Oculus Reveals Launch Titles, 30 Games Plus 'Lucky's Tale' Bundled

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwguessjr

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
why have a oculus home I have allready put significant investment into steam as my online gaming source. does this mean i can only play games on oculus's home and will not be able to use games i allready own. i.e. wow or SC. this will be a deciding factor in wether i get one of these.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Well, for starters, a VR HMD does not replace your monitor. Games designed for standard displays need special drivers to be converted to work in VR.
A game like Wow, or Starcraft would not work in VR though, as far as I'm aware, becasue Blizzard doesn't allow external modifyers on its games.

You can play games on a virtual big screen wiht a VR headset. Oculus does not currentlty support Steam games natively this way, but there may be some 3rd part software down the line.
You can play Xbox One games this away though.

If you want to play tour Steam library that way, you'll want to look at a Vive instead. Valve announced a mode that allows you to play your entire Steam catalogue on a VR bigscreen.

Proper VR games have different needs though. Valve created SteamVR, which is similar to Big Picture, and Oculus has Home.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
All of this proprietary software garbage is a gigantic red flag. My strong advice to anyone foolish enough to install anything from Facebook on their system: firewall the hell out of it and do not ever, ever, run any of it with administrative privs.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
As for AAA titles...

Hopefully, the Rift does not have the 'gets people sick' problem the Vive has with Elite Dangerous. Although users in the ED forums mention they have to turn settings down to get the DK2 to work w/o nausea (probably by keeping the framerate up). Same idea with the 'screen door' effect...hopefully not on the release version.

For Project Cars, you should note the Oculus release version "highlights the limited pixel density of the Rift, and even with anti-aliasing you still get pop-in and jaggies as a result."

sources:
- sick; article comments here at Toms by Kevin
- turn settings down; from Elite Dangerous "VR discussion and support"
- poor AA/jaggies and pop in; AnandTech article 16 Mar 2016

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
As for AAA titles...

Hopefully, the Rift does not have the 'gets people sick' problem the Vive has with Elite Dangerous. Although users in the ED forums mention they have to turn settings down to get the DK2 to work w/o nausea (probably by keeping the framerate up). Same idea with the 'screen door' effect...hopefully not on the release version.

For Project Cars, you should note the Oculus release version "highlights the limited pixel density of the Rift, and even with anti-aliasing you still get pop-in and jaggies as a result."

sources:

I don't think - at least with current technology - that you can completely eliminate the "gets people sick" problem. The latency between head/eye/hand movement and the HMD's screen will eventually be eliminated, but you are still left with the problem of your brain. Your eyes ca be fooled to think that they are moving through the game's environment, but your brain has other inputs that tell it that your body is not moving or experiencing any acceleration/deceleration. That dissonance between inputs is what causes discomfort and nausea.

You can decrease these effects, by improving the experience and the immersion as much as possible. A good example is VR treadmills like the Virtuix Omni. It's more natural for your brain to experience a first-person shooter environment with the body in an upright position and walking, instead of sitting on a chair or couch while your eyes "think" you are walking.

Even with these improvements though, some people's brains might still be too sensitive to these differences from the real world. In the FPS example, even with a Virtuix Omni and a very good HMD, you still have other issues. For instance, there is no actual acceleration or deceleration when you walk/run/stop and your brain can tell. Even your character's height might throw your brain off, as it sees the ground in a different distance than what it's been used to for years.

Maybe in the future we'll see VR systems that tap into our brain and fool it on other levels, not just optical. Or who knows, maybe we're just not used to it yet and future generations, with VR available at birth, might adapt and overcome those issues.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
All of this proprietary software garbage is a gigantic red flag. My strong advice to anyone foolish enough to install anything from Facebook on their system: firewall the hell out of it and do not ever, ever, run any of it with administrative privs.

