Oculus Rift Development Kits Arriving in Customer Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Next thing you know people will get stuck in their virtual worlds and some crazy person will make a life or death game that must be played for everyone to escape the world.

Nerve Gear is on its way... SaO

With that out of the way... I can't believe its finally here, and I hope this product blows people away. Now if only there was a simple way to get a company like microsoft or intel to "support" this product...

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Now if only there was a simple way to get a company like microsoft or intel to "support" this product...[/citation]Why??? They need game developers, not companies like those..

Anyway, good looking stuff.. ^^ Hope to get my hands on one as soon as it's released..

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I wonder when Valve plans to release the update to Team Fortress 2 that adds Oculus Rift support. They announced it back in March with no mention of exactly when we could expect it.

pyrotek85

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Next thing you know people will get stuck in their virtual worlds and some crazy person will make a life or death game that must be played for everyone to escape the world.Nerve Gear is on its way... SaOWith that out of the way... I can't believe its finally here, and I hope this product blows people away. Now if only there was a simple way to get a company like microsoft or intel to "support" this product...[/citation]

This is what I tell people who say the Oculus is a stupid idea. We need something like it to get to the next step, we won't suddenly see something with total immersion like nerve gear on store shevles, not without something leading up to it. 3D gaming has had a lot of false starts throughout the years, but I think the tech is mature enough and cheap enough for consumers that it can be successful finally.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]I wonder when Valve plans to release the update to Team Fortress 2 that adds Oculus Rift support. They announced it back in March with no mention of exactly when we could expect it.[/citation]
It's out. Run the game with -vr

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

SaO? has everyone forgotten about .hack?

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Im all for technology inovation but I'm afraid that this will just be another gimmick. 1280x800 meh... But still I want to believe that this will suceed.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I will have to try a demo unit before plunking down money on it, but it sounds great. Hopefully Best Buy will have a demo unit. I am excited for the consumer level version. I hope it comes in at a reasonable price. If I normally wear glasses or contacts due to near-sightedness, would it make sense to take them off? Anyone with a similar situation, please let me know.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Tom's, your new commenting is fugly. I can see there will be many double-posts due to the way it operates. New comments are hidden and the comment box does not get cleared after a comment is posted. Now to hunt for the edit comments and attempt to delete some of my duplicates. What happened to the nice shortcut that use to be at the top... Cool I figured it out.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Because companies like Microsoft created Direct X, and companies like Intel outsell video chipsets 10 to 1 over AMD and NVidia combined. In the PC sector, these two companies more than any game developer can make new hardware/software be accepted.

Getting a developer behind this is all good, but getting a standard created and extensions built into hardware and into the OS would be much better.

CaptnYesterday

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Meh, I wouldn't get too excited. Fast action FPS like TF2 would have been one of my last choices for re-introducing VR. If anything though, it can be taken as an excellent test for how well VR can work in a 'worst case' scenario.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
.Hack or SAO...Yuki Kajiura will be there to provide the epic world music.
SAO is on everyone's recent memory in the anime community, even to such a point you seldom see any reviewers even mentioning their similarities. we may not see big name support immediately, but let's hope for some basic support for something like GuildWars2, ElderScrolls, and maybe even something like a NeedForSpeed or Gran Turismo. MS could knock one out of the park by buying like a hundred of these things, adapting them to the Xbox ONE + Kinect; and maybe do a cursory plug-in to something like Fable.

Status
Not open for further replies.