Oculus Rift Competitor "Totem" Shows Up On Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great another startup abusing passionate fan money all the while cynically itching to sellout to giant corporations as soon as the offer is big enough <cough> Mojang <cough> Oculus. Meanwhile the backers get pretty much bupkis.

leeb2013

Honorable

good point actually. I tried a friend's Sony VR goggles and it was just like looking at the TV in the lounge. Nowhere near as good as wide aspect/multimonitor.

I too want it to fill my field of view.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

good point actually. I tried a friend's Sony VR goggles and it was just like looking at the TV in the lounge. Nowhere near as good as wide aspect/multimonitor.

I too want it to fill my field of view.

meh, i just imagine a raceing game where i want to turn my head and the view changes... thats what i want... fov would be nice but for me, whatever works is what ill use.

Eudy Contreras

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Im pretty sure this aims towards the crowd that enjoys 3d visuals. How about people who own 3d vision? Will this be compatible? We all want to know if any of this kits will be compatible with 3d vision. Whats the point of buying something with such a limited list of support, and that needs specific games and demos in order to function properly

Eudy Contreras

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
Im pretty sure this aims towards the crowd that enjoys 3d visuals. How about people who own 3d vision? Will this be compatible? We all want to know if any of this kits will be compatible with 3d vision. Whats the point of buying something with such a limited list of support, and that needs specific games and demos in order to function properly

AlbertXi

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
Main problem? That Nvidia is really a POS, they dont support SBS in the 3D mode, only their stupid conf, I have a HDTV 3D I had to pay for 3DVISION, and to play games I must low the resolution to 720p in order to be able to play at 60fps (HDMI limitation), if I could have 3D SBS it will be compatible with almost all systems,have full 60fps and have better resolution than 720p, but Nvidia needs to seel their s%&/

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Hmm, while it's good to see the emergence of competitors, especially when we don't really know what Facebook is going to do to the Occulus Rift, I really don't like the design. Personally I'm much more interested in Sony's Morpheus design, as I just don't like VR headsets that put so much bulk on your face; a comfort-oriented design should move the heavier components (battery in particular) to the back of the device to counter-balance the rest.

I Hate Nvidia

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I think Microsoft should buy this project, why? the answer is simply that they don't have an answer (yet) to project Morpheos , and the possibilities of combining this with Kinect are endless!

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
100 degrees is still not enough viewing angle (I'd like to see 140, but you need a TON of resolution to make that workable)... so going to 90 is even worse! (and it's worse by a LOT more than you'd think from the 'only 10 degree' spec difference) The 10 degree loss in angle is far more of a downside than all the little tweaks they put in to outspec the Occulus elsewhere. Immersion people... we're looking for FLIPPIN IMMERSION. I don't want to be looking at the equivalent of a 120" screen at 10 feet, I want the equivalent of standing on the edge of the waterfall at Yosemite and looking out at the valley! Get with the program!!

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I say welcome all the competition! Remember people, in practical business/economics GENERALLY competition is a GOOD thing. Good luck Totem! With all the feedback that will be incoming and tweaking, maybe in the long run this could be an overall better solution to either Morpheus or Oculus atm.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
If you watch the video on the kickstarter the "video" playing from the laptop of Rahul Sood it looks completely cut, edited and made from something completely different. He never directly addresses what product he's talking about. Little cuts and frame skips every second or so. That's incredibly shady and would probably have more credibility if that piece was not included in the kickstarter video.

Status
Not open for further replies.