Windows 10 is 87 times worse.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
As for AAA titles...

sources:

Any comments I have made in the past regarding how Project Cars performs is irrelevant. I have not yet played the game on Retail hardware, nor have I played it with the latest build.

I don't think - at least with current technology - that you can completely eliminate the "gets people sick" problem. The latency between head/eye/hand movement and the HMD's screen will eventually be eliminated, but you are still left with the problem of your brain. Your eyes ca be fooled to think that they are moving through the game's environment, but your brain has other inputs that tell it that your body is not moving or experiencing any acceleration/deceleration. That dissonance between inputs is what causes discomfort and nausea.

You can decrease these effects, by improving the experience and the immersion as much as possible. A good example is VR treadmills like the Virtuix Omni. It's more natural for your brain to experience a first-person shooter environment with the body in an upright position and walking, instead of sitting on a chair or couch while your eyes "think" you are walking.

Even with these improvements though, some people's brains might still be too sensitive to these differences from the real world. In the FPS example, even with a Virtuix Omni and a very good HMD, you still have other issues. For instance, there is no actual acceleration or deceleration when you walk/run/stop and your brain can tell. Even your character's height might throw your brain off, as it sees the ground in a different distance than what it's been used to for years.

Maybe in the future we'll see VR systems that tap into our brain and fool it on other levels, not just optical. Or who knows, maybe we're just not used to it yet and future generations, with VR available at birth, might adapt and overcome those issues.

latency is not a problem. hand and head tracking are one to one. Any lag is imperceptabble from my experiences.

There certainly are games that don't work well for VR. Your example of moving in an FPS is a great one. Moving with a joystick while sitting can be very uncomfortabble for many people. That's one of the reasons you won't see a Call of Duty like game on Rift, at least not for a while.

Acceleration is definitely a problem in VR, but that's why it's generally not done. Most developers have figured out that constant motion is fine, but acceleration and deceleration are not. Seated settings like being in a cockpit tend to cheat that in a way, likely because we're used to riding in vehicles and planes, and not feeling a lot of the sensory input you'd expect from something like riding a bike, where you are exposed to the elements.

The Omni does let you accelerate and decelerate, and it's not uncomfortable to do that, because you have to physically move faster to move faster in a game. Transition between two speeds is not a problem on the Omni.

Character height is a little weird when its a dramatic change, but your mind gets used to it fairly quickly. In the case of the Vive, it can tell where you are standing, and how tall you are, so you are represented in the virtual space as you are in real life. The Rift may or may not do this. I have no idea yet.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Any comments I have made in the past regarding how Project Cars performs is irrelevant. I have not yet played the game on Retail hardware, nor have I played it with the latest build.
- Kevin

Kevin, I was actually referring to comments about Elite, but your response above could be applicable to Elite as well, so I guess it's better to wait and see info from the release version.

Speaking of that sort of situation, it seems like VR is something you really need to try a bit before you buy. Are they going to place a demo set in some major stores (like Best Buy, Fry's, etc) where people can try it for 5 or 10 minutes on a game of their choice (that supports VR)? Or do they expect people to buy/try/return?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

VR is definitely a try before you get it type of thing.
I have yet to see any negative remarks from anyone who has actually tried the final product from Oculus or HTC. There are some games that can make you sick, but the overall experience for most people has been overwhelmingly positive about VR. I'm not afraid to say you won't be disapointed with the tech if you buy before you try, but there's no way to fully convey what it feels like.

Oculus is definitly cognicent of the fact that people need hands-on experience to fully grasp what VR is like. There will be demos in Best Buy stores at some point this year. We don't know exactly when yet though.
I would expect that we won't see store demos until pre-orders are fulfilled. Makes no sense to tease the consumer base with something they can't even buy off the shelf yet.
Oculus might have saved some inventory for retail though. That I'm not sure about.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Thanks for the info. I will check it out if they pop up in a local store. I do hope they have a range of games to show. Mix some AAA type Elite, P Cars with the games made specifically for VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.