I agree with what Luckey's doing or not. Politics is a very divided game and it's one of the old standby's to avoid in the workplace. Much like religion, the best of friends can get along until the topic changes to something so divided in which both camps have their strong beliefs.

Some of these companies and figure heads would be best off to keep quiet and exercise their right to privately pulling the lever in the voting booth voting as any other citizen does. Plenty of well known names have come forward in this election cycle spouting their beliefs and it has an impact. There are quite a few people in hollywood I wish would have kept their thoughts to themselves since my view of them has changed and I no longer watch their movies. Before spouting off when their politics were unknown, I didn't care.

I think people get concerned when it involves tech, regardless of which candidate it is. Social media sites and even search sites which are open about their liberal support, it's been found that their views extend down into their products. Messages being deleted if they oppose liberal views, search results coming up with a liberal slant and hiding other links which show on other search engine results.

It becomes more than just an individual's political beliefs apart and separate from a service or product. Anyone who is in the spotlight, a figure head or anything else should know it's no longer like being an 'average Joe'. If your neighbor goes out to get ice cream and fast food no one cares. If it's the founder or ceo of a tech firm, if they happen to be overweight, if it's a government official it's front page news. If they want their life to be private they need to keep it private, if they want to be judged by the masses who will invariably judge them then by all means shine a spotlight on it.

It sounds like many are backing away from Oculus because of a potential political slant. It's also likely many people may very well choose Oculus because of it. I think much of it goes hand in hand with what people do or don't know or how much of a big deal people make of something. In this case it's been made a large news story and so everyone is screaming boycott Oculus. Why no backlash over Bethesda games or boycott of the skyrim or fallout series? After all they're owned by Zenimax and Trump Management is on the board of directors. I'm betting many people who love those games had no clue and there was no major story around it so no one cared. What they didn't know didn't hurt them.

I'm pretty sure NewtonVR will support OculusTouch contrary to their statement; they get money that way. It's all about the money. I didn't even know of NewtonVR until this post. Hey wait, that's just getting them more money, by calling out Oculus.

dabeargrowls

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
The world is full of pussies. Aww... lets boycott because someone is using their freedom of speech. lol...what a bunch of chumps! please leave the US and go to France or somewhere like that.

BCFosheezy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I think the liberals have forgot that hillary is white. So making memes that poke fun at the facts that she 1. has no accomplishments 2. got 4 Americans killed in Benghazi 3. Set up an illegal private email server to circumvent FOIA 4. Lied about that server 5. Has SERIOUS health issues
IS NOT racist. Disagreeing with democrats doesn't make you racist. You all got so brainwashed by calling everyone who disagrees with obama's policies a racist that you forgot that there actually needs to be some racism present to call someone a racist and not look foolish.

Fireniner3

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Basically devs don't want to develop for oculus because of something palmer had done, yet it's really the customers who bought the vr gear that would be on the poop end of that stick. Not like someone can just spend another 800 to play the games that the devs develop for.

Those aren't required qualifications to run for president.

TCG-CT

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
And the last thing a tech website writer should be doing is commenting on an individual's political contributions. The last paragraph of your so called story: "Oculus met repeated setbacks and public outcry over the cost of the Rift hardware, shipping woes, and the continued lack of Touch announcements. As the company approaches OC3, its third annual developer conference, the last thing it should be doing is upsetting the developers that are willing to take the early risk on virtual reality." proves that you are just another political hack attempting to smear a person for their political views that don't agree with your own.

Now that you have revealed your agenda, I hope some people will see you for what you are and choose to get their tech news from someplace else.

The thing I don't like about Gary Johnson is it seems he doesn't care about climate change. Bill Nye seems to disagree. Sorry, gotta go with Bill Nye. ;)
[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CPsGanO_U][/video]

Not that I'd vote based on that alone. But I mean, it's a real thing.

Okay back on topic. I agree the end of the article does make the author sound democratic.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Friend, I'm not sure what your qualm is with the article, particularly the bit you quoted.

It is a fact that Oculus has had some missteps. Surely it does not want bad PR of any kind just a couple of weeks before its own dev conference. But this is very bad PR. I'm not sure I see how that reflects an agenda of any kind on anyone's part?

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

That is a fair criticism. I will ponder this.

In a way by saying Oculus should not upset them, it sort of implies Oculus is the one at fault here. Rather than saying the last thing they need is for devs to get upset, it says the last thing they need is to upset the devs. There's a difference.

Kewl Handle

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Please, someone, describe one of these "bigoted" memes that he funds. Leftists have found it all too easy to label opponents of theirs without any supporting facts. Just because someone says something you disagree with doesn't make them a bigot, but weak minded leftists have no other means to debate their position. We've seen this tactic many times before. The ideologies of "the people" and of "compassion" are responsible for the deaths of untold millions just in the last century. Crack a history book instead of retweeting garbage that your righteous commissars put out. Useful idiots always become useless soon after they get what they long for.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Gentle reminder to keep the discussion centered around the subject of the article (that the founder of Oculus is financially backing a political trolling group), rather than the horse race of Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. This is not the venue to settle partisan politics.

Thanks!

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Second notice - I will be removing any posts that violate our terms of service and guidelines regarding personal insults, attacks, vulgarity, and so forth.

This is not a platform for hate speech targeting any group of people. Let's keep the discussion germane to the topic at hand, and again, in strict adherence to the rules of conduct for what is a tech site. Thanks!

-JP

Brandon Schilling

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
What are these racist memes that everyone is up in arms about? Googling brings up nothing but articles like this that all mention these terrible racist memes, but I can't actually find them, and Nimble America's website is extremely benign. To me it looks as if the bigots are the ones boycotting Luckey because he is isn't falling in to line and supporting Hillary. (I could be completely wrong since I have not seen these supposed memes)

Dark Falz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
Only the left has this bizarre notion that companies they patron need to share their political beliefs. It's not just intolerant - it's borderline authoritarian.

RealBeast

Titan
I'm surprised that anyone with a functioning cerebrum would not expect consequences of political actions either way in this very divisive year.

Even following one's conscience has costs, endorsements lost, etc. for taking a knee to protest what some see as injustice.

As a kid I heard everyone berating those who protested the Vietnam war, it just took a long time to see that they were on the correct side of history.

Why don't we all just try to be a little more tolerant for those who don't agree with us, except of course on strictly computer related problems. :)

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Consider it this way, Oculus was built on massive amounts of kickstarter money. Effectively we built him up, he used his integrity as a stepping stone as a public figure to build the Rift. Turning around and getting involved in guerilla politics after that shines a bad light on his character and by extension on his product. While I know HTC is probably buying votes in Washington I wouldn't buy from them if I knew WHO they were buying votes for.

Status
Not open for further replies.