Oculus Rift: Changing The VR Landscape At CES 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Why gaming only? Why not be your monitor for browsers and everything else you would use a monitor! Eyeball tracking would be easy and standard input devises would be usable too. They should also put a camera on the outside, so you could switch or overlay the outside with the inside to see your physical environment when needed so you don't have to take the headset off briefly to see where you put your drink or reach for anything else in you physical environment.

cleeve

Illustrious
Obviously the tech has a lot more potential uses, but I believe that Gaming is the huge industry that will allow the Rift to achieve critical mass.

Certainly after there's a large deployment of the tech, we'll see many interesting uses for the Rift headset that has nothing to do with games.

inscothen

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Gaming will sell this. Other applications could include therapy, education, training, research and development.....

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Now that's something that could use 440PPI (or more) screens! I don't really know if these smartphones coming out with 1080p screens would benefit from that kind of PPI, but since Occulus seems to have the screens way closer to your eyes. (Not sure if there are still lenses or something in there, but yeah, I'd really think super high PPI would be beneficial then.) :D

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Interestingly, super high resolution isn't as necessary in the 3D world. You can look at those stereographic images online (the ones where you have to relax your eyes till' they nearly cross). They're fairly low resolution images. What happens is that your brain takes that pixelated image, in the 3D space, and 'fills in' the missing data. It's pretty cool. You just 'understand' the data that should be there.

FWIW, contrast is more, if not equally as, important than resolution. You can have all the resolution in the world. But if you don't have contrast, you'll never be able to perceive the resolution.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]good thing it's not like the VR I just watched in Sword Art Online![/citation]

lol Soo good but so slow much better than any of the hack series.

xpeh

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]good thing it's not like the VR I just watched in Sword Art Online![/citation]

I hope we can start watching anime in virtual reality soon.

G

Somebody should start finding Kayaba Akihiko! Only 9 more years till the making of the NerveGear.

Jokes aside, they should probably look at SAOs style for VR games.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Now that you mention it sumuk I think horror games would be freaking awesome on this specially after taking some ambient lol. I remember playing RE 2 on that stuff o that was interesting.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Cant wait. I wonder if it would work with smart phones too as an external monitor. It would be a great way to view a movie while traveling by bus/train/airplane...

gtracer93

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Part of your statement is false. I have both a Samsung Active 3D and a LG Cinema 3D. I can watch my LG Cinema 3D, in 3D from any angle and with my head tilted, and it remains 3D. The samsung, not so much. But 3D is amazing on the LG with 240hz. So you're broad statement of Polarized and existing 3D doesn't allow angle viewing, isn't 100% accurate.

Two questions:
1. Does it avoid the discrepancy between the focus distance for the lenses of the eyes and the apparent distance based on binocular cues?
2. Is it usable by someone who already has glasses?

cleeve

Illustrious

Not possible by it's very nature. Some solutions are better than others, but if you tilt your head 90 degrees any 3D screen will fail.

Not so with the Rift.

[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Not possible by it's very nature. Some solutions are better than others, but if you tilt your head 90 degrees any 3D screen will fail.[/citation]

If you go all the way to 90 degrees, the 3d effect will look wrong (or the display might go completely dark with active shutter glasses), but minor tilts would only cause a problem with linearly polarized glasses. Some screens use circular polarization.

jin_mtvt

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
As cool as all this sounds, there is currently no excuses for a sub 720P display for each eyes.
There are currently a myriad of OLED and LCD screens of usable sizes, with very high quality and very low prices.

This devide will NOT WORK if the quality of the display is not equal to the current SONY HZM headset.

Also understand that with a 100degree of FOV< the pixels need to cover a much larger area than let's say 40 to 70FOV ..so there should be much more horizontal pixels than usually.
( this may be difficult to achieve depending on the optics used in the game and in the headset )

I'd pay 5-700$ without any hesitation if they call pull it out with an upgraded hd high quality display.

Remeber Nintendo V-Boy ..great concept ..awfull 2 color graphics = fail

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
They should produce models that are alternative to 3D glasses and screens and get them in the market fast. They should develop software wrapper because I'd love to play my favourite parts of 20 year PC gaming history with those. If they deny me that pleasure I won't even consider buying it. They can put off controller and eyeball tracking features for later revisions because it probably wont work as good and precise as trusty mouse and keyboard and... I don't like paying for features I don't want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.